Sign in with
Your question

General Graphics Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2012 1:42:50 AM

So I'm having a strange issue with my graphics. I keep getting what I think are artifacts (I don't REALLY know too much about graphics and lingo, but I believe that's correct.) It's very sudden, I don't know exactly when it started, but it just came out of nowhere. I just got a new Radeon HD 6870 today and that didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure whats wrong, but I haven't changed anything until the graphics card today. Anyone have any insight on the matter?

Images of the problem:
Spoiler

More about : general graphics issue

a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2012 2:08:12 AM

If you are getting artefacts after changing the GPU then it could be your PSU delivering bad voltage to your graphics card. If this is the case your cards are at risk of permanent damage. Get the PSU checked out.
m
l
March 23, 2012 2:33:17 AM

It was getting artefacts before I changed the GPU too. Still the same problem? How might I get my PSU checked?

Edit:I've also noticed for a longer time now that textures in my games didn't seem to be as high quality as they should be no matter what setting I put the game up to. It just seems like I'm using low res textures all the time in some games. Like games that people play or tell me should look amazing (such as Skyrim) don't, textures look blurry and stretched, and shadows are a joke. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this shouldn't be so on a Radeon HD 5770 or 6870 should it?

Edit2:Also possibly important to note: My computer doesn't seem to realize the new card is there. I have a gadget that shows the status of my card, and it has no readings, and I just downloaded AMD Overdrive, to see if i could play with voltage settings, and it doesn't have any info on my card that's currently in the case. However, device manager says its there, and obviously it is physically there, otherwise I wouldn't have the video to be typing this.
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2012 3:33:26 PM

Ok, so I've gotten the game to stop with the artefacts, but I had to turn off AA and Anisotropic Filtering. As I said, I may be wrong, but a Radeon HD 6870 shouldn't have this problem should it? And shadows and textures still don't look as good as they should to me, especially shadows.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
March 23, 2012 3:52:50 PM

There are some issues with the drivers that AMD has released and you might have to revert to an earlier driver version to get to where the game will play the way it's supposed to. There are a few other posts here with the same issues and one of the things that helped was turning off AA and AF. Try going back to the 12.1 driver.
m
l
March 23, 2012 4:16:57 PM

I'm sorry for being inconvenient but how exactly would I do that? Not sure where to find the older driver. As for installing it over what I have, I would just uninstall what I have and install the old one would I not?
m
l
!