auto run of *.exe's when power up&down?

January 8, 2005 3:37:08 PM

I have two *.exe's I want the PC to run automatically. One executes when the
PC is turned on or comes out of standby. The second executes when the PC is
turned off or put into standby. Any white papers or how-to instructions?

My *.exe's send commands out of the COM2/RS232 port. I have a peripheral
attached to the RS232 that I want to turn off&on when the PC power
transistions.

Mike.

More about : auto run exe power

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:57:28 AM

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| I have two *.exe's I want the PC to run automatically. One executes when the
| PC is turned on or comes out of standby. The second executes when the PC is
| turned off or put into standby. Any white papers or how-to instructions?
|
| My *.exe's send commands out of the COM2/RS232 port. I have a peripheral
| attached to the RS232 that I want to turn off&on when the PC power
| transistions.

Mike,

XP Pro can easily be configured to run scripts at Startup and Shutdown.
I do not know about running scripts when going into, or coming out of Standby.

What about hardware control? Is the peripheral able to sense the
DataSet Ready or Carrier Detect or Clear To Send levels?
January 9, 2005 9:57:29 AM

The HW control of the peripheral is very simple: RS232 with Tx,Rx&GND only --
it has none of the other control signals in the RS232 spec. I put the PC COM
port into a standard Null configuration.

If you have a link on embedding exe's to run at power up and down, could you
pass me a URL? (p.s. I'm not looking to run scripts, to me that implies
something like Java or Perl, I want to run compiled exe's).

Mike.

"a nonymous" wrote:

> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> | I have two *.exe's I want the PC to run automatically. One executes when the
> | PC is turned on or comes out of standby. The second executes when the PC is
> | turned off or put into standby. Any white papers or how-to instructions?
> |
> | My *.exe's send commands out of the COM2/RS232 port. I have a peripheral
> | attached to the RS232 that I want to turn off&on when the PC power
> | transistions.
>
> Mike,
>
> XP Pro can easily be configured to run scripts at Startup and Shutdown.
> I do not know about running scripts when going into, or coming out of Standby.
>
> What about hardware control? Is the peripheral able to sense the
> DataSet Ready or Carrier Detect or Clear To Send levels?

January 10, 2005 9:59:48 AM

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| I have two *.exe's I want the PC to run automatically. One executes when the
| PC is turned on or comes out of standby. The second executes when the PC is
| turned off or put into standby. Any white papers or how-to instructions?
|
| My *.exe's send commands out of the COM2/RS232 port. I have a peripheral
| attached to the RS232 that I want to turn off&on when the PC power
| transistions.

| "a nonymous" wrote:
| XP Pro can easily be configured to run scripts at Startup and Shutdown.
| I do not know about running scripts when going into, or coming out of Standby.
|
| What about hardware control? Is the peripheral able to sense the
| DataSet Ready or Carrier Detect or Clear To Send levels?

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| The HW control of the peripheral is very simple: RS232 with Tx,Rx&GND only --
| it has none of the other control signals in the RS232 spec. I put the PC COM
| port into a standard Null configuration.
|
| If you have a link on embedding exe's to run at power up and down, could you
| pass me a URL? (p.s. I'm not looking to run scripts, to me that implies
| something like Java or Perl, I want to run compiled exe's).

For XP Pro, not on a domain:

1) In a text editor (such as Notepad), create the script to launch your
StartUp-Shutdown.EXE, e.g.,

Path\to\StartUp-Shutdown.EXE

- Save it in a folder of your choice or the Default Folder:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon

+ With a .BAT extension as a batch file
e.g., StartUp-Shutdown.BAT

2)
Start
Help and Support
STARTUP SCRIPT

Full-text Search Matches (11 results)

1. Assign computer startup scripts
2. Assign computer shutdown scripts
6. Scripts
9. Order of events in startup and logon
--

REFERENCE http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315245
(How to Assign a Logon Script to a Profile for a Local User - XP Pro, not on a domain)

Thanks, you've helped to give me some insight in to the terminology used by
MSFT, and to dig deeper. Here's a "tool" I found for managing logon&logoff
scripts from a common point:

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc -> Ok
Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings ->
Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

You'll see what's going on once you get into the Scripts(Startup/Shutdown)
console. I'll play around with this.

Mike.

!