charge daily for a short period to battery full or charge ..

Last response: in Brands
May 26, 2004 10:11:09 PM

I have a Nokia 6230. My battery does not run out every day but I just
plug it in to top-up until the battery is full. Is this a bad thing
to do ? Should I wait until the battery in almost run out before
topping up ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 4:14:08 PM

"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I have a Nokia 6230. My battery does not run out every day but I just
| plug it in to top-up until the battery is full. Is this a bad thing
| to do ? Should I wait until the battery in almost run out before
| topping up ?
|
| Thanks.

Wait till it says battery low a couple times, then charge. Small top ups
everyday when the battery is not even close to flat ruins the battery faster
than you would ever imagine!! :-)
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 4:14:09 PM

"tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message news:2hl88gFeguemU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | I have a Nokia 6230. My battery does not run out every day but I
> | just plug it in to top-up until the battery is full. Is this a bad thing
> | to do ? Should I wait until the battery in almost run out before
> | topping up ?
> |
> | Thanks.
>
> Wait till it says battery low a couple times, then charge. Small
> top ups everyday when the battery is not even close to flat ruins
> the battery faster than you would ever imagine!! :-)

That's what I always thought, but according to postings I've read
recently, if you have a Li-ion battery it is better not to run it down.
By running a Li-ion battery down only (say) 50 percent you will
have to recharge more often (of course), but the battery will last
for many more charges such that the total life will be increased.
So they say anyway. Do some Google Groups searches.
Related resources
May 28, 2004 9:33:24 PM

To clear this up - EACH time you charge your phone's battery, it
shortens the life span, no matter if it's Li-ion or the antiquated Ni-CD.
As a rule of thumb, the initial charge is the most important - charge to
manufacturer's instructions (normally more than 10 hours) with the phone
off. After that charge when the battery is almost flat. Do so for about
4-6 hours.

L David Matheny wrote:

> "tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message news:2hl88gFeguemU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
>>"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>| I have a Nokia 6230. My battery does not run out every day but I
>>| just plug it in to top-up until the battery is full. Is this a bad thing
>>| to do ? Should I wait until the battery in almost run out before
>>| topping up ?
>>|
>>| Thanks.
>>
>>Wait till it says battery low a couple times, then charge. Small
>>top ups everyday when the battery is not even close to flat ruins
>>the battery faster than you would ever imagine!! :-)
>>

> That's what I always thought, but according to postings I've read
> recently, if you have a Li-ion battery it is better not to run it down.
> By running a Li-ion battery down only (say) 50 percent you will
> have to recharge more often (of course), but the battery will last
> for many more charges such that the total life will be increased.
> So they say anyway. Do some Google Groups searches.

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 9:33:25 PM

Agreed that each time you charge the phone, it will shorten the
lifespan. But what is the factor that causes the shortening of the
lifespan ?

Is it due to the number of times of charging or the duration ? If I
were to charge every 2 days at for 1 hour each time, is the damage the
same as charging everyday for half an hour each time ?

Thanks.

vortex <vortex@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:<c97m44$el4$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>...
> To clear this up - EACH time you charge your phone's battery, it
> shortens the life span, no matter if it's Li-ion or the antiquated Ni-CD.
> As a rule of thumb, the initial charge is the most important - charge to
> manufacturer's instructions (normally more than 10 hours) with the phone
> off. After that charge when the battery is almost flat. Do so for about
> 4-6 hours.
>
> L David Matheny wrote:
>
> > "tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message news:2hl88gFeguemU1@uni-berlin.de...
> >
> >>"flahmeshess" <dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >>Wait till it says battery low a couple times, then charge. Small
> >>top ups everyday when the battery is not even close to flat ruins
> >>the battery faster than you would ever imagine!! :-)
> >>

> > That's what I always thought, but according to postings I've read
> > recently, if you have a Li-ion battery it is better not to run it down.
> > By running a Li-ion battery down only (say) 50 percent you will
> > have to recharge more often (of course), but the battery will last
> > for many more charges such that the total life will be increased.
> > So they say anyway. Do some Google Groups searches.

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 7:30:03 PM

I guess it would be the number of times u charge. Charging the phone longer
simply top-ups the battery nicely.

| Agreed that each time you charge the phone, it will shorten the
| lifespan. But what is the factor that causes the shortening of the
| lifespan ?
|
| Is it due to the number of times of charging or the duration ? If I
| were to charge every 2 days at for 1 hour each time, is the damage the
| same as charging everyday for half an hour each time ?
|
| Thanks.
|
| vortex <vortex@anywhere.com> wrote in message
| > To clear this up - EACH time you charge your phone's battery, it
| > shortens the life span, no matter if it's Li-ion or the antiquated
Ni-CD.
| > As a rule of thumb, the initial charge is the most important - charge to
| > manufacturer's instructions (normally more than 10 hours) with the phone
| > off. After that charge when the battery is almost flat. Do so for about
| > 4-6 hours.
| >
| > L David Matheny wrote:
| >
| > > "tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message

| > >>|