Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Supply causing cpu overheating

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2012 7:17:41 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently updated my pc and It has led to cpu overheating. I think that it is a psu issue.

I have a lot of trust in this forum and so i feel i would get right psu suggestion here.
My specs are

CPU - amd phenom ii x2 550 black edition (http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii5...)
Max TDP 80 Watts

2 SATA HDD

1 DVD RW

1 ATI 6670 1 GB DDR5 CARD (requires 400 W)

2 CPU FANS

Can you suggest the PSU that i should opt for. I need a budget level PSU if possible.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 8:23:51 AM

I don't see the connection between the PSU being underpowered causing CPU temps to go high. Just don't see it.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 9:00:26 AM

There is absolutely NO WAY the PSU can cause the CPU to overheat.
In the worst case scenario the PSU can't provide the CPU with enough power so the CPU wouldnt even be able to overheat.
Unless your PSU is a no brand 300W unit you should have no problem.
And your graphics card does NOT require 400W on its own.The requerement stated that the whole PC WITH this graphics card can use no more than 400 watts of power.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 9:43:18 AM

agree with what's been said. ignore your PSU and look for another cause of overheating. Has the heatsink been knocked or anything?
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:56:25 AM

Kamen_BG said:
There is absolutely NO WAY the PSU can cause the CPU to overheat.
In the worst case scenario the PSU can't provide the CPU with enough power so the CPU wouldnt even be able to overheat.
Unless your PSU is a no brand 300W unit you should have no problem.
And your graphics card does NOT require 400W on its own.The requerement stated that the whole PC WITH this graphics card can use no more than 400 watts of power.

Does this mean that spending money on new Psu is of no use??
Will applying thermal paste reduce my cpu temp from 100 C to 40 C??

Is there any s/w or any way in which i can monitor weather my cpu and gfx card is getting current power supply.
On internet i can find only temp monitor tools.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 12:04:51 PM

dgreatnee said:
Does this mean that spending money on new Psu is of no use??
Will applying thermal paste reduce my cpu temp from 100 C to 40 C??

Is there any s/w or any way in which i can monitor weather my cpu and gfx card is getting current power supply.
On internet i can find only temp monitor tools.

Did you remove your heatsink from your CPU? If you did, you need to clean off the old thermal paste and re apply brand new thermal paste. You can't reuse the old stuff.
m
l
September 21, 2012 5:38:45 AM

Thanks to all for replies..
Thermal paste did the trick for me...CPU temp has gone down dramatically from 98 C to 48 C..
This forum rulz... :D  :D 
m
l
September 21, 2012 9:25:35 AM

same with me.. :) 
m
l
September 24, 2012 5:48:52 PM

Best answer selected by dgreatnee.
m
l
!