Having second thoughts, still need a PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I made a thread previously here regarding the OCZ Z-SERIES 1000W 80+ Gold Certified PSU. Although I was certain I was going to get it, I started doubting it, and I wondered if it really is reliable or not.

Now, the reason I started doubting and had second thoughts about the OCZ is for few reasons. Many people had experienced it making an extremely loud screech noise, and others (and this scares me the most) have experienced their GPU screeching because it's not obtaining enough power. This one guy had to RMA it twice, and I don't know if the third one turned out the same. I saw a video of it screeching and it sounds awful. It only does that in game.

Another thing is that the PSU isn't being made anymore, it's a 3 year old product, it's not actually fully modular, so is it really a "sale" when I'm getting it for $130 ($100 if MIR is successful)? Help convince me it is or isn't.

Now, I may not need 1000 watts right now but I will in the long future, and I'd like something that will last a year or two when that time comes. 80 plus gold is also very appealing.

Here will be my specs:
Zotac GeForce GTX 680 AMP 1.1GHZ 2GB 6.6GHZ (this thing is power hungry, probably the most power hungry 680 on the market)
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo
i7 3770K
24-27" 120hz or 144hz monitor, with 3d capability
8-16GB DDR3 @ 1600 or 1866
1TB 7200RPM
SSD

But then I think, by the time I can SLI or get a 690 or mutliple monitors or whatever I choose, I can just get a greater watt PSU. So I'm not going to get a high PSU wattage unless it's on sale. My budget is $200 max but I prefer under $150.

Here are the PSU's on sale (the top and bottom are cut off a bit but you still see the name)
9gPtk.jpg

Stay away from those old OCZ PSUs. You are just asking for trouble getting one of them.

Stick to something reliable and quiet, like the Corsair Enthusiast series 750 Watt unit. With 4 PCIE connectors, it'll power whatever graphics cards you throw at it.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
If you want a good, reliable moderate wattage unit wit high efficiency and a modular design the Rosewill Capstone 750M is pretty good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
As for the OCZ Z1000 I would stay away from it.It's not like you need 1000W right?

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Well I'm not too sure what wattage I need. The Zotac card is very watt hungry, and I listed what specs I'm going to have for awhile. I can always upgrade to 1000 watts or higher later on when I need to. As long as it can handle two Zotac 680's or a single 690 I'll be happy, with 50-100watt leeway to feel safe.

NCIX doesn't sell rosewill products. What about the PSU's on sale I showed?

I don't really care about noise, as long as it's not this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-EiKydtLo

I care about 80 plus gold certified and price and reliability more than anything.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I used some website and it recommended me 612 watts. I'm not sure if that's accurate or if I filled it in accurately. Here is the website: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

" Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important, followed by the +5V amperage and then the +3.3V amperage. "

What does this mean...?

(I would really appreciate if someone properly figured out what wattage I need because I think I'm doing it wrong)

It's an image. Here's the link to it if it's not showing up: http://i.imgur.com/9gPtk.jpg

Is 850 wattage what I need? Would that last a long time (ie, support 3d, sli, maybe even 690 sli)

edit; I can price match that Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 down to $180, still pretty expensive but if it's going to last I'll go for it.

The requirement for a single GTX 690 and a two-way SLI of GTX 680s is is significantly different. A single GTX 680 Amp consumes about 243W at full load while a GTX 690 consumes about 334W.
GTX 690 Review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/26.html
GTX 680 AMP Review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_680_Amp_Edition/26.html
Let's assume some top end power draws:
1. Two GTX 680 Amps is around 486W with another 100-150W for the rest of the system (100W is more likely) is 636W; you'll want around a 800W PSU to handle full load power draws without going above an 80% load on the PSU.
2. A single GTX 690 is 334W plus 100-150W for the rest of the system is 484W; you'll want around a 620W PSU to handle full load power draws without going above 80% load on the PSU.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Can 850 watts handle two 690 sli?
Also, are you taking into consideration 3d monitors etc or do they not emit that much wattage?

Okay, so I think nows a perfect time for me to decide do I want to stick with a single 680 then get a 690 or just sli my 680... Then I could just get a lower wattage PSU for the 680 and then when I go for the 690 get a higher one... for when I want to SLI that 690... or I don't know, it's a tough descision.

Also, I don't even know if that Zotac card can fit an SLI on a ASUS sabertooth z77 because of "The card is too thick to be used in a 2-way SLI configuration if there’s only one other slot between the graphics PCI Express slots on the mainboard."

You don't have to concern yourself with the monitors, they don't draw any power from your system, only from the wall outlet.

You need to decide on your display card strategy, then add up the numbers and buy the appropriate PSU. Not really complicated.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

If that 850 watt you showed me can handle 690's in SLI (although I doubt it) then I would just go for that.

Also you still haven't checked out the PSU's on sale have you...

I'm going to be using a 3d monitor (only one monitor) @ 120hz or 144hz eventually, the question is would 680 sli suffice for that. In other words what would I need 690 in SLI for that two 680's can't offer me. Because I can imagine myself buying some 690s in the future, but if they're overkill and not needed I wont bother.

:heink: what do you mean two 690 on a 850w ?

If you're planning on running Furmark 24/7 you might be right
If you intend to use your machine for gaming, not much need for doubt

graph-4.png

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/41581-nvidia-geforce-gtx-690-sli-surround/

At 90% efficiency it works out to about 585w with a much more power hungry overclocked 3960x ( around 70% of an 850 watts' capacity )

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I'm going to be using a 3d monitor (only one monitor) @ 120hz or 144hz eventually, the question is would 680 sli suffice for that. In other words what would I need 690 in SLI for that two 680's can't offer me. Because I can imagine myself buying some 690s in the future, but if they're overkill and not needed I wont bother.

Also, I don't even know if that Zotac card can fit an SLI on a ASUS sabertooth z77 because of "The card is too thick to be used in a 2-way SLI configuration if there’s only one other slot between the graphics PCI Express slots on the mainboard." source

Here is my thread regarding my concerns about the Zotac card if you want to chekc it out; http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/369905-33-concerns

:pt1cable: :lol: Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 690 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 690 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 950 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.

if he says it would work i would believe him OP ;)

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

That one isn't sold at NCIX :(

Ah okay. But is the 690 SLI overkill for my needs? The 690 is basically the same performance as two 680s, however it would be cheaper to just get two 680s.

I've never done overclocking before, it looks like hastle havign to do tweaks here and there, I will be using intels turbo boost most likely. Is overclocking as simple as using programs like MSI afterburner or do you have to go into BIOS and everything?

Also the 3770k can only overclock to like 4.5Ghz any higher and it isn't "stable" and the Zotac's cards overclocking potential is pretty bad, I might overclock it. It depend on how easy it is. Does the whole process take less than a minute or does it take like 10+ minutes of hastle. Plus apparently overclocking wears your products down faster which isn't pleasing, if that's the case I might do little to none.

I thought he said it wouldn't work if I'm doing gaming... :sweat: urrr don't confuse me :cry:

Sorry could have been more clear
It will work, you would be at around 70% load when gaming
If you intend to game or run power viruses 24/7 go for more power

Status
Not open for further replies.