Tonkyboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Hi Guys, Can someone please recommend me a PSU.

I'm on a tight budget (as always), because it's been entirely blown on other components.

This is what I have so far.....

Socket 2011 Core i7 3820
Asrock X79 Extreme4 motherboard
8Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3
Gigabyte Radeon 7950 Windforce 3x
OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB SSD
Corsair H80 Cooler
2 x 250 GB SATA II Drives for storage (older ones - can't afford new yet)

So that's what I blew the budget on (by not an inconsiderable amount).

Now I can muster about 80 pounds for a PSU, and have looked at loads and just don't know which to go for. I thought about the Novatech Powerstation Black Edition 850W for 75 pounds, but then I thought maybe I should get a lower wattage "better" branded PSU.

Can someone just tell me what to buy please ?

Lower wattage better brand is usually a better PSU than higher wattage worse brand, so I would second that.

XFX 550w or 650w is probably fine or something from Seasonic in that range. Seasonic is the best maker and both those brands are 100% Seasonic powered.

Antec and Corsair both use a lot of Seasonic and a lot from other companies too (Delta and Channel Well, respectively) so if you want one from those you would have to do some research to see if they are Seasonic or not after you narrow down to a specific model.

co0ldown

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Any PSU from Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Silverstone are great from my experience.

You are probobly looking around the 550w-650w range fi you don't plan crossfire.

Tonkyboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I may do crossfire eventually. I've looked at those suggested, and I'm liking the XFX Pro 750W Core Edition. Right price, and it won't be overworked. My biggest problem was getting the right amount of power. I checked some sites for advice, and the range was anything from 530W to 610W, so I really wanted some advice from real people instead of some website estimating my needs. I'm going to get a minimum of a 650, and I'll stick with the bigger brands.
Just a shame that I blew the budget on the other components. I really wanted a lot of money for the PSU, but it just can't happen now.Thanks for the advice guys.