Sign in with
Your question

First Time Builder - Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2012 9:57:20 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: In 2-3 weeks.

Budget Range: I'm going to skip this part, as where I live hardware is significantly more expensive than what its sold for in the US/Australia/Europe. Let's call it an enthusiast budget. For the same reason I'm leaving out the "Preferred Website" and "Country" parts.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the Internet, watching movies, light photoshopping.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Parts Preferences:
I've already decided on getting an Intel Core i5-3570K Processor, since as far as I understand it's great for gaming and light-medimum overclocking. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, please.

I have a preference for Z77 motherboards, particulary Asus ones. From what I've read, the P8Z77-V PRO seems to have all I need. I'm not sold on it yet, so if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them. Please no ASRock motherboards, they're difficult to find here.

As for the Graphics Card - I'd like a fairly recent one, though I can't afford those that cost over 400$ in the US.

Overclocking: Yes, in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I don't mind paying a little more for quiter hardware, or a longer warranty. I want to be able to run recent games (Skyrim, D3, etc) on this system on High/Ultra settings, without needing to overclock it for smooth gaming in the next 1.5-2 years. I also don't want to worry about upgrading my hardware for the next 2 years.

This is the general, incomplete build I've up come up with so far:

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Seagate ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Keep in mind that this is my first time putting together a gaming build. I won't be purchasing anything from Newegg, but I figured a list with actual links would make a nice reference.

I'm still clueless about the following:
Graphics Card
PSU
Case (currently considering the NZXT Phantom 410. Will it be spacious enough?)

Guidence, advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated.

More about : time builder gaming

May 23, 2012 10:09:09 PM

Graphics card options under $400
Radeon 7950 or GTX 670
Check some benchmarks on line , one or other may be better in the games you want to play
The gigabyte "windforce" models would be my first choice . Great cooling and less noise .

A 600 - 650 watt psu will cover that load easily . The corsair TX 650 is usually well priced .

A great gamer case with excellent cable management is the Antec 1100 .
Antec , silvertone and the CM HAF line are all good , but there are others
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:54:51 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!

What are your thoughts on the following graphic cards?
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Gainward GeForce® GTX 670 Phantom

The store I'll be purchasing the hardware from doesn't seem to have Corsair PSUs. The selection is: Antec, Seasonic, Thermaltake.

What should I be looking for when choosing a case for this build?
I'd like to have a better understanding of it, in case I won't be able to find the specific cases suggested here.

m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 11:12:16 PM

Stormborn said:

What are your thoughts on the following graphic cards?
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Gainward GeForce® GTX 670 Phantom

The store I'll be purchasing the hardware from doesn't seem to have Corsair PSUs. The selection is: Antec, Seasonic, Thermaltake.

I'd like to have a better understanding of it, in case I won't be able to find the specific cases suggested here.

There is no Gigabyte GTX 670 or Asus GTX 670 or EVGA GTX 670 where you live? Those brands are more reliable. If not, I guess you would have to go with the Gainward GTX 670 since it is actually a bit faster than even HD 7970 at stock speed. When both are heavily overclocked, the HD 7970 may come out ahead slightly (depends on which card overclock higher)

A normal GTX 670 can overclock to 1200 Mhz core easily (boost clock that you see during gaming). A Good GTX 670 can do 1300+ Mhz, and an insane GTX 670 can do 1400+ Mhz.
As for HD 7970, a normal one can do 1100 Mhz easily, a good one will do 1250+ Mhz and an insane one will go 1300-1400 Mhz.
Do not get HD 7950 if its the same price as the GTX 670 since you get a lot less value for the money.
m
l
May 23, 2012 11:27:15 PM

jacknhut:

There is, though not in the store I'll be purchasing my hardware from. Purchasing from different stores and building the computer myself will make it very difficult to get any components replaced/looked at in case I encounter problems. That's how companies who sell hardware separately work here. They'll give you a lot of trouble if you arrive at their lab with a system you put together yourself, regardless of where the parts were purchased.

I guess I'll go with the Gainward GTX 670, then. Its price is very close to that of the Gigabyte HD 7950.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.
m
l
May 24, 2012 12:21:10 AM

Stormborn said:

Seasonic is the best quality PSU you can get. Antec should come close second and should be a bit cheaper. I would suggest you get either Seasonic or Antec.
As for case, most mid tower cases are fine and should fit all of your components. However, the only thing you need to look for is to get a reasonable big mid tower case that have enough room for a long video card (length) and have room for a large CPU heatsink (width). Also, more expensive cases are designed with cable management in mind, ie they allow for better cable management so you can run cables behind the case to get a "better looking" from the outside.
m
l
May 24, 2012 1:38:21 AM

The 670 is a little faster than the Radeon and that shows in the pricing . Gainward are one of the budget brands , but if its the same price as the 7950 then I would definitely go with it .
m
l
!