Closed Solved

Help choosing best graphics cards to crossfire

I need to replace my old geforce 210.
I need to going to get a pair next saterday but I can only spend at most $70 on each card because the adaper is $15.
So I need the best gaming pair of ati/amd gpu's there is for this budget.
If this helps i'm putting my current build specs.
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
AMD FX-6100 (x6 3.6GHz)
Corsair vegence 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Ram
640GB WD scorpio
Nvidia geforce 210
LG 24x DVD drive
600w cool max psu
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help choosing graphics cards crossfire
  1. Are you sure you want to go crossfire?
    With $70 for each, you'll likely end up with a less performing system.
    Why not go for a single card completely for $140?
    HD 6850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908
    It costs around $120 after rebate.
    You can CF later on, when you've got the money.
  2. ^ agreed
  3. a few things to consider before your build finalises.
    the cpu and the psu are the weak points of your build. if you're building for gaming and crossfire, check out this sbm build from december which used an fx 6100 and had crossfired gfx cards.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-overclock-crossfire-ssd,3098.html
    secondly, your motherboard chipset 970. iirc 970 chipset only allows cfx up to x16+x4 modes and only one 970 mobo supports x8+x8 cfx and that's not gigabyte.
    you should get a sturdy psu from corsair/enermax/seasonic/antec if you have cfx in your mind.
  4. I do agree with you on the FX-6100, but his PSU is okay to run a HD 6850. But for Crossfire, no, I agree with you on that too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159055
    The brand is a low quality one, I can tell you that, since it doesn't seem to provide 80%+ efficiency.
  5. i read two reviews from hardwaresecrets on coolmax psus. those said that if someone tried to pull rated wattage out of the psus, they burn out.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-V-500-Power-Supply-Review/1366
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/977
    for psu, i was thinking like this one:
    corsair tx 650 v2 @$90, $80 after mir
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    imo it's a better deal than seasonic m12ii 620.
    for gfx card, 6870 and higher because of increased microstuttering in the lower end amd cards. or start with single radeon hd 7850 for better psu-friendly, performance and future cfx option.
    $70 gfx cards will have very high chance of microstuttering. better to go with $150-$200 single card now and add another one after a year or two.
    edit: two more psus for greater flexibility with cfx and possible cpu and gfx card overclocking
    SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold $140
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088
    Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W $95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182133
  6. For Coolmax, yes, they would burn out, and probably even before exceeding the rated wattage.
    If OP's got the money, then yes, a HD 6870. I said an HD 6850 because it would fit the OP's budget, still leaving him with $20.
    But what's $20, compared to increased performance, huh? :)
    And yeah, the PSU you chose is good.
    The TX 650W would be enough to SLi even GTX560Ti's.
  7. I found this one at frys
    http://www.frys.com/product/6649644?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    Its another 6850 but it doesn't specify any specs.
    Anyone know the specs for it?
  8. burstfyre20 said:
    I found this one at frys
    http://www.frys.com/product/6649644?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    Its another 6850 but it doesn't specify any specs.
    Anyone know the specs for it?

    Looks like an MSI cyclone.
    De5_roy linked it to you.
  9. Ok so it could have a core clock of 775mhz or 860mhz.
    And with the rebate I will get, I will be able to get another 4Gb of corsair vegence ram.
  10. So is it that all of the cards that use a specific Id number "example ati radeon hd 5750 or 6270" have the same specs?
  11. Sorry if I didn't make sense earlier. I mean the model number like between a msi radeon hd 5770 and a visiontek radeon hd 5770. Do gfx card in that sense have the same specs?
  12. burstfyre20 said:
    Sorry if I didn't make sense earlier. I mean the model number like between a msi radeon hd 5770 and a visiontek radeon hd 5770. Do gfx card in that sense have the same specs?

    difference between an msi radeon hd 5770 and a visiontek radeon hd 5770 would be in brand name (msi vs visiontek), gpu cooler (for non reference designs), overclocks (if any). they'd have the same gpu inside the gfx card. if you link them it'd be easier for others to point out differences if any existed.
  13. de5_Roy said:
    difference between an msi radeon hd 5770 and a visiontek radeon hd 5770 would be in brand name (msi vs visiontek), gpu cooler (for non reference designs), overclocks (if any). they'd have the same gpu inside the gfx card. if you link them it'd be easier for others to point out differences if any existed.

    Msi radeon hd 5770
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490
    Visiontek radeon hd 5770
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129150
    origionally I was gonna get the msi varient of this when I first started to look for computer parts. But aside from how it looks and who made it, it doesn't matter because there the same?
  14. They are almost and both the same in performance.
    I'd go for the MSi though.
  15. Gman450 said:
    They are almost and both the same in performance.
    I'd go for the MSi though.

    I used those as a example but I would get the msi one aswell. I am looking for the best gfx card I can get for my build but I kinda now wanna get another 4GB of ram and thats like $25 at frys which leaves me with about $110 for a good gaming card or two $55 good gaming cards for crossfirex. Do u have any sugestions?
  16. Crossfiring 2 $55 cards vs say a 6850 as mentioned before isn't the best.

    I would grab a 6850 try to find that extra ~30.
  17. gary1 said:
    Crossfiring 2 $55 cards vs say a 6850 as mentioned before isn't the best.

    I would grab a 6850 try to find that extra ~30.

    Well I don't have an extra $30 I have $145 but i'd like to get the ram for my pc. So aside from the 6850 was the next best that costs less?
  18. Best answer
    burstfyre20 said:
    Well I don't have an extra $30 I have $145 but i'd like to get the ram for my pc. So aside from the 6850 was the next best that costs less?

    HD 6790.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161377
    You can get it for $120.

    Apart from that, a HD 6770.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540
    You can get it for $100 after rebate.

    HD 6790>HD 6770.
  19. Gman450 said:
    HD 6790.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161377
    You can get it for $120.

    Apart from that, a HD 6770.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540
    You can get it for $100 after rebate.

    HD 6790>HD 6770.

    Well i'll how much they cost at frys cause I have one 10 minutes away and i'm on my way there.
  20. burstfyre20 said:
    Well i'll how much they cost at frys cause I have one 10 minutes away and i'm on my way there.

    Costs the same, I guess.
    HD 6770.
    http://www.frys.com/product/6640454?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    HD 6790
    http://www.frys.com/product/6815076?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  21. Gman450 said:

    I got a msi 6770, 4Gb of corsair vengence & some cool blue cold cathode case lights.
  22. Best answer selected by burstfyre20.
  23. burstfyre20 said:
    I got a msi 6770, 4Gb of corsair vengence & some cool blue cold cathode case lights.

    Enjoy your new setup. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product