Buying final parts ~$1400 gamer build, open budget for remainder

extramako

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
So... it took me a little bit longer to buy parts than I expected, and now I have a bigger budget for the last few parts than planned. With this in mind I'm wondering if I should buy better parts for the remainder. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts. I will be overclocking. (My previous post seeking build advice here.)

This is what I already have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX 670 2GB
SSD: Vertex II 120gb
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80PLUS Silver

I plan on buying the following previously recommended parts tomorrow morning for overnight delivery with a goal of building this Friday. Although these are NewEgg links I'll probably buy off Amazon for my prime $3.99 overnight fee.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (according to Noctua's site these will fit under cooler... I hope)
Storage(+ DVD combo deal): Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Also, the SSD was a gift but after reading all those recent newegg reviews I'm getting worried it will fail suddenly... not sure if I should just replace it now and use it as a pure game/Steam drive or something.

Back to the point of my post - I'm wondering if I should buy a better case than the 400R due to my increased budget... maybe a Corsair Obsidian 800D for the seemingly better cooling with separate compartments? I don't really have a budget cap at this point as I'm in to my next paycheck already, although I don't exactly need a case that can handle liquid nitrogen either :p

Thanks

This is just me

I would save the money on the CPU cooler and get a CM 212

i5-3570K for gamming really ? and then you need to OC that ? ( for what game in hell do you need a OCed i5-3570K to play ? )

^^^ If your going to keep this system for 5+ years ok maybe i can see it.

Yes i would get the better case ( I just like the 800D ) :)

PSU 750W for a single card ? or you going to SLI down the road ?

BTW if your keeping that CPU COOLER you might look into low profile RAM

With the selection of a case , other than the fact you want to have enough cooling it's mostly a personal preference as to what you like and the convienence of the internal setup. There are a lot of cases to choose from and you can go crazy looking at then all and trying to find what's best.It is certianly nice to have no budget or a very large one but the 800D case is rather expensive and if you want a large case with tremendous cooling power the CoolerMaster Haf X is a good candidate , 1-230mm fan , 2-200mm fan (and space for one more 200mm fan ) and a rear 140mm fan , it also has two intenral fan options for the video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119239
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

I understand that the SSD was a gift and since it's a Vertex 2 it's a little behind performance wise and I would just use it for storage and go with a better one. A 240/256 gb SSD to me is the sweet spot for the OS because it gives you all the room you need for the OS and a couple of games without having to worry about space. I have a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD and am very happy with it and would highly recomend it. You can also consider the Intel Cherryville 520 240 gb or the Crucial M4 256 GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

extramako

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks for the feedback here

I would save the money on the CPU cooler and get a CM 212

Was going for the Noctua due to higher IB OC temps but yeah the CM 212 seems to be highly recommended. Either way I already have the Noctua in hand.

i5-3570K for gamming really ? and then you need to OC that ? ( for what game in hell do you need a OCed i5-3570K to play ? )

^^^ If your going to keep this system for 5+ years ok maybe i can see it.

Pretty much, looking to not touch this thing again for as long as possible, aside from upgrading to a nice 30" panel for higher res than 1080p, and possible 670 SLI if I can't drive those high res with full eye candy.

but the 800D case is rather expensive and if you want a large case with tremendous cooling power the CoolerMaster Haf X is a good candidate

Appreciate the links, this looks like a great case for a bit cheaper than the 800D

I understand that the SSD was a gift and since it's a Vertex 2 it's a little behind performance wise and I would just use it for storage and go with a better one

This sounds like a solid game plan to me

I love the feedback from this community :D