constant running of scandisk on startup of XP

Whenever I start or restart my computer it wants to run scandisk on just
one of the hard disk partitions. It does this all the time. I have let
it run and I have canceled it out all to no avail. I am running Win XP
Pro + SP2.

Hi,

Open up a command prompt window (Start/Run CMD) and type the following and substitute VOLUME with
the volume label on which CheckDisk runs on every boot:

CHKNTFS /X VOLUME

for example, if your C: drive is checked at every bootup, you would like to type:

CHKNTFS /X C:

Hope this helps.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Open up a command prompt window (Start/Run CMD) and type the following and substitute VOLUME with
> the volume label on which CheckDisk runs on every boot:
>
> CHKNTFS /X VOLUME
>
> for example, if your C: drive is checked at every bootup, you would like to type:
>
> CHKNTFS /X C:
>
> Hope this helps.

I tried this, it worked for one drive but not for the other. chkntfs
says that the 'f' drive is 'dirty', whatever that means.

Tried to find a fix for the dirty bit and found no fix. Found lot's of
others with the same problem. Tried all fixes and none worked. I backed up
my drive and reformatted it and have not had any problems. My dirty bit got
set when I canceled out of chkdsk and it locked up.

"nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:ZIcEd.32730$8l.29989@pd7tw1no...
> Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Open up a command prompt window (Start/Run CMD) and type the following
and substitute VOLUME with
> > the volume label on which CheckDisk runs on every boot:
> >
> > CHKNTFS /X VOLUME
> >
> > for example, if your C: drive is checked at every bootup, you would like
to type:

> > CHKNTFS /X C:
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> I tried this, it worked for one drive but not for the other. chkntfs
> says that the 'f' drive is 'dirty', whatever that means.

What does the event viewer say about it.

http://www.uscricket.com