Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there still life for this CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2012 4:14:43 AM

About two years ago my Dell XPS M1530 gave out and the motherboard failed due to a design problem. So I stored it away after turning the HDD into an external storage drive. I just recently dug it out and did some research on it that I never knew before. It contains an Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 processor.

So I thought, what if I were to use this instead of letting it sit and go obsolete before I can get a chance to use it while it is still relevant today. The problem I encountered was that the CPU uses Socket P. This socket, from my knowledge, is only used on "mobile" motherboards. Do I have no chance in running this CPU outside a laptop and in an actual desktop?

More about : life cpu

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:24:47 AM

I wouldn't buy another board for it. Socket P is mostly mobile; I may have seen one desktop board for it. Try selling it on craigslist, but don't ask too much.
a c 163 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:25:40 AM

only thing i can think of is get a replacement motherboard and put back in the laptop and use usb keyboard, mouse, and a monitor to use as a desktop. not sure if u could but if somehow mount the laptop motherboard in a desktop case, but to my knowledge theres no socket p desktop motherboards.
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:28:10 AM

No they aren't compatible, there is no Socket P becauseThey are two different sockets. A Core 2 Duo desktop uses socket 775 and that uses socket P.
a c 176 à CPUs
a c 431 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:34:36 AM

if the laptop in one part look online at mb buyers. there are few laptop vendors that will buy used mb. they repair them and use them for rma and spare parts. the lcd screen on a laptop is now worth a lot of money on ebay.
September 14, 2012 4:45:43 AM

I won't get another board for the laptop, since I would just be wasting money on a faulty motherboard. I might just sell parts of it since there is no real use for the laptop just sitting here.
September 14, 2012 4:53:58 AM

If you want a HTPC or something light, you can get a cheap micro ATX and convert it into a media centre etc.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 5:36:50 AM

There were some htpc like motherboard made for socket P but it would hard to find and buy one. I have a laptop chip like that and I have looked into setting it up as a file server or something but can't find something that would be worth the money.
September 24, 2012 3:22:34 PM

Best answer selected by northwestern.
a c 104 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2012 7:02:05 PM

rds1220 said:
No they aren't compatible, there is no Socket P becauseThey are two different sockets. A Core 2 Duo desktop uses socket 775 and that uses socket P.

Mobile Core based CPUs used socket P (FCPGA478), there was Socket M for older laptop CPUs.
!