Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU gets power on only when i hit or kicks it

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2012 1:51:40 PM

I had a 2 year old PC build mainly for gaming. Initially i used iball stock SMPS having 250W Max output for the following config,

Quard core Q8600 2.6GHz
Asus P5QL-CM
4GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM (2x2No)
Seagate 500GB SATA
Asus 4650 DDR2 512MB
I-Ball Cabinet Sparsh with Stock PSU 400w (250W max)
Numeric UPS Digital 600ex

At that time all worked perfectly. Then later i changed my Graphics card from 4650 to 4670 to match with same stock power supply. Then i starts facing insufficient power for LG DVD RW and HDD. So at that time i unplugged all casis fan and DVD drive to manage. Later this problem keeps on raised, so i bought Zebronics 500W Platinum PSU. Now i got even bigger problem is that at the first time when i installed 500W PSU, when i press power switch it takes 5 seconds to start powering ON. Then with in a weak the PSU didn't get power on even after i leaving it to 5 to 10Minutes. So initally i thought its a PSU problem, so i went to Zebronics service center they gave me a replacement of new PSU. Now again i am faceing the same problem in this PSU also. So i found a solution when i kick or hit it anywhere in the PSU, it works fine for some times like 1hour. Suddenly while iam playing games, without any error message it gets restarted. When i saw in event viewer it shows kernal power failure or unexpected shutdown. So totally i am confused on this situation and i don't know what to do to solve this problem.

Now i am having this config and facing these problems:

Quard core Q8600 2.6GHz
Asus P5QL-CM
4GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM (2x2No)
Seagate 500GB SATA
LG 22x DVD RW
XFX ATI 4670 1Gb DDR3
I-Ball Cabinet Sparsh (2 x 8cm cooling fan)
Zebronics 500W platinum PSU
Numeric UPS Digital 600ex

Creative 5.1 T6100
Samsung 20" LCD

Things that i done for trouble shooting:

checked with other new stock PSU
Removed VGA card
reset BIOS
Upgraded BIOS

According to me i got doubt like:

1: MY Cabinet that is so small for my motherboard as it is so conjested for my wiring. As it supports Micro-ATX motherboards only. And i am sure that there is no heat generated from my processor, beyond 38 degree C.
2: My UPS supports 360W Max output. For this reason i tested in 5KV UPS in My office. Still the problem continuing.
3: Is that any problem in my mother board or in my Graphics card.

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP as all my warranty got expires on 3rd August 2012

If you got better solution Please Mail me the best solution to My ID: dhamodharen(at)gmail(DOT)com

More about : psu power hit kicks

Best solution

May 23, 2012 2:28:19 PM

While the PSU says its "Platinum" - from what I can see on their website, this isn't an 80PLUS rating, its just a name for their range of PSU's.

There's a couple of reasons why your PC could be randomly be rebooting, firstly the PSU isn't powerful enough (most likely this with be due to its lack of efficiency - buying a PSU with an 80PLUS rating is ALWAYS recommended), secondly, it could be over-heating.

A lose cable could also be an issue somewhere.

First thing I would do is clean up your case, cable tidy all cables, make sure there's good air flow, check cables are all connected properly and none are damaged. Download something like HWMonitor to check your CPU temps and then see where your at.
May 24, 2012 5:17:38 AM

@adrianperry

you are right, May be my PSU may not be a good PSU, But even though when i removed my graphics card from the motherboard and checked with stock PSU but still having the same problem. Now i am troubleshooting My motherboard out of my cabinet and i am going to check each and every components with other PC today.

And also i already said my processor doesn't exceeds 38 degree Celc. I also cleaned My board, GPU, RAM with IPA solution, and cleaned the golden color pin with eraser, so 100% their is no dust. I also removed old thermal paste and applied new.
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2012 1:11:50 PM

Have you run PRIME95 and MEMTEST yet?

Prime95 is possibly the best as it will check both your RAM and your CPU.

HDD failure could also be an issue. Open command prompt and run 'CHKDSK' command. This will take a little while to finish but should determine if your HDD has any errors.
m
l
May 24, 2012 1:40:51 PM

@AdrianPerry Yo.... man finally i found the culprit, my PSU is the BLACK sheep. i tested this PSU in my office PC same will happend. Then i used other PSU in my PC, all worked fine. And also i used heavy load for CPU and RAM test, their is no error and also two days before i made full format and installed Win8, So no problem even in my HDD.

Today evening i went to ZEBRONICS service center for warranty claim and spoke about this matter. Technician said strange problem and he said after he solved my PSU problem, he ask me to come to their service center to check the PSU in their HIGH END PC for perfect diagnosis. So for now i want to wait until my PSU get's solved. :pfff: 

Better when i got all my rigs in my hand i want to conform that My pc is working perfectly only when i assemble in my cabinet. :fou:  :sweat: 
m
l
June 4, 2012 8:39:23 AM

Best answer selected by dhamodharen.
m
l
!