What is the Best Graphics Card??

Russell_PC

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
HI PEOPLE :)

I have a simple yet very important question to ask you all:
what is the best graphics card that money can buy? highest fps, high vram, good sli scaling, and everything, ie. the absolute best

Everyone feel free to comment and say which card u reckon wins,
or even if its worth waiting for the next gen 6xx series or AMD next gen

money isnt really a factor, of course i wont be spending like $2000 on a gpu but u get what i mean.

so comment below and say which cards are the absolute best :)
feel free to post benchmarks & charts,

other important factors:
I also want the most future proof card (high vram, and multiple SLI/crossfire support) (i know the 590 can only run 2 way sli (which i dont want, i need at least 3 way)
future proof is important to me, cause I will be plugging a new one in every time fps drops bellow 60fps

thankyou everyone!
leave your comments and suggestions to help me build my new system :)

ps.
assume that ill have 3D surround,
and well above 1080p

THANKS AGAIN :)

Solution

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Straight answer is the GTX680 as a single GPU option, at least right now, it'll support 4 way SLI. Cheaper than a 7970 as well. Remember that although the GTX590 can only technically support 2 way SLI, there are two GPUs on it so in effect two of them = 4 GPUs. So wait for maybe the 690 so you can go quadSLI with the best of the best. That said, for OCing, 680s will probably do pretty well especially with water cooling...

Most powerful single GPU currently: GTX680. Best from AMD: 7970. Most powerful cards in most cases: HD6990 and GTX590, although not for long. Maybe the GTX690 or 7990 will be the most powerful cards on the market soon, but for now, 680.

Solution

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

As for sli IMO the 7970 will beat the 680gtx 2gb (ATI have 3gb). But nvidia will release a 4gb version so if you can wait the 680gtx 4gb might be the monster.

But then again ATI had bether crossfire performance then nvidia going sli in the last generation GPU. So even if a single 680gtx 2gb (and the 4gb version) beat a single 7970 3gb card. ATI migh win the multiple GPU race. We can't know for now.

Russell_PC

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
thanks for replys :)

so the gtx 680 is sounding pretty good. and im definitely looking at buying for my new build

but now u have me wondering :) would u say its worth the wait for the 690?
and how many months exactly would the wait be more or less?
cus i dont have a computer at all atm i just sold my last build haha

600 series is looking better than AMD so ill go with nvidia
thanks again :)

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

two 680 will beat a single 690. The reason to go for a 690gtx would be for the money your saving and easyer to make it work.

Also I doubt that you'll see a 690gtx befour a couple of months.

But whats resolution you plan to be playing ?

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Wait for 4gb = 2 Months at earliest from reports...remember 7970 launched in Jan..where are the 6gb versions? No where to be seen.

TBH 2gb will be plenty for eyefinity or surround. A lot of people are making a big fuss out of the whole vram issue but several benchmarkers have said that it will not make a difference. Some people swear that having 4gb will be life changing but I don't buy it.
I would go with 680. In larger display test expect to see the 7970 and 680 be neck and neck. Hardforum has a benchmark up for this and they are very similar where the 7970 catches back up.

However, if you care about drivers/cost/efficency go with the 680. I mean, look what nvidia did by releasing drivers on release day. So nice!!!

Does Sli/xfire etc take the vram from the lowest card or the highest card? Im spacing and I have forgotten. If it does take the highest you can always go with 2x 2gb versions and then get a 4gb for your main card later. But I have a feeling I am wrong and that it takes from the lower vram card.

Russell_PC

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
thanks for replys :)
So Im still thinking the 4gb 680, i know AMD are good too but ive never used them and id prefer stick with what`s familiar
and ive been told that the gtx 680 performs almost as well as the gtx 590
690 sounds promising but as someone said earlier its for people with limited pcie slots and im looking to have at least 3 slots so 680 still wins in that regard i think.

Should i get a stock Nvidia Card or wait to see what the other companies like MSI, EVGA, Gigabite, etc, do with their versions of the GTX 680 4gb?

thanks again everyone :)

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Well as everyone has said before the best is the gtx 680, it is cheap, extremely powerful, runs cool and with lower power requirements than it´s predecesor. Anyway before waiting for a higher ram version, you should take into account that this hardware is way beyond any game´s requirements so far and it´s best that well suited for the next generation, if you find yourself in the future (far one) outperformed in any game, just add another 680 in sli and that will do