Sign in with
Your question

Playing Games Getting 1-3 FPS 1-5 Minutes Ingame

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2012 9:54:35 PM

Hello, once i play l4d2, garry's mod, minecraft or any other game i have on my computer i get 1-3 frames per second and it really pisses me off, i tried to shut down my comp and boot it up again but it keeps having the same frame rate 1-5 minutes ingame, my specs are -
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Forgive me if i put this in the wrong section im still fairly new to this.
March 22, 2012 10:02:33 PM

Seems like the right section to me. Anyway, we need a bit more info before we can help. Chances are it's a heat issue, but we'll go ahead and get all the info anyway.

Is it an abrupt change in FPS, or does it just slowly decline? What kind of FPS do you normally get? Has it always done this, or did it work properly before?

Finally, to test whether or not it's heat related, you need to find out what temperatures your card is experiencing. It's possible it's getting too hot and throttling itself to prevent damage. I typically use SpeedFan for this, which is free and is just a google search away.

Go ahead and install SpeedFan, or any other software to get your GPU temperatures really, and start gaming. If you can keep the temps up on a second monitor, great. If your GPU stays south of 90C, you're fine. Any higher and it's overheating, and is the source of your problem.
m
l
March 22, 2012 10:04:22 PM

CPU overheating and throttling down.. download coretemp and verify cpu temp when slowdowns occur
m
l
March 30, 2012 1:19:57 AM

I have coretemp, its around 55 Degrees Celsius and its an adrupt change willard and its not heat related.
m
l
!