Sign in with
Your question

CPU temperature

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2012 5:45:32 PM

My amd fx 8120 cpu temperature is goes nuts while gaming for example while playing darksiders 2 according to core temp the min temp=49 and max temp= 66. i mean thats crazy scary. i use an msi motherboard . pls can som 1 give some solutions for this

More about : cpu temperature

a c 78 à CPUs
September 14, 2012 6:10:18 PM

Assuming it's not crazy hot in your room, and the temp readings are correct:

Make sure the heat sink fan is working.

Remove the heat sink, clean the old thermal paste off of both the CPu and the heat sink. Then reapply a thin layer of new thermal paste and reinstall the heatsink, ensuring that it's seated and secure.
m
l
September 14, 2012 10:36:31 PM

If you're using a stock cooler than it sounds normal. I was getting 60ish with my stock cooler and 965.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 10:55:24 PM

That's not that bad....
If it's stock cooler, then yes, like Enigma said, it's normal.
m
l
September 15, 2012 3:46:58 AM

they say the max operating temp is 61-62 u wud think the manufacturers wud give a cooler to atleast make sure not to go over that. for now reassemble the cooler and apply some new thermal paste and see if that does the job
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 11:45:27 AM

The FX chips can run hotter than the Phenom II's.

However, 66c under full synthetic load would seem normal with stock cooling, but with a video game?

I don't play Darksiders, but Crysis 2 doesn't get within 10c of my Intel burn test temps. This makes me think that a full load would drive your CPU well into the 70's. (Or at least try to before it starts throttling)
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 1:34:39 PM

Look at the specs. from AMD 61c max operating temp. Look in BIOS for cpu fan adjustment speed.
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 1:44:57 PM

Imrulbd said:
they say the max operating temp is 61-62 u wud think the manufacturers wud give a cooler to atleast make sure not to go over that.

The temperature stated on AMD's (and Intel's) quick spec sheet is the case/package temperature while the temperatures most people look at in monitoring software is the core/junction temperature. Junction temperature limits are much higher than case temperatures and the numbers are buried somewhere in the thermal design specifications. AFAIK, all modern CPUs' TJmax are over 90C.
m
l
!