Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Am I running too hot? i5-2500k

Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2012 10:15:32 PM

This is currently my temp while running Guild Wars 2 and a MSE full scan. I have a coolermaster hyper 212 plus replacing the stock one.

A little concerned that these temps are high, computer is below desk in the corner end.

Could my cooler be seated improperly?

More about : running hot 2500k

a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 11:41:11 PM

That's a bit high. Does your case have good airflow, and do you have case fans?
Score
September 13, 2012 11:46:52 PM

That is quite a bit high. Make sure you've got adequate airflow (case fans and wall clearance), clean out dust, and if that doesn't work reseat the cooler.
Score
Related resources
a c 140 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 11:51:11 PM

eosterik said:
Could my cooler be seated improperly?

Do you have a rear exhaust fan drawing air across the CPU area with the 212+ pushing air towards it?

Any HSF would have a hard time keeping the CPU cool if it keeps re-ingesting the same hot air it spewed out seconds earlier.
Score
September 14, 2012 12:07:17 AM

This is after a reseating, going to make sure fans are pointing the same way. This is with GW2 open and a 1080p stream on the other monitor.
Score
a c 140 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 12:20:12 AM

60C is a little hot but is to be expected with the stock cooler.

Do you still hear the fan spiking even with that background load? If so, do those fan spikes correspond to those ~70C spikes?
Score
September 14, 2012 12:56:32 AM

InvalidError said:
60C is a little hot but is to be expected with the stock cooler.

Do you still hear the fan spiking even with that background load? If so, do those fan spikes correspond to those ~70C spikes?

I'm not running the stock cooler, I am running a Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus. The fan starts up when under load and stays on. I went and did some digging I only have 1 case fan in the back and it was in fact blowing towards the CPU fan, I turned that around and moved the computer to an open area in my room.

It is however still running the same temp. I had never reseated a CPU before but I got Artic 5 and followed the instructions, I did have to move the Heatsink back and forth on the CPU to get the screws to match up and fit, is it an issue if I move it around before tightening it down?

Keep in mind my house is relatively hot.
Score
a c 140 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 1:02:11 AM

eosterik said:
I did have to move the Heatsink back and forth on the CPU to get the screws to match up and fit, is it an issue if I move it around before tightening it down?

If you only moved it sideways without pulling on it, it should be fine.

Pulling can be bad since it can cause the paste puddle to separate and trap bubbles when it comes back together.

As for the stock HSF comment, I got mixed up with another thread.
Score
September 14, 2012 1:04:34 AM

InvalidError said:
If you only moved it sideways without pulling on it, it should be fine.

Pulling can be bad since it can cause the paste puddle to separate and trap bubbles when it comes back together.

As for the stock HSF comment, I got mixed up with another thread.

I may have pulled on it about without realizing it but I don't think I did, mostly just moved it side to side and rotated it

So what are my options here, Is this too hot or can I just live with it? Should I remove the overclock?
Score
a c 140 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 1:13:59 AM

68C is not great but is not much of a concern either. But the cores are only loaded to ~25% in your update so you might want to re-do your temperature check with all cores over 80% load.
Score
September 14, 2012 2:40:06 AM

Reseated again and same temperatures, getting a little discouraged.

Should I maybe invest in a h80? The hyper 212 evo seems to be the problem. My issue is I have been running this for a few months at these temps so is the damage probably done?
Score
September 14, 2012 2:48:14 AM

eosterik said:

Well, it seems that you're running a overclock of 4.3. If you're having problems with the cooler I suggest going back to stock 3.3 and re applying your thermal paste.
Score
September 14, 2012 2:49:03 AM

Lunixed said:
Well, it seems that you're running a overclock of 4.3. If you're having problems with the cooler I suggest going back to stock 3.3 and re applying your thermal paste.

I was under the impression that a Hyper 212 evo would handle a 4.3 OC on a 2500k, should I maybe invest in a h80 to replace it?
Score
September 14, 2012 2:49:41 AM

eosterik said:

Should I maybe invest in a h80? The hyper 212 evo seems to be the problem. My issue is I have been running this for a few months at these temps so is the damage probably done?

I've heard it's just as bad. I would go for a Noctua NH 14 (Newegg had them on sell yesterday) or better yet a Phantek PE.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 2:53:54 AM

eosterik said:
My issue is I have been running this for a few months at these temps so is the damage probably done?

Those are nowhere near damaging temps (even the first screen shot). You're fine.

Your last screen shot is close to what I see with my own 212 Evo on my 2500K @ 4.5, though (High 50's-low 60's in Prime 95).

The Evo is great. No need to go to a H80. The only thing I would get over a 212 Evo is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE or Noctua NH-D14 (or H100, if you really want to go with closed loop water).

I'm thinking room temp, case airflow, or voltage is the problem here. What you're seeing is warm for you small-ish OC (especially considering I could go further than 4.5, if I wanted to).
Score
September 14, 2012 2:54:19 AM

eosterik said:
I was under the impression that a Hyper 212 evo would handle a 4.3 OC on a 2500k, should I maybe invest in a h80 to replace it?

Well yes, if you purchase "better thermal paste" and add a second fan, it should do that without a problem. If you want something that could eat any overclock, I would go for Phanteks PE (better colors).
Score
a c 140 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 2:55:47 AM

Well, based on what CoreTemp says, you are running your CPU slightly over-volted and 500MHz above stock clock with a 212+ so somewhat high-ish temperatures are to be expected. Since you said your home is "relatively hot", how warm would that be in dC?

Below 70C is still acceptable.
Score
September 14, 2012 2:56:24 AM

Quote:
Those are nowhere near damaging temps (even the first screen shot). You're fine.

Your last screen shot is close to what I see with my own 212 Evo on my 2500K @ 4.5, though (High 50's-low 60's in Prime 95).

The Evo is great. No need to go to a H80. The only thing I would get over a 212 Evo is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE or Noctua NH-D14 (or H100, if you really want to go with closed loop water).

I'm thinking room temp, case airflow, or voltage is the problem here. What you're seeing is warm for you small-ish OC (especially considering I could go further than 4.5, if I wanted to).

Okay, so I am in the clear as far as damage goes? So it sounds like the best solution is to just buy a second fan for the 212 evo but either way these temps aren't anything to be concerned about?
Score
a c 140 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 2:59:02 AM

eosterik said:

Which one do you actually have? The 212+ as stated in your original post or the 212EVO?

The EVO is a slightly improved version which provides 2-5C better cooling than the +.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:01:55 AM

eosterik said:
Yea, I'll have to pick one up, in the meantime are these temps safe? I have been told the max temp for a 2500k is 98c but you want to keep them below 75c to prolong life however they will handle under 80c fine under load. Is this correct? Another option is since this CPU is getting old save my money and buy a new CPU in a year or so with a proper cooler, or just get the cooler now and the CPU later, either way.

Well you wont really benefit from buying a new cpu, in benchmarks the 2500k only performs about 7% less than a 3570K and about 20% than a 3770K. I would just buy a better cooler and in 3 years or so buy a 2011 socket.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 3:01:59 AM

eosterik said:
So it sounds like the best solution is to just buy a second fan for the 212 evo but either way these temps aren't anything to be concerned about?

Pretty much, yes, but I have the same question as InvalidError. Is it a 212+ or 212 Evo? If it's a 212+, those temps are right where I would expect them to be.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:04:03 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Pretty much, yes, but I have the same question as InvalidError. Is it a 212+ or 212 Evo? If it's a 212+, those temps are right where I would expect them to be.

Hyper 212 Evo thought it was plus but went and rechecked the box. I also apparently only have 1 case fan in the back of the case.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:04:56 AM

eosterik said:
Quote:

Okay, so I am in the clear as far as damage goes? So it sounds like the best solution is to just buy a second fan for the 212 evo but either way these temps aren't anything to be concerned about?

There is no damage, they can handle the heat. Just buy a second fan and if you want "better thermal paste" and call it a day. I would be more concern about your airflow, for example your case and fans.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 3:06:13 AM

eosterik said:
I also apparently only have 1 case fan in the back of the case.

Yeah, that, along with warm room temps (and possibly higher voltage than you need, although you never said what voltage), makes for warmer than average temps.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:07:02 AM

Lunixed said:
There is no damage, they can handle the heat. Just buy a second fan and if you want "better thermal paste" and call it a day. I would be more concern about your airflow, for example your case and fans.

Yep, that's the solution I think, I actually reseated the CPU with arctic silver 5, as far as I know it's one of the best. Going to have to pick up some new case fans and a 2nd HS fan.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I really appreciate your patience.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:08:35 AM

You know Newegg has the Noctua on sell for 69.99, if you are that worried, just jump the boat to a high end cooler.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:09:41 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, that, along with warm room temps (and possibly higher voltage than you need, although you never said what voltage), makes for warmer than average temps.

I just used the Asus auto OC from the 3 settings, I am assuming the voltage you are asking for is 1.344v.

The bios had 3 settings, Power saver, Balanced and Performance, I have it set to performance.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:10:57 AM

If you room is hot probably the best solution for CPU cooling would be a water kit. I'm running an intel liquid cooling solution on my i5 2500k, its OC to 4.0 running GW2 is 51-52C for me so its something to consider. The intel liquid cooling solution for the 2011/1155/1156/1133 LGA is on newegg for 89.99 i believe.
Score

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 3:12:05 AM

eosterik said:
http://i.imgur.com/gMmmN.png

I just used the Asus auto OC from the 3 settings, I am assuming the voltage you are asking for is 1.344v.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for, and that's definitely too high. 1.344V is bordering on too high for 4.5, much less 4.3.

That's the number one reason Auto OC's are evil and should be sent straight back to the hell that they were conceived in, lol. I hate Auto OC's.

You should absolutely OC manually through the BIOS.
September 14, 2012 3:12:42 AM

eosterik said:
http://i.imgur.com/gMmmN.png

The bios had 3 settings, Power saver, Balanced and Performance, I have it set to performance.

Presets are horrible! They usually overvolt or just keep the settings to auto. Do it the hard way and you will not only gain knowledge but better temps too.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:18:00 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for, and that's definitely too high. 1.344V is bordering on too high for 4.5, much less 4.3.

That's the number one reason Auto OC's are evil and should be sent straight back to the hell that they were conceived in, lol. I hate Auto OC's.

You should absolutely OC manually through the BIOS.

Alright time to learn how to OC manually, Thanks guys!
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 3:20:21 AM

You're welcome. :) 
Score
September 14, 2012 3:28:49 AM

Best answer selected by eosterik.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:30:01 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You're welcome. :) 

I should ask, @ 4.3 what is a general voltage to shoot for.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 3:33:25 AM

eosterik said:
I should ask, @ 4.3 what is a general voltage to shoot for.

Around 1.275V, but you might even be able to go lower than that. I'm at 1.328V at 4.5, just for reference.

Edit: It should be noted that all chips are different, so you'll just have to try it and see what your chip likes.
Score
September 14, 2012 7:45:15 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Around 1.275V, but you might even be able to go lower than that. I'm at 1.328V at 4.5, just for reference.

Edit: It should be noted that all chips are different, so you'll just have to try it and see what your chip likes.

So it turns out since I have a P8z68 board I don't have the option of setting the voltage instead I have a " + or - offset" So my voltage is constantly changing from .8 up to 1.336 but usually hovers around 1.31.

I set the offset to -0.015 because any lower was giving me a blue screen but I am still getting 1.3 area voltages. Guess I just have to buy a new mobo or a better cooler if I want to OC from the sounds of it right?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 7:50:44 AM

eosterik said:
So it turns out since I have a P8z68 board I don't have the option of setting the voltage instead I have a " + or - offset" So my voltage is constantly changing from .8 up to 1.336 but usually hovers around 1.31.

I set the offset to -0.015 because any lower was giving me a blue screen but I am still getting 1.3 area voltages. Guess I just have to buy a new mobo or a better cooler if I want to OC from the sounds of it right?

Ahh, you must have a LX or LE, then. I have a P8Z68-V LE, and it's the same way. All the P8Z68-V's other than those two don't have that problem, though.

That doesn't have anything to do with why your voltage is higher than expected, though. That's a combination of your CPU wanting more and the board's power phases. The voltage would need to be the same even if you could use a manual voltage.

I actually prefer Offsets, though. I like for the voltage to drop at idle.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:17:42 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Ahh, you must have a LX or LE, then. I have a P8Z68-V LE, and it's the same way. All the P8Z68-V's other than those two don't have that problem, though.

That doesn't have anything to do with why your voltage is higher than expected, though. That's a combination of your CPU wanting more and the board's power phases. The voltage would need to be the same even if you could use a manual voltage.

I actually prefer Offsets, though. I like for the voltage to drop at idle.

From the sounds of it there is not much I can do then, I can only get -005 offset without a BSOD but still get some voltage spikes. Most of the guides I have read have mainly said there isn't really an option to stop this without getting a more customizable mobo.

So I guess the next option is simply a better cooler.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 6:57:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!