Sign in with
Your question

CPU upgrade from i3 to i7 or i5

Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2012 10:21:01 PM

Hello !!
I have this gateway dx4831-01e came with an i3 530, my question its as follows.

what i7s or i5s can I upgrade to ? there are so many different ones i dont know. I need to know for sure which ones.

i try contacting gateway on their online chat and they dont know anything. makes me mad and sad at the same time such horrible support.

Thank you so much !!!!

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 116 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 10:36:28 PM

Most OEM motherboards have very limited CPU support, usually only models the builder was selling in that particular lineup. You may be better off upgrading to a standard h77 or b75 motherboard and current-generation CPU.
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:50:04 PM

InvalidError said:
Most OEM motherboards have very limited CPU support, usually only models the builder was selling in that particular lineup. You may be better off upgrading to a standard h77 or b75 motherboard and current-generation CPU.

seems reasonable but my problem its I cant afford to buy both at the same time not atm maybe in a couple of months for now but I dont wanna wait.

if I can find someone that knows which cpus I can upgrade too that would be better I can get the cpu and it should work till I can upgrade my motherboard, then its the dilemma if its backwards compatible with my current cpu but thats the next worry all I need its this info first.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 10:58:25 PM

the i3 530 is of the 1156 pin variety, the money spent on a replacement cpu for your motherboard wouldnt be worth it. save your pennies and build a new system when you are able.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 11:01:36 PM

daswilhelm said:
the i3 530 is of the 1156 pin variety, the money spent on a replacement cpu for your motherboard wouldnt be worth it. save your pennies and build a new system when you are able.

This.^^
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 11:02:05 PM

You should be able toupgrade to any s1156 cpu, but they are expensive compared to newer cpu's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You would need to contact Gateway tech support to find out for sure which your motherboard supports. A different cpu may require a bios update.

Tech support your talking to is probably level 1 and they don't know crap or they just want you to buy a new computer. Which is why you shouldn't buy pre-built crap like Gateway in the first place.

If you had a non-oem motherboard that you can buy at Newegg and such, you can simply go to the manufacturers website and view the cpu support list.
m
l
September 13, 2012 11:05:21 PM

daswilhelm said:

care to tell me which motherboard and which cpu I should be looking at ? I have no idea I need something affordable
m
l
September 13, 2012 11:08:36 PM

geekapproved said:
You should be able toupgrade to any s1156 cpu, but they are expensive compared to newer cpu's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You would need to contact Gateway tech support to find out for sure which your motherboard supports. A different cpu may require a bios update.

Tech support your talking to is probably level 1 and they don't know crap or they just want you to buy a new computer. Which is why you shouldn't buy pre-built crap like Gateway in the first place.

If you had a non-oem motherboard that you can buy at Newegg and such, you can simply go to the manufacturers website and view the cpu support list.

I agree I see the light now . but well I got a hd 7970 as a gift and I wanna make the most out of it. but I got to work with what I got atm. I guess i can just buy one of those and try if it works if it doesnt just return it and try again?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 11:17:17 PM

geekapproved said:

I recommended that to someone before with their Gateway system, but Gateway wouldn't tell them anything because they don't officially support CPU upgrades... And Gateway doesn't even list compatible CPU's anywhere.
m
l
!