Need advice on cooling for twin GTX560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI Setup

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I am purchasing two EVGA Geforce 560 TI 448 cores Classified Ultra Video cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758

I want to increase the cooling capacity for the cards so they are less likely to overheat when I run them in SLI configuration. I was considering the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme PLUS II Universal VGA Heatpipe Cooler.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14457/vid-173/Arctic_Cooling_Accelero_Xtreme_PLUS_II_Universal_VGA_Heatpipe_Cooler.html?tl=g40c21s66

I just want to make sure that this cooler will work if I am going to be running two of these cards in SLI. I don't wanna void my warranty installing them to find out they don't even fit the card or that with them installed the cards won't fit in the slots. lol

Has anyone used this cooler on a Classified card or another such card that would be similar?

I would also accept recommendations to other aftermarket coolers similar to this one. I cant afford to water-cool and I don't plan to OC the cards. Just wanna keep the temps as low as possible. I currently run a GTX460 and it runs around 70-78c under load in BF3. I'm worried that these two cards will run way hotter together and cause issues.

Any assistance you can provide will be much appreciated. :)

James Peek

Solution
I've got those coolers installed on a couple of GTX 560 Ti's (non-448 core). Beware that you'll be looking at a tripple height card when installed and there will be minimal room (maybe a couple of mm) between the two cards if installed three slots apart from one another. That said, they work great. They dropped my temps from mid 80's to the mid 60's under full load. Check around for the best prices, they used to sticker on newegg for around $90 each and I found them at some random site that made me nervous but ended up being no problem at all for around $60 each shipped.

EDIT: Also, regarding installation, let the card sit overnight after you apply the heatsinks and epoxy. Afterwards be very careful not to bump any of the heatsinks as...

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I've got those coolers installed on a couple of GTX 560 Ti's (non-448 core). Beware that you'll be looking at a tripple height card when installed and there will be minimal room (maybe a couple of mm) between the two cards if installed three slots apart from one another. That said, they work great. They dropped my temps from mid 80's to the mid 60's under full load. Check around for the best prices, they used to sticker on newegg for around $90 each and I found them at some random site that made me nervous but ended up being no problem at all for around $60 each shipped.

EDIT: Also, regarding installation, let the card sit overnight after you apply the heatsinks and epoxy. Afterwards be very careful not to bump any of the heatsinks as they'll come off easily. Surface prep with an eraser as suggested in the instructions is absolutely key to getting a good bond. Also plan on a good hour or two for install time on each card. It's quite tedious but well worth the effort when you're gaming in cool sweet silence.

Solution

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Well I checked on the MOBO I am going to get for the cards and the slots are three away from each other. So I will see how hot they get with the extra space between them and go from there. I know installing these will void my 3 year EVGA Warranty. I'd rather not do that if I don't have to but there again the heat might kill them. Dilemmas dilemmas....

The other thing is I am not sure if it will work on the Classified Ultra cards. I will just shoot Arctic cooling tech an email and ask them. They should be able to tell me.

And I won't use the epoxy that comes with them. I will buy some Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy. But I will still use follow your advice. :) Thanks!

Thanks! I think you gave me the info I needed. :)

With the 680's out and the new 660 on the near horizon, I'd be hesitant to drop $680 on two cards ..... especially two "limited production run cards"....Haven't verified independently but EVGA site says 560-448 Classified has 6 phase design .... same as the reference 570 upon which the 560-448 is based

(560-448 is a 570 with one SM disabled)

http://www.overclock.net/t/929152/have-you-killed-a-570-no-recent-deaths-buy-some-570s/550

The 570' with 6 phase designs were quire problematic.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
OP, installing those coolers actually won't void your warranty with EVGA. They're one of the few companies that's cool about this kind of thing. As long as you do a proper install and return the card to factory specs before returning it in the event of a problem you'll be fine. I believe if you read the warranty FAQ they even excplicity state this.

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

I have the option of putting the side mesh panel on but I like the window so i just added a 120mm fan to the side of the drive rack which points directly to the card. It seems to do the trick for now. :) My case is the Corsair White Graphite 600T.

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Not too worried about who beats who. I wanted SLI and the 560 TI was the best I could afford. :)

etrnlxdarkness

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I will check into that right now. :)