Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade or Rebuild?

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2012 5:39:14 PM

Alright so if you see my other thread I was going to upgrade my HDD to a WD Caviar Black because I thought my current drive was failing and it just seems that a lot of people are having trouble with their HDD/GPU on Diablo III. So I had about $100 set aside for the upgrade but now I don't feel it is necessary. So here are my dilemmas:

My Current System:
Windows 7 x64
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2h Motherboard
AMD Athlon II x4 2.90 Ghz
12 GB of DDR3 Ram (Not all the same timing/lower quality)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0GB/s
EVGA Nvida GeForce GTX460
Cheap generic came with my case PSU

So I was going to upgrade the HDD, which probably is needed but with the Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache will I notice much of a difference? Should I just invest in a SSD for $100 and see more performance even without SATA 6.0GB/s? Or should I just save the money and go for a full system upgrade and pretty much scrap everything but the GPU?

Sorry for the long post just looking for some recommendations.

I am going to use the rig for gaming mainly. Other college related tasks and some programming but nothing like video/photo editing.

More about : upgrade rebuild

a b B Homebuilt system
May 23, 2012 5:52:20 PM

i would rebuild because you have old mobo/ cpu and different ram sets in the system is not good either

you can save money by re using your case, hard drive, video card...or keep that pc as a backup/server/folding@home sort of thing and start over with a proper case and components
May 23, 2012 5:54:48 PM

An SSD is diffidently a worthwhile overall great system upgrade. If you have the money set aside and another drive for storage then I would recommend an SSD. Keep in mind an SSD isn't going to improve FPS in games, but will decrease loading times in games.
Related resources
May 23, 2012 5:58:29 PM

alvine said:
i would rebuild because you have old mobo/ cpu and different ram sets in the system is not good either

you can save money by re using your case, hard drive, video card...or keep that pc as a backup/server/folding@home sort of thing and start over with a proper case and components

Ya I was thinking of just rebuilding and using the other components I don't reuse as another PC for maybe my brother.

skaz said:
An SSD is diffidently a worthwhile overall great system upgrade. If you have the money set aside and another drive for storage then I would recommend an SSD. Keep in mind an SSD isn't going to improve FPS in games, but
will decrease loading times in games.

I am much more interested in a faster boot time and loading on games/windows in general. With an SSD is installing a game and windows/moving windows temp files good for the SSD?

Probably going to go for an SSD, then when I get more cash upgrade MOBO/CPU, then slowly the rest... I keep all my old hardware anyway.
May 23, 2012 6:12:53 PM

Save the money to upgrade more components because SSD may become cheaper when you upgrade other components IMHO.
May 24, 2012 3:16:34 AM

An SSD being cheaper in a month or so isn't likely I dont think. Anyways I am a college student working part time at minimum wage so I have the money now and I might not later so I will probably end up just buying parts when I get spare change.

Best solution

May 24, 2012 3:54:12 AM

bubba925 said:
Ya I was thinking of just rebuilding and using the other components I don't reuse as another PC for maybe my brother.

I am much more interested in a faster boot time and loading on games/windows in general. With an SSD is installing a game and windows/moving windows temp files good for the SSD?

Probably going to go for an SSD, then when I get more cash upgrade MOBO/CPU, then slowly the rest... I keep all my old hardware anyway.

An SSD will definitely give you faster boot times and loading times.

To answer your question about installing games and such on your SSD - Is it good? No its not "good", but your very unlikely to see the effects of to many write cycles on the drive any time in the near future. By that point you'll probably have upgrade the drive to something else =). If you get one go ahead and use it comfortably without worrying to much about writing to much on it. That's like having a fast car and not driving on the streets cause you don't want to wear it out.

stevetheutilityman said:
Save the money to upgrade more components because SSD may become cheaper when you upgrade other components IMHO.

Prices will fluctuate of course, but how much and how fast they do is a guessing game.

May 24, 2012 4:05:45 PM

Thanks for the info man. Just wondering if you could point me in the direction of a good tutorial on things you need to do when installing an SSD like moving temp file locations, ect.
May 25, 2012 2:48:08 AM

It's pretty easy. The main thing is to enable AHCI in your BIOS and then go ahead with the install.

The only small tweaks I made was to make sure defrag is turned off, turned off hibernate, and turned off system restore.

But if your looking for more tweaks check this out --> http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...
May 25, 2012 3:25:00 AM

Best answer selected by bubba925.
May 25, 2012 3:25:11 AM

Thank you sir.
!