Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power Supply for a Basic System

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Basic
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
September 14, 2012 3:24:38 AM

I'm thinking about building a basic web browsing machine for a family member (something like an AMD A4-3300 and its' integrated graphics, for instance), and was wondering what would be the best cheap (but not prone to blowing up the machine and burning down the house) power supply. For instance, I can get a 380W Raidmax for $15, and this kind of a system will probably never break 150W under load anyway, but I doubt it's very efficient, and I'm not sure I can trust it. The Antec Basiq 350W is at least trustworthy, but they don't seem to be be very efficient, and they're a bit loud. (I have one that I've used before.) What would be your best suggestion?

More about : power supply basic system

a c 166 ) Power supply
September 14, 2012 4:21:10 AM

Yes, I would stay away from Raidmax. Here is a list of 350W ATX 12V PSUs in order of best rating from Newegg. I'm assuming no discrete graphic card will be installed. Or at least nothing that requires an external PCIe power connector.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
I've had good luck with Rosewill and Antec in my budget builds.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2012 5:12:28 AM

The lowest good quality budget psu's i recommend.

Antec EA380D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair CX430V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec VP450 (absolute lowest)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Neo Eco 400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Neo Eco 520c just because it's $10 off from $55 making it $45 and about the same as other quality budget psus.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 12:37:53 AM

What I'm really wondering about is if there's anything cheaper than that ($30 max), but still safe to use. After all, what kinds of enthusiast units are there that are comparable to the ones OEMs use? (with at least decent efficiency - 80% or so) I highly doubt this system will ever have a discrete graphics card installed (it's replacing a Pentium 4, so that tells you how much the system is upgraded), and units like the CX430 seem a bit overkill. I'm happy with the Seasonic S12II 520W in my machine, but they don't have any particularly cheap units that would work for this.

Also, I thought Rosewill wasn't all that great.
m
0
l
a c 166 ) Power supply
September 15, 2012 2:26:01 AM

livebriand said:
What I'm really wondering about is if there's anything cheaper than that ($30 max), but still safe to use. After all, what kinds of enthusiast units are there that are comparable to the ones OEMs use? (with at least decent efficiency - 80% or so) I highly doubt this system will ever have a discrete graphics card installed (it's replacing a Pentium 4, so that tells you how much the system is upgraded), and units like the CX430 seem a bit overkill. I'm happy with the Seasonic S12II 520W in my machine, but they don't have any particularly cheap units that would work for this.

Also, I thought Rosewill wasn't all that great.

Rosewills are at least as good, and in my estimation better, than the budget OEMs. But if you aren't up for a Rosewill and want to keep the price around $30, you might as well go with the Raidmax you originally were looking at. Otherwise, here are a number of 300W-350W PSU's in that price range listed in order of their ratings as per the owners...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 11:36:26 PM

The cheapest Rosewill on newegg is $30, and at that point I may as well get an Antec Basiq. Are Raidmaxes safe to use though? The problem is that the power supply might seem to work fine, even if it's silently killing the hardware, and most people won't know it. That's what I'm worried about. Then, there's also a cheap Diablotek... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 166 ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 1:50:19 AM

livebriand said:
The cheapest Rosewill on newegg is $30, and at that point I may as well get an Antec Basiq. Are Raidmaxes safe to use though? The problem is that the power supply might seem to work fine, even if it's silently killing the hardware, and most people won't know it. That's what I'm worried about. Then, there's also a cheap Diablotek... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I build budget and mid-range gaming PCs for others. I have used mainly Rosewills for quite sometime. They have all been dependable PSUs. Rosewill is the in-house brand for Newegg and usually command one of the best price/value ratios because of that. Here is the go-to guy for PSU recommendations; Jonny Guru. He has evaluated several Rosewills and gave them all "Recommended" ratings: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=Search
Granted, the ones he tested are a bit more than you are looking for. But it may ease your mind a bit.

I have also built with Antecs. They too have never failed me.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 3:34:48 AM

The most recent rosewill ones are based on far superior units to the old ones that were generally just crap.

It's basically a CM Silent Pro PSU vs a CM extreme power. One is actually a decent psu line while the other is utter crap. Rosewill's new gold psu's are absolutely fantastic but their old ones in the $30-40 range are not.
m
0
l
a c 166 ) Power supply
September 23, 2012 3:46:17 AM

lilotimz said:
The most recent rosewill ones are based on far superior units to the old ones that were generally just crap.

It's basically a CM Silent Pro PSU vs a CM extreme power. One is actually a decent psu line while the other is utter crap. Rosewill's new gold psu's are absolutely fantastic but their old ones in the $30-40 range are not.

You may be right about the low-end Rosewills. I hadn't thought about that. I've always built with the mid-range units. I guess I assumed they were all of the same manufacture. The lowest end model I've used has been the RG530: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... the best of my knowledge, none of them has failed.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 7:19:36 PM

What I've always figured is that, if I'm spending $55 (like the RG530), I may as well get a Corsair or Seasonic.

Thanks for mentioning the deal on the CX430, dankev! I might look into that (the efficiency looks good enough - 80-84%, though it seems a bit overkill for a basic machine). I'm also thinking about waiting until Black Friday for deals.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 11:37:43 PM

The only thing is that I thought the Neo lacks active PFC. Other than that, I suppose it's an option.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2012 5:14:42 AM

All neo eco's have active pfc iirc.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 1:12:37 AM

Dang it - I was mixing it up with the VP450.
m
0
l
!