Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC power issue

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2012 10:00:36 PM

Not sure if this is in the right section, if it isn't... sorry. I'm new and my comp is a prebuilt one minus the replaced pieces here and there.

Two months I replaced my power supply and my computer worked alright with no problems but now... it seems to have grown a mind of its own.

At first my computer would shut down all by itself without any warning or BSOD.

With this problem, the main problem would be it becoming too hot inside, but I had a small house fan blowing in it so I don't think it was overheating.

After that... my computer started turning on by itself then 1-2 seconds later it will shut off and the power button no longer even works to turn the computer on.

I've tested each RAM I have 1 at a time and no change, so I don't think they're the problem, I've unplugged just about everything but the power button to the computer to test out what may work or not.
I'd test the PSU itself but I only have 1 and I don't have any tools to test it.

I think the power button may have shorted out and now causing my problems, but I would like a second opinion before I go out and buy anything in case I'm wrong.

I'm hoping my motherboard itself isn't the problem...

More about : power issue

May 23, 2012 10:02:46 PM

Turning off as if someone had just pulled the power plug out of the wall socket usually indicates a faulty power supply .

Check the psu fan is spinning .

Try the old psu
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:05:19 PM

Not that kind of turn off. I got the 'shutting down' screen before it starts going nuts altogether.
The old PSU died which was why it was replaced and it's in the trash, so trying that is... unlikely.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 10:10:39 PM

Sounds like it was shutting down to protect itself from over heating .

Check that the cpu cooler is firmly in place . It should not move at all
Also check its not blocked with dust , and that the cooling fan stays on
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:15:07 PM

Checked it, not even a wiggle.

But as I said in my first post, it has progressed past that. I have to keep the computer unplugged or after I plug it in or hit the switch on the back of the PSU it turns on for 1 second before turning off... and staying off. It won't turn on or do anything past that point.

It doesn't even get to heat up.
m
l

Best solution

May 23, 2012 10:27:22 PM

You can check the front panel power button by unplugging the connector at the motherboard .
Touch the two contacts on the mb with the tip of a screwdriver for a fraction of a second . If that turns it on then the front panel is the problem
May 23, 2012 10:32:46 PM

If by two contacts you mean where the connector is plugged into the motherboard... there isn't 2, there's 9.

If you mean something else, you may have to explain in detail.

And I've been taught never to touch anything on the motherboard with a screwdriver or anything else metal.
Nor am I going to risk damaging my motherboard even by accident.
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:37:42 PM

Nevermind Outlander. It seems that you were correct. I used the screwdriver to try that and it does seem to be the problem with it starting by itself.

Though I have to ask. Could this also be the cause for my computer to be shutting down by itself without any real reason to do so?
m
l
May 23, 2012 11:21:03 PM

Best answer selected by Reias.
m
l
May 24, 2012 1:29:28 AM

Reias said:
Nevermind Outlander. It seems that you were correct. I used the screwdriver to try that and it does seem to be the problem with it starting by itself.

Though I have to ask. Could this also be the cause for my computer to be shutting down by itself without any real reason to do so?

I think its likely to be the cause of your earlier problem too. It may even have been one of the reasons your old psu failed . But Im not sure how that would happen .
Im glad you found the problem
m
l
!