CPU temperature

My amd fx 8120 cpu temperature is goes nuts while gaming for example while playing darksiders 2 according to core temp the min temp=49 and max temp= 66. i mean thats crazy scary. i use an msi motherboard . pls can som 1 give some solutions for this
7 answers Last reply
More about temperature
  1. Assuming it's not crazy hot in your room, and the temp readings are correct:

Make sure the heat sink fan is working.

Remove the heat sink, clean the old thermal paste off of both the CPu and the heat sink. Then reapply a thin layer of new thermal paste and reinstall the heatsink, ensuring that it's seated and secure.
  2. If you're using a stock cooler than it sounds normal. I was getting 60ish with my stock cooler and 965.
  3. That's not that bad....
    If it's stock cooler, then yes, like Enigma said, it's normal.
  4. they say the max operating temp is 61-62 u wud think the manufacturers wud give a cooler to atleast make sure not to go over that. for now reassemble the cooler and apply some new thermal paste and see if that does the job
  5. The FX chips can run hotter than the Phenom II's.

However, 66c under full synthetic load would seem normal with stock cooling, but with a video game?

I don't play Darksiders, but Crysis 2 doesn't get within 10c of my Intel burn test temps. This makes me think that a full load would drive your CPU well into the 70's. (Or at least try to before it starts throttling)
  6. Look at the specs. from AMD 61c max operating temp. Look in BIOS for cpu fan adjustment speed.
  7. Imrulbd said:
    they say the max operating temp is 61-62 u wud think the manufacturers wud give a cooler to atleast make sure not to go over that.

The temperature stated on AMD's (and Intel's) quick spec sheet is the case/package temperature while the temperatures most people look at in monitoring software is the core/junction temperature. Junction temperature limits are much higher than case temperatures and the numbers are buried somewhere in the thermal design specifications. AFAIK, all modern CPUs' TJmax are over 90C.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Temperature