Sign in with
Your question

Advice on new build (please reply asap I need to order tomorrow

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2012 4:29:09 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully today or tomorrow

Budget Range: $500-$550 (maybe a little higher depending on what it's for)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: General Use, Multitasking, Will be hooked up to HDTV majority of the time, watching movies, Photo/video editing eventually

Parts Not Required: OS, HDD, Optical Drive, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, GPU?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter, Ncix (honestly does not matter whichever has what I want for the better price)

Parts Preferences: (still not 100% sure about everything)

-i5 3570k
-Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard
-Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz (2x4GB)

-for the case im looking at the Antec Three Hundred Two and the Corsair Carbide 300r but I'm still looking for more good options

- Power Supply is where I'm having trouble also. Many sites say for a build like mine 500w is plenty and many sites also say i should get 600-700w.

The most components I will ever have are.
2-3 HDD's
2 Optical Drives
1 After Market CPU cooler
1 MID range graphics card (nothing crazy)

Overclocking: Yes a little bit in the future (do not need CPU cooler right now)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments:

So I'm building a new pc for the first time in a really long time so I've been researching everything and seeing whats out there. I do not play games at all.
I am looking for everyones opinions on this build and please give me any ideas or thoughts you might have about anything. I do not plan to build a PC again any time soon so i want this one to last. If you think there is something that makes more sense for me to get or is better for around the same price feel free to tell me. Please if you read this take a minute to comment about anything I am looking for as much advice as possible. Thank You

May 23, 2012 4:47:53 PM

Quote:
are you using newegg to make these purchases? (shoulda followed the computer build aid guidelines)

sorry i just saw it now I am going to edit my OP..thanks

and for the CPU and mother board I am going with microcenter..any other parts that I decide I want I will also get them from there..but from what I am seeing newegg/amazon have better prices and a way bigger selection on power supplys so I will probably order some things from there as well
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
May 23, 2012 5:04:57 PM

if you are going to video edit i would suggest 16 gigs of RAM unless it is not something you're going to do a lot of and don't mind it struggling once in awhile. i'll put a vote towards the corsair carbide 300r; i am not much of a case fan but i do like those.

now as far as the PSU; a QUALITY 500 watts would run your system. though if you are adding quite a few HDs and most likely a case fan; a 550 watt would also give you the room to get practically ANY SINGLE graphics card without being an overkill.
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power $64.99
$3.99 Shipping
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W $59.99
$9.65 Shipping
XFX Core Edition PRO550W $74.99
$5.99 Shipping

you could stick with a 500 watts if your going "lower" mid range for GPU but you're really not saving but a few dollars. which leads to:

what do you consider "mid range" with out playing games?
some would consider a gt 440, others an HD 7750 and still others an HD 6850. if you are looking at using CUDA for video editing then there is a GTX560 that will blow your socks off.

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 $179.99
$139.99 after mail-in rebate card

is that too much?

hope some of this helps.
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:07:46 PM

Anonymous said:
if you are going to video edit i would suggest 16 gigs of RAM unless it is not something you're going to do a lot of and don't mind it struggling once in awhile. i'll put a vote towards the corsair carbide 300r; i am not much of a case fan but i do like those.

now as far as the PSU; a QUALITY 500 watts would run your system. though if you are adding quite a few HDs and most likely a case fan; a 550 watt would also give you the room to get practically ANY SINGLE graphics card without being an overkill.
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power $64.99
$3.99 Shipping
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W $59.99
$9.65 Shipping
XFX Core Edition PRO550W $74.99
$5.99 Shipping

you could stick with a 500 watts if your going "lower" mid range for GPU but you're really not saving but a few dollars. which leads to:

what do you consider "mid range" with out playing games?
some would consider a gt 440, others an HD 7750 and still others an HD 6850. if you are looking at using CUDA for video editing then there is a GTX560 that will blow your socks off.

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 $179.99
$139.99 after mail-in rebate card

is that too much?

hope some of this helps.

^^^^
I like your thinking :) 
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:09:20 PM

If you are not going to use this computer for gaming at all then there will be no need to overclock the cpu at all either , the cpu at stock will be more then enough for your needs.
I also did not see a video card listed , do you plan on using the onboard graphics chip for your video needs? For photo and video editing I would recomend a seperate video card and it wouldn't have to be high end but it would help in what your intended use will be.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $90 after rebate and free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $90
SeaSonic is one of the top rated psu makers there are. Top quality!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99 after rebate.

The power supply is one of those components most people take for granted and yet it is what supplies the power to run all the components in the computer and should not be skimped on , the psu that I have recomended is of top quality and reliability. If you want to go with a less expensive brand then you certianly have that option. You have not mentioned a budget so there was nothing for me to know what you want to spend.
The Corsair Vengence ram , I would go with the low profile set so as to not be in the way of the cpu cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As far as a case goes the choice is more to be what you like to look at after making sure that there is adaquite cooling. Some people will buy a case with one fan and you want to have a minimum of two , one in and one out and more would be better.
I have water cooling but I still have two fans blowing in and two blowing out , they are at a lower speed but still you do want good ventilation.
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:13:39 PM

sorry i forgot to say that i do plan on upgrading to 16GB of RAM eventually..for now 8GB is good.

and i havn't followed GPU's in so long that i really dont know what i would eventually get. if the CPU's integrated graphics are good enough to use my tv as my monitor then i do not want to purchase a GPU at this time and when i do it will prob be in the 100-150 dollar price range

i was also going crazy decided on the mother board wondering if i needed one that good.. i was also looking into the gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H and a similar MSI one.
I can get $50 off any Z77 motherboard through microcenter so its hard to decide because i do not really know what featues i will need. all i know is that i want this PC to last
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:20:35 PM

and about the RAM. I saw the Vengeance low profile and was thinking the same thing about the CPU cooler..is there any difference at all between these two..is one slightly better than the other? and i was also considering gskill ripjaws x series but not sure i read that they are about equal
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:32:51 PM

its been mentioned before

when shopping for a PSU 3 very important things to consider

1. Quality
2. Quality
3. Quality

m
l
Anonymous
May 23, 2012 5:34:15 PM

the intel HD 4000 is much better than the last generation 3000, getting close to a ati hd6450; a htpc graphics card. you can support up to 3 monitor displays as the 3000 supports 2. you will be fine with it and just may wonder why you would need a graphics card at all sometimes.

when it comes to a motherboard, asrock, asus, gigabyte and msi have some good quality boards. it is mostly looking at what features you need/like, such as wifi, usb3 headers, Msata connections . . i am a big fan of where the cmos reset is at :) .

maybe if your a little confused, i will suggest looking at what has more "power phases", like 4+2 is not as good as 8+2, and maybe just keeping it simple.
m
l
May 23, 2012 5:43:08 PM

aholeinthewor1d said:
and about the RAM. I saw the Vengeance low profile and was thinking the same thing about the CPU cooler..is there any difference at all between these two..is one slightly better than the other? and i was also considering gskill ripjaws x series but not sure i read that they are about equal

If your not OCing DDR3 1333 is fine if your going to OC get 1600 1600 will run @ 1333 but when your OC your CPU your setting the FSB higher in return pushes the ram speed up < maybe the hard core OCers can explan a bit better.

As far as the Profile of the ram, the higher heat sinks on the ram help it stay a little cooler

If this rig is not for gamming or used for work ( whare time is money ) i dont see a reason to go crazy with parts.

m
l
May 23, 2012 5:43:19 PM

The only difference is the heat spreader where the ones with the tall looking fins will dissapate the heat a little better but the performance will be the same. A good idae if you are unsure about a part is to try to read the feedback on it and consider all feedback to add up to what an average would be because there will be some who can't be happy with anything. Also in reading the feedback somebody will mention some fuvnction of the item that you weren't aware of and it ends up a learning experience.
As far as motherboard choices go there are a lot of them out there and there are a lot of them with similar features so in some instances you can't go wrong and if your trying to future proof then I would try to stay with a z77 motherboard. I have had several brands of MBs and I have found that while the MSI boards are good they are rather thin and flimsy and the Gigabyte are thick and solid and heavy. The Asus is in between but what seperates them from the others is the features that Asus puts into their MBs , very user friendly.
m
l
May 23, 2012 6:00:27 PM

i forgot to mention one of the PSU's i was looking at was the corsair tx650v2..lots of good reviews but there is soooo many cables i will never use...when im looking for a power supply the things i am looking for are a good brand name..length of cables becaue i want to keep it neat inside and it would be nice to have modular if i can for $70 or less..

and as far as RAM i might switch to the gskill f3-12800cl8d-8gbxm...the only problem is none of the asus or any other z77 boards are listed as tested on the gskill website and same thing with the asus mobo website...ive found newer gkill and corsair with slighty lower timings that arent listed
m
l
May 23, 2012 7:29:58 PM

Quote:
i forgot to mention one of the PSU's i was looking at was the corsair tx650v2..lots of good reviews but there is soooo many cables i will never use...when im looking for a power supply the things i am looking for are a good brand name..length of cables becaue i want to keep it neat inside and it would be nice to have modular if i can for $70 or less..

and as far as RAM i might switch to the gskill f3-12800cl8d-8gbxm...the only problem is none of the asus or any other z77 boards are listed as tested on the gskill website and same thing with the asus mobo website...ive found newer gkill and corsair with slighty lower timings that arent listed

i am also considering the corsair tx550m psu...will this be plenty of power for a single GPU cpu cooler and slight overclock?
m
l
May 23, 2012 7:55:49 PM

aholeinthewor1d said:
Quote:

i am also considering the corsair tx550m psu...will this be plenty of power for a single GPU cpu cooler and slight overclock?

Yes that PSU would work well
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:11:31 PM

not that its gonna be the end of the worl but i was trying to stick with a black psu...stuck between the

Corsair TX650 v2 -$70
Corsair TX550m - $75 according to newegg ($109-$10 off instantly brings it to $99 then a $10 off corsair promo code makes it $89... Then there is a $15 mail in rebate

id be paying more for modular which i dont mind...just dont want to get a 550W if its not enough to power a decent mid range GPU and after market cpu cooler...which i have no clue if it will be enough without pushing it so let me know
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:16:26 PM

and the OCZ's keep popping up and ive considered it but all the feedback i read says they have short cables..i havent built anything in a long time and im not sure how it would work out..considering i dont even know which case im getting so i figured it would be better to have longer cables
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:32:55 PM

yea ive been reading reviews non stop...but every single site and user feedback says ocz's have short cables...im now seeing the corsair tx650m for $85 after rebate on tiger direct..kinda dont know how i feel ordering stuff from there
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:40:11 PM

the 8 pin or 4 pin CPU power cable is the only one in question the rest fit nice
m
l
May 23, 2012 8:48:49 PM

Go for the UD5H.
m
l
May 23, 2012 9:08:25 PM

Quote:
Go for the UD5H

i was considering it..what features does it have compared to the p8z77-v pro or what makes it better?
m
l
May 23, 2012 9:41:35 PM

Dual-Gigabit LAN, more SATA 3.0, more USB 3.0.
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:39:08 AM

With the power supply cables most of them do make them long enough and if there is a problem it's usually with the cpu power cable and you can always get an extension for that and run it behind the motherboard.
m
l
!