Aftermarket cooler not doing anything please help!

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
This is the first aftermarket cooler i ever installed and i think i did it right. It was the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and my build is:

Asus p8z77-v pro
i5 3570k
GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB
NZXT Phantom Full Tower (I think the case fans are connected to the PSU since the Motherboard doesn't detect them)
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Asus DVD Drive
Corsair 850W Gold PSU

With the stock fan on 100% i was getting temps of ~45C Idle and now with the CM Hyper Evo at 100% i'm getting ~38C on Idle. Is this bad? Does something need to be RMAed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really worried right now. Is the CPU being faulty a possible cause of this? Would it be ok to RMA now after i replaced the stock cooler with an aftermarket cooler?

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

so 38-40C at idle is fine at 100% power from the Cooler Master Hyper 212? I thought i'd see a bigger difference. How should i test load temperatures? This will be used mostly for gaming.

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

I don't know. I'm new to Computers so sorry if i sound like an idiot. I just thought that if it was at 38-40C idle when other people get like 50C max temps then what will mines be when it's max? That's what has me worried.

Is there a big difference in temperature between running a game in fullscreen and running a game in windowed mode so i can see HWMonitor at the same time?

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
There are other factors that need to be considered if you see other users get lower temps at load. It's not as simple as getting a aftermarket cooler and then magically the temp decreases by 15 degrees.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Ambient temperature , cpu case , other pc components, cpu type, and dust all affect CPU temperatures. A drop of 7 degrees is excellent already but the biggest improvement youll see with an aftermarket cooler like the 212 Evo is when you're under load. You won't break 50-60C under 100% load while stock ones would easily go into 70C area.

For example; i have 212+ (literally same thing as evo) and my idle temps are high 30s/low 40s and it's the summer with ambient temps of 80-90F. No air cooler will cool the CPU lower than that.

In other words; there are other factors other than the actual cpu cooler that determines your cpu temperatures. No two person will get the same exact results.

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

It's 79F in my house right now.

Just tried playing Team fortress 2 at 1920x1080 @ max and got around ~52C

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Also @lilotimz, are you getting those temps with your hyper+ at 100% fan speed?

Is it ok to keep the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo running at 100%? Should that even be necessary? Should i run the Prime95 Blend test? I'm worried about running it again as last time i got 90C in the first few seconds when i was using the Stock Cooler.

xa376

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Your temps are 100% stable. Although it is higher than most people get with this cooler I would link that to your case, fans, ect. (I get 25C idle and 37C max with this cooler) However my CPU is different than yours so it is expected to get different temps. I think yours is just fine, especially if your not going to over clock.

*You also could have applied thermal past wrong but since you experience 7C less idle temps I think your fine.

mace200200

Honorable
Your temps are fine, but you should make sure your fan on your heatsink is blowing air towards the back of the case, where I assume you have a case fan pushing air out, if you have to two fans going against eachother it will slow it down. No body thought to tell me this but you can set your CPU fan to PULL air through the heatsink, it doesn't have to just Push air through it.

InvalidError

Titan

What makes the case important is not the case itself but the placement and number of extra fan mounts provided along with the configuration of those fans. Properly choosing which fan mounts to use, shut off or leave open to improve airflow across critical areas has a greater influence than the case itself.

AsoIaF

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

I have it pointed at the top. The CPU fan is pushing air at the top of the case and the fan at the top of the case should be blowing air out of the case. I hope. There is also the back fan which is right next to it also blowing air out of the back.

Time to try Prime95 Blend. A quick question about that. If i run it and temps fire up to 90C again within 4 seconds should i stop it like last time? Also, what is the highest temp when i should stop Prime95? Thanks.