Sign in with
Your question

My Current GAMING RIG *So Far*

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 2:18:03 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This month.

Budget Range: Under $900.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, editing, movies, and web.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, computer case, and OS.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Microcenter, CompUSA, and Amazon.

Parts Preferences: Anything.

Overclocking: Yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes?

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

MY CURRENT BUILD SO FAR:

CPU: i5-3570k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Mobo: ASRock Extreme4 Z77

RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB (2x4GB)

Hard Drive: Western Digital RE4 500GB

GPU: Sapphire 7850 2GB (Not the OC'd one)

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

PSU: ???

Optical Drive:
???

I know my case isn't the best, but I have it now and don't have enough $$$ to get a new one, so I will reuse.

There are a lot of optical drives out there, so I don't know which one to pick. I need a CD/DVD Burner + Driver.

And I don't know how many watts I need for my PSU, so I am stuck there too. I prefer it to be modular though.

PLEASE, if you think there is a better option for me, tell me.

More about : current gaming rig

May 24, 2012 3:50:36 AM

Case should be ok.

Optical drive, pick the cheapest sata drive that does what you want.

PSU, look for something 80+ certified. Look for corsair antec, etc. I would say at least a 600 watt from a major brand like that.
May 24, 2012 4:09:23 AM

The power requirements for the 7850 are quite modest.
500W should do it.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

Stick to known quality brands like Seasonic, XFX, Antec, PC P&C, and Corsair.

You will pay a premium for modular which is not really needed with your case.
You will be using most of the leads anyway.
It would not be wrong to overprovision the psu a bit, say to 600w.

Here is a PC P&C 600w modular unit for $70:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is a corsair 600w unit that is not modular for $60:
Related resources
May 24, 2012 4:36:25 AM

Absolutely nothing wrong with an Antec 900 case. I have one and plan to use it until it turns to dust or is damaged in a random llama stampede. Whadda ya mean "not the best"! It may be long in the tooth but it will still hold its own with some of these new fangled cases.

I would agree with the other posters regarding PSU and CD/DVD choice.
May 24, 2012 4:49:17 AM

Cable management is something I am trying to avoid when I build this. The Antec 900 doesn't have a lot of room, but would it still be fine? I do not want to drill holes on my case to keep them organized.

I am really wanting to get a semi modular one, so can you help me on that? I personally do not know P&C and the other one got some bad reviews. I am hoping it be under $100 but can go up to $110.

Would 600W be enough if I was to ever go crossfire?

And are you guys thinking the current build is good? I am sill confused on the GPU since it is sold out on Newegg and only on Amazon, which costs $270. I dunno if it is worth that much of just get a 570, which is $270.
May 24, 2012 4:59:46 AM

Nope. You need 650W min.

It is good. Keep everything, but XFX PSU, which is high quality. Newegg reviews mean ***.
May 24, 2012 5:16:13 AM

At maximum power usage,

HD 7850
101w (202w crossfire)

77w
+50w for turbo and OC.

Motherboard
50w

HDD
30w

Optical
20w

Case/CPU fans
5w per (25w - 1 CPU fan, four case fans)

RAM
15w per stick (30w)

With a pair of 7850's, you'd have an absolute max power usage of 484w. In order for that to happen, you'd have to be playing a system-crushing game while simultaneously burning a DVD and torrenting.

a 600w *will* support the rig, but in order to stay in a PSU's ideal efficiency range (50-75% utilization), you'd need a minimum of 650w; that would put it at almost exactly 75%.

Realistically, you're going to want 750w for a crossfire'd 7850 rig. PSU's lose power over time, and you may want to put something else in the rig besides just a 2nd 7850.
May 24, 2012 1:27:21 PM

Lets just forget about the crossfire, but there will be OCing. Would 620W be enough?

I found a nice semi modular one for about 90 which is a really good deal.

I don't know if this matters, but I am also planning on changing my front fans for my computer case. That would mean more watts but would it be a big difference?

I plan on changing the two front 120mm fans to something else (still researching)
May 24, 2012 8:08:22 PM

620w is plenty for any single gpu. That includes GTX580.GTX680/7970...
It is the graphics card/s that drive the total power usage. Fans and other peripherals take minimal power.
An OC, in theory does take more, perhaps 10w, but really ignore that too.

If you plan on sli, assume you need 200w-300w more for the second card, depending on how much power the card requires. I think it is better to plan a graphics upgrade around a single stronger card.

The Antec 900 fans should be good. I suggest you try them first, before spending money on different fans.
Higher rpm fans will push more air, but at the expense of more noise.

Seasonic is one of the best quality psu's around. The one you linked to os very good.
May 24, 2012 8:11:29 PM

Firelance said:
Lets just forget about the crossfire, but there will be OCing. Would 620W be enough?

I found a nice semi modular one for about 90 which is a really good deal.

I don't know if this matters, but I am also planning on changing my front fans for my computer case. That would mean more watts but would it be a big difference?

I plan on changing the two front 120mm fans to something else (still researching)

Still would go with at least 650W like these guys said. If you go too low and you push it too hard, the capacitors can blow and destroy not only the PSU but could also kill the GPU and Motherboard as well. So if you're like me being paranoid, save some $$ in the long run and put another $30 into a higher PSU that'll also probably last longer like some of the Corsair Builder or Enthusiast Series that have both Modular and Non if you want.
May 24, 2012 8:12:48 PM

500W for one 7850 is enough power.
May 24, 2012 11:56:26 PM

If you plan to CF/SLI one day, yes. Otherwise, the 550W XFX PSU is a better deal.
May 25, 2012 12:16:24 AM

Firelance said:
I'm looking at the TX650M for $110. Looks real nice, semi modular, and 5 year warranty.

Should I get this one?

Looks good.

But, how about this Seasonic semi modular 620w unit for $89?

Or this PC P&C silencer 600w modular unit for $69 after rebate?

Any are good quality and will do the job for you.
May 25, 2012 1:18:03 AM

The SeaSonic you posted was the same one I posted :lol: 

I thought you guys recommended me a 650W at least?

Either $89 620W or $110 650W. Both are semi modular.
May 25, 2012 1:28:48 AM

550W is recommended as the best for a single GPU. 650W is for 2.
May 25, 2012 2:18:15 AM

Firelance said:
The SeaSonic you posted was the same one I posted :lol: 

I thought you guys recommended me a 650W at least?

Either $89 620W or $110 650W. Both are semi modular.

A quality psu will deliver power in excess of it's rated wattage, and will do it continuously, not just at peak.
It is nice, but absolutely necessary to have a stronger psu than the minimum.
It will only draw the power it needs, regardless of it's rating.
The value in overprovisioning the psu is that it will loaf a bit under load, and the fan will not spin up as high trying to cool it.

Each 6 pin pci-e power connector can deliver 75w, and a pci-e slot can deliver 75w too.
So, if you add a second graphics card, your max added power draw will be the 75w for the slot, and 75w for each 6 pin pci-e connector that the graphics card requires. Simple cards take one, stronger cards take two, and some cards like the GTX580 take a 6 pin and an 8 pin(150w).
In actuality, the power draw is less, but a conservative assumption allows for the max.

Fortunately, this is not rocket science, and a good old fashioned rule of thumb qorks quite well.
May 25, 2012 5:06:06 AM

When it comes to the power connectors/cables, I get lost very easily. I still need to know whether to get the 620W or 650W. I plan on just going for one GPU, no crossfire. Would the 620 be good enough? I would just want to get a little bit above the recommended amount just to be safe, like you guys said.

I also realized now I can't buy the GPU just yet, but am still planning on the 7850. I do not have the money for it now, and it is even out of stock. Hopefully price will go down lower within in the month. It looks like I will have to use Intel's 4000 graphics until then. :cry: 

Besides the PSU, I am confident with my build. I will post it here again so that you guys can correct me on anything bad.

May 25, 2012 5:14:29 AM

You are overthinking the PSU at this point. Either of those two geofelt last listed would do just fine and you will be just as happy with either one.
May 25, 2012 5:35:11 AM

Well this is my first time building so I just want to make sure I am not overpaying or getting a bad part. I guess I will go with the SeaSonic.
May 25, 2012 5:36:25 AM

Firelance said:
Well this is my first time building so I just want to make sure I am not overpaying or getting a bad part. I guess I will go with the SeaSonic.

Excellent choice. They make some of the best.
May 25, 2012 6:12:31 AM

Ordering tomorrow and checking one last time.

CPU: i5-3570k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB (2x4GB) Low Profile

Hard Drive: Western Digital RE4 7200 RPM 500GB

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

PSU:
SeaSonic M12II 620W

Also a Noctua NF-P12 case fan and some thermal paste.

Grand total: $619.45 (without GPU)

I really like the build and when I have the money for a 7850 it will be even better. What do you guys think?
May 25, 2012 11:30:32 AM

That's a great build, you will be happy with it.
May 25, 2012 1:55:46 PM

Looks good.
The noctua NF-P12 case fan is a fine one, but I don't think it is really necessary. Why not just try the stock Antec Case fans first?

You can always install different fans later.
May 25, 2012 2:38:46 PM

I've had this case for a while and the back one is failing on me. It is really loud and it vibrates even on low. I will leave the front fans alone but I think I need to change the back.
May 25, 2012 2:42:27 PM

Firelance said:
I've had this case for a while and the back one is failing on me. It is really loud and it vibrates even on low. I will leave the front fans alone but I think I need to change the back.

Good reason.. Do it.
May 25, 2012 4:02:28 PM

I may have overlooked the HDD too fast and just need some quick clarification before I buy.

The RE4 I listed above had good reviews, 5 year warranty, and the price.

I then saw the Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Which is better for gaming, as in just faster?

I don't have many games so I don't know if the 1TB would benefit.
May 25, 2012 4:16:16 PM

Firelance said:
I may have overlooked the HDD too fast and just need some quick clarification before I buy.

The RE4 I listed above had good reviews, 5 year warranty, and the price.

I then saw the Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Which is better for gaming, as in just faster?

I don't have many games so I don't know if the 1TB would benefit.

I am not that excited about hard drives, not when a SSD is so vastly faster.

For the most part, they all perform about the same, or close enough.
For performance, a 1tb drive will be slightly faster.
1) The denser platters allow more data to be transmitted per revolution.
2) Your data will be clustered physically closer, reducing seek times.

I do think the Samsung 1tb drives are worthy of consideration.
Read this on component return rates:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-6/components-ret...

If you don't have many games, perhaps you should stretch to get a SSD instead of a Hard drive.
A SSD will make everything you do feel so much quicker.
I used a 120gb SSD which held the OS, 8-10 games, and 4gb of photos. It took about 80gb of space.
May 25, 2012 5:00:32 PM

I thought about your voice an 120GB will suffice. I decided to go with the Crucial M4 128GB for $125. I also saw a Kingston one, except it was 120GB for the same price. Which brand should I pick?

I also have to mention I took out the Noctua fan in order to. It the SSD.

Once again if someone can reply ASAP as I may be buying this today.

Thank you for all your help guys!
May 25, 2012 5:06:48 PM

Firelance said:
I thought about your voice an 120GB will suffice. I decided to go with the Crucial M4 128GB for $125. I also saw a Kingston one, except it was 120GB for the same price. Which brand should I pick?

I also have to mention I took out the Noctua fan in order to. It the SSD.

Once again if someone can reply ASAP as I may be buying this today.

Thank you for all your help guys!

Actually, 120 and 128gb SSD's are probably exactly the same capacity. Some vendors reserve more space for performance, recovery, and other reasons. The actual space useable to you will be on the order of 110gb.

I think either would be OK. Certainly you would detect no difference in performance.
Go with the brand you feel more comfortable with.

If the rear fan is failing, just take it out. You will probably not miss it.
!