IBM Deskstar75 OR DeskStar60?

G

I saw somewhere mention that the IBM DeskStar75GXP is older than DeskStar60, is this true?

What are the differences between the two?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I know, I've been reading the same thing, and looking at articles about it because I bought a 75GXP. You would think that since it's a higher number, that it'd also be the better one, huh? Anyways, here are the two IBM spec sheets:

<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/ds75gxp.htm" target="_new">IBM Deskstar 75GXP</A>
<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/ds60gxp.htm" target="_new">IBM Deskstar 60GXP</A>

I think that the 75GXP is better because it is described as an Ultra ATA100, while the 60GXP is described as an ATA hard drive. (Is that the same thing? I dunno...)

Oh shoot...here's what you need to look at. I'm so ticked...
<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/table.htm#Deskstar" target="_new">IBM Hard Disk Drive Table</A>
You see the asterisk? That denotes the newest hard drive.

There's your answer. :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I looked at the same table to find the answer.
But, Tom (and others) are still hailing the 75GXP as the 'fastest IDE drive ever'. Maybe the 60GXP is meant to be more of a budget hard drive, or something?

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

on the data table, both 60gxp and 75 gxp are UltraATA. I will go for 60gxp.... I feel weird about the way ibm a name their newer model too.

G

hi guys, why do I have the word "newbie" under my user name? Some people registered to this forum later than me.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Because it goes by the number of posts you currently have... :smile:

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with my 30GB 75GXP. Although I was coming from a pretty crusty computer to a powerhouse (in my opinion), I feel that it is pretty quiet. I turned off all my fans for a little bit and transferred some files. It's pretty quiet. I can't tell you to get it, because I haven't compared it to the 60GXP. So, it's basically your choice.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is anti-intutive, but the 60GXP is actually the newer, updated version of the 75GXP. The difference between them is very small, but the 60GXP is slightly better.

The 60GXP has a 'Max. areal density' of 15.3 (Gbits/sq. inch) verses 11.0 (Gbits/sq. inch) for the 75GXP. the 'Sustained data rate' is also higher on the 60GXP. It is 40.8 (MB/sec) for the 60GXP verses 37.0 (MB/sec) for the 75GXP.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 75GXP has a reliability problem and is no longer being produced to my knowledge. The 60 is being used as a replacement for defective 75's, so that should tell you which one to get.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Stay away from 75GXP. It has major reliability issues. In fact, I believe a class action law suit is being prepared against IBM regarding this drive, & the 60GXP reliability problems are only now beginning to surface. I wouldn't buy either.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have had an IBM 60GPX 60 gig (IC35L060AVER07) for 4 months now. It is fairly quiet and fast. At this time I would recommend it.

<font color=blue>Will Rogers never liked me.</font color=blue>