need advice please about display driver stopped responding in startup

stickerhappy

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello, i badly need your advice. i know that this has been a common issue about the display driver but usually this issue occurs while playing, web browsing, multitasking etc. mine was just on the startup. i will know that it will happen again on the startup coz the booting time takes longer than usual. i noticed also that i get same error during startup when i'm on the battery mode of the laptop.3 days ago while i was just web browsing it suddenly went to bluescreen and the system restarted. it happened once the previous owner of this laptop told me to have it reformatted with OS and drivers freshly installed again for the second time. but nothing has changed. still every now and then i think 1-4 times a day depending on how much i restart this computer since i've been closely monitoring this in the startup, i keep getting lags and again this warning flashes on the screen "display driver intel graphics accelerator driver for windows xp(r) stopped responding and has succesfully recovered". i have tried troubleshooting this including those TDR delay tutorials, driver update still it happens. anyone having the same issue here? should i be worried that something related to its ram or graphic card is already defective? coz i still have the option to return this to the owner. btw, i'm running windows 7 ultimate x64, core i3, intel hd graphics, 2gb ram, asus laptop. thanks in advance masters!!

this link is the video of the driver issue that i'm talking about. http://youtu.be/_WVhIfBNI58

stickerhappy

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

do you mean i should try to update my display driver? yes i have already updated its driver but it doesnt seem to work. does this sound like it has more serious issue aside from those common software issues?tnx much sir!

stickerhappy

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

ok sir thank you. i will do that.hehe right from the start i'm worried about its gpu. they always say that it is just a software or driver issue. there's nothing to worry about. they advised to reformat again but still the issue is there. since day one it has been happening every now and then til now. i noticed that it occurs only when i'm on battery mode. if i leave it charging i think it doesn't happen. what do you think? but i believe i deserve a unit with no issues from the start.thanks

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi
This may sound silly, but have you checked the fans for dust?
A clogged fan can cause overheating which would lead to a failure.
Failures following progressive degradations can be down to increasing heat.

stickerhappy

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
clogged fan? maybe yes. what are the signs of clogged fan aside from performance degradation? i can't even hear its fan running. even on its first boot of the day it driver issue happens.

stickerhappy

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
here's my event log for the error
Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 3/23/2012 3:07:21 PM
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Asusk42F-PC
Description:
Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Display" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-23T07:07:21.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>5924</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Asusk42F-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>igfx</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
anyone knows how to read this?

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012

If the fan isn't spinning on boot then that certainly isn't normal.
On initial bootup the system normally spins all fans at max for a fraction of a second to test rpm speeds.
Find the fan vents and give them a good blow.
You can also download a diagnostics program like PC probe which will give you voltage and temperature levels from all available sensors in your hardware.
You can boot and watch the values to see if anything dramatically increases or decreases before the failure.

TRENDING THREADS