constant running of scandisk on startup of XP

Whenever I start or restart my computer it wants to run scandisk on just
one of the hard disk partitions. It does this all the time. I have let
it run and I have canceled it out all to no avail. I am running Win XP
Pro + SP2.
4 answers Last reply
More about constant running scandisk startup

    Hi,

    Open up a command prompt window (Start/Run CMD) and type the following and substitute VOLUME with
    the volume label on which CheckDisk runs on every boot:

    CHKNTFS /X VOLUME

    for example, if your C: drive is checked at every bootup, you would like to type:

    CHKNTFS /X C:

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Open up a command prompt window (Start/Run CMD) and type the following and substitute VOLUME with
    > the volume label on which CheckDisk runs on every boot:
    >
    > CHKNTFS /X VOLUME
    >
    > for example, if your C: drive is checked at every bootup, you would like to type:
    >
    > CHKNTFS /X C:
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    I tried this, it worked for one drive but not for the other. chkntfs
    says that the 'f' drive is 'dirty', whatever that means.

    Tried to find a fix for the dirty bit and found no fix. Found lot's of
    others with the same problem. Tried all fixes and none worked. I backed up
    my drive and reformatted it and have not had any problems. My dirty bit got
    set when I canceled out of chkdsk and it locked up.

    "nargd" <y@r.com> wrote in message news:ZIcEd.32730$8l.29989@pd7tw1no...
    > Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Open up a command prompt window (Start/Run CMD) and type the following
    and substitute VOLUME with
    > > the volume label on which CheckDisk runs on every boot:
    > >
    > > CHKNTFS /X VOLUME
    > >
    > > for example, if your C: drive is checked at every bootup, you would like
    to type:

    > > CHKNTFS /X C:
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >

    > I tried this, it worked for one drive but not for the other. chkntfs
    > says that the 'f' drive is 'dirty', whatever that means.

    What does the event viewer say about it.

    http://www.uscricket.com