Sign in with
Your question

Seeking advice on first build!

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 12:11:22 AM

Hello people, this is my first post here. I'll try to be as precise as a young french canadian can be. :D 

I'm getting my first summer job and I spend so much time gaming. And so I thought about building my own gaming PC. The one I have is quite average (AMD Phenom II x4 955 and Sapphire 5850 HD) and can run all of my games pretty much to maximum but I am running into one problem. I want to step up my gaming and buy a 120hz monitor (BenQ one) and so I need to have an average of 120 FPS to maximize the monitors potential.

I'm asking for advice on what would be cheaper/better or what would work best with what. So here's what I have come up with;

EVGA GTX 670 (428$)
i5-2500k (236$)
Asus P8Z68-V LX (122$)
Corsair TX850 v2 (131$)
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD SATA 3 (156$)
Corsair Vengeance (2x)4 GB DDR3 1600hz (53$)
Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case (95$)
BenQ XL2420T 120hz Monitor (387$)
Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler (65$)
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium (from my current PC)

For a total of approximately 1675$. I don't necessarily have a budget but I wouldn't want to go too high. The price for this setup is perfect right now as it is. What I'm not familiar with is motherboards. I have found one that supports true SATA 6GB/S for my SSD but I don't know if I could have found a better or cheaper one. Note that I'm aware that the motherboard doesn't support SLI. If I ever want to upgrade my GPU, I'll just buy a new one. I don't like the hassle of using SLI. Another thing I'm not familiar with is cooling systems. I use my computer on the second floor (I live in Southern Qu├ębec, Canada if it helps) and I'm a bit worried about over-heating in intense gaming sessions this summer. I welcome any advice on my current build and I thank you if you have read this far. :) 

Lastly, those are the games I plan on mostly playing in no particular order;

- Guild Wars 2
- All Points Bulletin: Reloaded
- Alliance of Valiant Arms

Cheers!

EDIT: I have found this specified for my motherboard "The PCIe x16_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot." Is this anything I should worry about?

More about : seeking advice build

May 24, 2012 2:54:33 AM

Try www.tigerdirect.com They have some great deals. I have ordered from there. They are a safe site. You may be able to get more for your money. As far as what you want to pick. I will give you the best advice someone gave me. Every day prices are dropping/varing. TAKE your TIME shop wise. dont settle. Get what you want and research everything you need. It's worth it. Good luck.
May 24, 2012 7:56:02 AM

Here are a few things I would recommend:
Motherboard: The motherboard you chose, though not a bad one, is from the previous generation. To take advantage of the newer technology, get a z77 MoBo. I would suggest either a Gigabyte z77-ud5h (or-ud3h for cheaper) or Asrock z77 Extreme 6 (or Extreme 4 for cheaper).

CPU: Get the latest IB to take advantage of PCI Express 3.0. i5-3570k if you want to overclock in the future.

PSU: Even if you plan to SLI, a good 750W PSU will be more than enough.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will perform similar to that H-series Corsair for 30 dollars cheaper. If you're worried about overheating, get a software to monitor your core temps and add fans as you see fit.

SSD: Though that may be a good SSD, I would get a Crucial m4 or Mushkin Chronos instead. More reliable in my opinion.

Regarding your PCI Express question, I'm not too sure about the technicalities. However, what that would mean is that if you plug in a device in both those PCI-E slots, they would essentially run slower. Because they are "sharing" a bandwidth rather than having specific bandwidth alotted for each slot.

For places to find parts, try these Canadian websites:
Directcanada.com, Bestdirect.ca - I've used them before. They are very reliable.
May 25, 2012 12:53:56 AM

j___o___s___h said:
Try www.tigerdirect.com They have some great deals. I have ordered from there. They are a safe site. You may be able to get more for your money. As far as what you want to pick. I will give you the best advice someone gave me. Every day prices are dropping/varing. TAKE your TIME shop wise. dont settle. Get what you want and research everything you need. It's worth it. Good luck.

You are right j___o___s___h, prices drop quickly and I need to make sure everything works together and wait for as far as I can and it's exactly what I'll be/am doing! Tigerdirect sure has great prices but I find to have better prices on Directcanada.

l0v3rboi said:
Here are a few things I would recommend:
Motherboard: The motherboard you chose, though not a bad one, is from the previous generation. To take advantage of the newer technology, get a z77 MoBo. I would suggest either a Gigabyte z77-ud5h (or-ud3h for cheaper) or Asrock z77 Extreme 6 (or Extreme 4 for cheaper).

CPU: Get the latest IB to take advantage of PCI Express 3.0. i5-3570k if you want to overclock in the future.

PSU: Even if you plan to SLI, a good 750W PSU will be more than enough.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will perform similar to that H-series Corsair for 30 dollars cheaper. If you're worried about overheating, get a software to monitor your core temps and add fans as you see fit.

SSD: Though that may be a good SSD, I would get a Crucial m4 or Mushkin Chronos instead. More reliable in my opinion.

Regarding your PCI Express question, I'm not too sure about the technicalities. However, what that would mean is that if you plug in a device in both those PCI-E slots, they would essentially run slower. Because they are "sharing" a bandwidth rather than having specific bandwidth alotted for each slot.

For places to find parts, try these Canadian websites:
Directcanada.com, Bestdirect.ca - I've used them before. They are very reliable.

Thank you very much for those advices! The motherboard one has greatly helped. I did not know that z77 was the latest generation of motherboards! I have looked at what was available, what I needed, and the prices of motherboards in the z77 generation. I have found the "Gigabyte Z77M-D3H" to be a really good motherboard for my needs and it's 114$!

I have searched about the CPU you have told me about and I have come across this really nice article on this same website; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... It seems to be as the i5-2500k is still the best bang for the buck CPU you can find. Right now, as stated in my first post, I use an AMD Phenom II x4 955 and not a single of my games uses it at 100% so I'm not really worried about not having enough power with the i5-2500k.

I will take your word about the PSU and so I have switched to a Corsair TX750 v2 for 111$. The TX850 one was 132$.

I have looked up your cooler and I have read further about the Corsair Hydro Series and I have come to the conclusion of buying a Corsair Hydro Series H80. It's more expensive but I think it will be worth it because it offers much better cooling and I absolutely need those degrees.

Now for SSDs. I have looked up your SSDs and this is what I found; Crucial m4 is a bit more expensive, Mushkin Chronos is a bit cheaper but doesn't acheive the performance the Corsair Force Series GT does and I have seen really few bad reviews about the Corsair so I think I'll stick with that one! Thanks for showing my other options for SSDs. I'm still learning and it's nice to learn about this "new" technology.

Oh and, I do my shopping on Directcanada.com. My father has also bought pieces from that website and yes, they are indeed very reliable. They have really nice prices too! 5% taxes and free shipping!

So this is what my rig looks like right now;

Galaxy GTX 670 (430$) (EVGA one is out of stock but the Galaxy one has a 3 year warranty so it's all good, didn't really need the SC EVGA one anyways)
i5-2500k (230$)
GA Z77M-D3H (114$)
Corsair TX750 v2 (111$)
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD (144$)
Corsair Vengeance (2x)4 GB DDR3 1600hz (56$)
Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case (95$)
BenQ XL2420T 120hz Monitor (387$)
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler (94$)

Total; 1561$

All those prices have taxes included and shipping is free! This setup makes much more sense. All I have to do is verify if the Corsair H80 fits in Corsairs case and that's all! Thank you very much both of you!
!