Votes: 9 45.0%
  • AMD3800+

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

bluehaven

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i need a little help here..

i've been reading the forum lately and still can't decide which CPU is the best in all terms for my money(b/w these two).

some ppl wrote that the pentium d930 having heat problems..but some claim it doesn't.is it really true?(considering no extra super cooler used..just plain one)

i've read that the amd3800 have no weaknesses..apart from the fact its more pricey than the Intel d930.

one more thing:which CPU runs a single program faster?

thanks in advance for any of ur help=)

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
AMD is currently much better at running nearly anything, gaming included. Of course, Conroe is coming around the bend and we'll see that works out.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Dude for the same price as a x2 3800+ im SURE you could find a 940, or possibly a 950. And if you're willing to overclock i personally think they would be the better bet! But if you want stock perf, go for the x2 3800+, it's a verdy purdy chip!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hehe, true. I don't really know why i even bother keep getting Intel...it just seems to be a habit these days :p Cos i ain't no fanboy, and i know AMD are the better CPU maker at the mo, but Intel just hold some strange force over my wallet! heh

bluehaven

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Dude for the same price as a x2 3800+ im SURE you could find a 940, or possibly a 950. And if you're willing to overclock i personally think they would be the better bet! But if you want stock perf, go for the x2 3800+, it's a verdy purdy chip!

thanks for pointing that out.i must have overlooked and since u mentioned it..imma correct my question.what about b/w the d940 or possibly d950 against the x2 3800+ ?which is more value for money?pls vote=)

bluehaven

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Or he can wait for conroe and get the cheapest one.

hmm...i dunno.coz conroe is new and im not in such a hurry.what im trying to say is that i dont mind waiting for maybe 3-4 months more :)

but im a little concerned about the price..can i get the cheapest conroe for around the compared CPUs price range?and how it will stack up to both of them(overall performance)?

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Or he can wait for conroe and get the cheapest one.

hmm...i dunno.coz conroe is new and im not in such a hurry.what im trying to say is that i dont mind waiting for maybe 3-4 months more :)

but im a little concerned about the price..can i get the cheapest conroe for around the compared CPUs price range?and how it will stack up to both of them(overall performance)? Well the cheapest conreo i heard is gonna be around 200-250.

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Great price :) Around an AMD 4000+ or PD 930. I suggest you wait...like me ;). What do you have now? Is it really worth it to upgrade now? I'm sure I'll get an insane boost from my computer...I've been waiting years for this upgrade!....I'll probably just get a laptop for mobility and use this computer for work (because I like full size keyboards and monitors ;))

bluehaven

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Great price :) Around an AMD 4000+ or PD 930. I suggest you wait...like me ;). What do you have now? Is it really worth it to upgrade now? I'm sure I'll get an insane boost from my computer...I've been waiting years for this upgrade!....I'll probably just get a laptop for mobility and use this computer for work (because I like full size keyboards and monitors ;))

umm..im kinda building a desktop system from scratch :lol: the reason for choosing over these two CPUs:a value-for-money system that is "future-proof".i hope so :wink:

and really,hope u guys who voted be unbiased about this.hehe.

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
oh lol then how are you on the forumz? ;)

Hmm...the 930 is more future-proof indeed. If you want the best future-proof system, you'd have to get an expensive i975X mobo that supports Conroe (I believe, not quite sure)

Hey don't worry, after all, I'm unbiased4u ;)

I hate expensive laptops :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
There is nothing futureproof about any socket 939 processor. They do a fine job at what they do but AMD basically signed socket 939's death warrant with yesterday's release of socket AM2. Seeing the performance of AM2, I'm glad I have my 939s though that performance is going to change rapidly. Once AMD gets everything over to 65nm, clock speeds will ramp up quickly and the K8 architecture scales marvelously. Combine these higher clocks with the additional bandwidth of DDR2 and AM2 will be a real winner. Conroe may get and keep the crown for a while (and again, maybe not but until it ships, it doesn't exist.) but AM2 will be in the running to say the least!

But, now is not the time to think "futureproof". Either buy obsolesence now or wait. This isn't to say that you can't get some extremely powerful stuff right now, but you will be limiting your upgrade paths.

Almost forgot, there is some interesting information here that may help you answer your own questions.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Conroe E6700 Will be Exactly like Buying a FX-62 because Conroe will Support Intel-64Bit extention. and will also give you Dual channel and give you 65nm cores and SLI support and almost everything the best of the best(from any price range) can offer you. but only for a range of 300$-900$