GTX 680 For My System?

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi,

I have been looking at the GTX 680 and saw how well it was doing for the price compared to the radeon 7000 series. I am going to wait for overclocked cards with dual fans, but first I have a few questions.

1. Will my FX 8120 OC to 3.9GHz bottleneck the GTX 680?
2. Is a Corsair TX 750 V2 enough power for the GTX 680(Overclocked with fan speeds up), FX 8120 OC 3.9GHz, 1 HDD, 2 SSD, 6 Somewhat high performing fans, and 3 Sticks DDR3 Ram 1600MHz?
-Right now, there is 11.943v on the +12V according to my motherboard witha XFX CDFC 6950 2GB.

Thanks and feel free to give me any suggestions.

1. It might be bottlenecked a bit, but you will be fine!
2. Because of the really low power consumption of GTX680, with such a good product from corsair, you might be able to SLI two GTX680 at stock clocks :D!. But for only one GTX680 + FX8120 its more than enough even with maxo/c.

ps: Why 3 DDR3 sticks? :S

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Thanks for such quick replies. I was also looking around for previews or leaked information of overclocked GTX 680's with 4GB vram. They say it will have an 8 pin and 6 pin connector. Will it still handle because those are the cards I would like, not too much about the stock? And the DDR3 was just included because I see it on PSU calculators.

I was asking why 3 DDR3 sticks cause I think that how is possible to have dual channel with 3 sticks? :p Dont you have less memory bandwith?
The rumor is about EVGA GTX680 FTW 4GB... Even with that you shouldnt have problem.
Check here if you like to be sure http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
But dont worry. Your psu is a power monster. It can handle any single gpu for sure.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 680 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 (CMPSU-750TXV2), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 680. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 680 in 2-way SLI mode.

There is even spare capacity available on the +12V rail to handle some overclocking of the CPU and GPU(s).

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
This is perfect. Maybe eventually 2 GTX 680's in SLI with the next set of FX processors. Plus, my hard drive is like 8 years old and uses too much power for me. I'm just wondering, if I am using 11.943v on the +12 rail, can anyone give me a rough estimate of the power usage on that rail. Also, what components other than a graphics card are on the +12 rail.

CPU obtains all of its power from the +12V rail.

Hard disk drive motors and cooling fans also use the +12V rail.

A reference clocked Radeon HD 6950 will draw up to 15.2 Amps when running FurMark and about 11 Amps when gaming from the +12V rail..