360 pricing is BS!

I'm looking back at when I purchased the XBOX at launch. I remember buying
it
because it was the best bang for your buck! $299 got me a HD included,
ethernet, raw power etc.. but
this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change. If I buy the
$299 version I don't get an HD nor is it going to be the most powerfull
next-gen console, I don't get squat!!
Guess I'll just have to wait for the price drop.

Sorry, the more I think about the pricing the more disappointed I feel.

"carrajo" <carrajo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking back at when I purchased the XBOX at launch. I remember buying
> it
> because it was the best bang for your buck! $299 got me a HD included,
> ethernet, raw power etc.. but
> this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change. If I buy
> the $299 version I don't get an HD nor is it going to be the most
> powerfull next-gen console, I don't get squat!!
> Guess I'll just have to wait for the price drop.

steven

im actually loving the price £279 for the permium version is excellent.

"carrajo" <carrajo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking back at when I purchased the XBOX at launch. I remember buying
> it
> because it was the best bang for your buck! $299 got me a HD included,
> ethernet, raw power etc.. but
> this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change. If I buy
> the $299 version I don't get an HD nor is it going to be the most
> powerfull next-gen console, I don't get squat!!
> Guess I'll just have to wait for the price drop.

carrajo <carrajo@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, the more I think about the pricing the more disappointed I feel.

I think Microsoft should have just come out with 1 SKU, priced at $350
which would have included XBox Live Silver and the HDD.

The individual retailers would then be allowed to create their own bundles
as they did with the XBox.

However, the deluxe comes with just about everything you'd ever need -
except, maybe another controller.

As it stands, Microsoft's two SKUs are too expensive, one requiring too
many accesories.

>this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change.

Actually, a big change would be a 180. Not 360.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> And considering we are talking about there being 2 different prices,
> it is extra nonsensical. He made the damned point we were talking
> about by saying "Why have a lower price when people can play the
> higher price?" That is the exact point we were making.

I am talking about the higher priced model. People are complaining that the
hard drive model is so much, but if they do not like they don't have to buy
it. MS are not a charity case and all electronics are pricey at the start.
I don't think the price of the hard drive model is unreasonable. I cannot
afford it but I will save up until I can afford it. I don't feel the need
to jump on the bandwagon as soon as it is released.
Perhaps I should rephrase my last post and say "If you cannot afford it
thats not their fault. You just have to stump up the cash, get the cheaper
model or wait."

<Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message

>>this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change.
>
> Actually, a big change would be a 180. Not 360.

Good catch Mitch. I hate when people talking about turning their lives
around and doing a "360" not realizing that puts you right back where you
started.

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>> And considering we are talking about there being 2 different prices,
>> it is extra nonsensical. He made the damned point we were talking
>> about by saying "Why have a lower price when people can play the
>> higher price?" That is the exact point we were making.
>
> I am talking about the higher priced model. People are complaining that
> the hard drive model is so much, but if they do not like they don't have
> to buy it. MS are not a charity case and all electronics are pricey at
> the start. I don't think the price of the hard drive model is
> unreasonable. I cannot afford it but I will save up until I can afford
> it. I don't feel the need to jump on the bandwagon as soon as it is
> released.
> Perhaps I should rephrase my last post and say "If you cannot afford it
> thats not their fault. You just have to stump up the cash, get the
> cheaper model or wait."

Every post I have made or responded to has been about the 2-tier system and
not necessarily the price itself. That is the part that I think is moronic
because I want games to utilize the HDD and if 15% of the systems won't have
one, the programmers might not utilize it making it a useless feature as
anything other than a giant memory card for game saves and music <end of
run-on sentence>

$50 for one wireless controller + $40 for a battery = gouging

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> Every post I have made or responded to has been about the 2-tier
> system and not necessarily the price itself. That is the part that I
> think is moronic because I want games to utilize the HDD and if 15%
> of the systems won't have one, the programmers might not utilize it
> making it a useless feature as anything other than a giant memory
> card for game saves and music <end of run-on sentence>

You are assuming developers won't utilise the hard drive. They could make
the games detect either drive or memory card. It can't be that difficult
for them to do.

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>
>> Every post I have made or responded to has been about the 2-tier
>> system and not necessarily the price itself. That is the part that I
>> think is moronic because I want games to utilize the HDD and if 15%
>> of the systems won't have one, the programmers might not utilize it
>> making it a useless feature as anything other than a giant memory
>> card for game saves and music <end of run-on sentence>
>
> You are assuming developers won't utilise the hard drive. They could make
> the games detect either drive or memory card. It can't be that difficult
> for them to do.

I don't know much about programming but I seriously doubt that developers
will make two different performance versions of the same game even if it is
on the same disc itself.

carrajo wrote:
> I'm looking back at when I purchased the XBOX at launch. I remember buying
> it
> because it was the best bang for your buck!

No it wasn't.
PS2 got you a free DVD player, free PS1, and a PS2.
Not to mention all the top quality exclusives.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
>>this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change.
>

> Actually, a big change would be a 180. Not 360.

ROFL

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
>> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>>
>>> Every post I have made or responded to has been about the 2-tier
>>> system and not necessarily the price itself. That is the part that
>>> I think is moronic because I want games to utilize the HDD and if
>>> 15% of the systems won't have one, the programmers might not
>>> utilize it making it a useless feature as anything other than a
>>> giant memory card for game saves and music <end of run-on sentence>
>>
>> You are assuming developers won't utilise the hard drive. They
>> could make the games detect either drive or memory card. It can't
>> be that difficult for them to do.
>
> I don't know much about programming but I seriously doubt that
> developers will make two different performance versions of the same
> game even if it is on the same disc itself.

Why would it need to be two versions? They just need it to detect whether
card or drive is present and play accordingly.

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>> "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

>>> You are assuming developers won't utilise the hard drive. They
>>> could make the games detect either drive or memory card. It can't
>>> be that difficult for them to do.
>>
>> I don't know much about programming but I seriously doubt that
>> developers will make two different performance versions of the same
>> game even if it is on the same disc itself.
>
> Why would it need to be two versions? They just need it to detect whether
> card or drive is present and play accordingly.

Because the game would run completely different (a la PS2 version vs Xbox
version) if it is able to use the HDD and that is a noticeable difference
because I own both and have played NCAA 2006 and GTA and there is no
comparison.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

aether wrote:
> $50 for one wireless controller + $40 for a battery = gouging

If you cannot afford it get cheaper unofficial ones. Nobody is forcing you
to pay those prices. Nobody is forcing you to go wireless. Think yourself
lucky you actually have the choice. You know full well that electronics are
expensive to start off with so why the tears?

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

carrajo wrote:
> I'm looking back at when I purchased the XBOX at launch. I remember
> buying it
> because it was the best bang for your buck! $299 got me a HD included,
> ethernet, raw power etc.. but
> this time around things have changed quite a bit, a 360 change. If I
> buy the $299 version I don't get an HD nor is it going to be the most
> powerfull next-gen console, I don't get squat!!
> Guess I'll just have to wait for the price drop.

You think you are being screwed? In the UK the xbox will retail at £279.
That equates to $500. Would you pay $500 for the xbox360??
If we had fair prices we would be paying at the same exchange rate, but no
we are the ones that get screwed every time. We should be paying £220 if
they exchanged it correctly.
Pricing systems are not fair but we have to suffer them or don't buy, as
simple as that. I cannot afford £279 in November but I don't have the
upgrade disease and do not have to have it on release. The earliest I can
buy one is January or February when I will save and have enough money.

Beck wrote:
> If you cannot afford it get cheaper unofficial ones. Nobody is forcing you
> to pay those prices. Nobody is forcing you to go wireless. Think yourself
> lucky you actually have the choice. You know full well that electronics are
> expensive to start off with so why the tears?

Nearly $100 for one wireless controller. It's a rip-off, Beck.

In point of fact, I don't want a wireless controller. They seem rather
pointless, especially if you consider the battery factor. That doesn't
mean I can't spot price gouging when I see it.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

aether wrote:
> Beck wrote:
>> If you cannot afford it get cheaper unofficial ones. Nobody is
>> forcing you to pay those prices. Nobody is forcing you to go
>> wireless. Think yourself lucky you actually have the choice. You
>> know full well that electronics are expensive to start off with so
>> why the tears?
>

> Nearly $100 for one wireless controller. It's a rip-off, Beck.
>
> In point of fact, I don't want a wireless controller. They seem rather
> pointless, especially if you consider the battery factor. That doesn't
> mean I can't spot price gouging when I see it.

Oh right so we are talking about the price of accessories now? I thought we
were talking about the console bundle itself. Well I haven't seen the UK
prices for the wireless controllers yet, I would imagine they will be about
£40. Yes I do wholeheartedly agree that accessories are always over priced.
Unfortunately, the paying public puts up with it and does not make a stand.
It certainly would not cost $100 to make the wireless controller... probably
with parts and everything included may amount to around $20-30 ??

aether wrote:

> Nearly $100 for one wireless controller. It's a rip-off, Beck.

It costs $50 for a wireless controller.

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> aether wrote:
>
>> Nearly $100 for one wireless controller. It's a rip-off, Beck.
>
> It costs $50 for a wireless controller.

I looked at the other region's cost and it isn't anywhere near $100.

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> Hank the Rapper wrote:
> > aether wrote:
> >
> >> Nearly $100 for one wireless controller. It's a rip-off, Beck.
> >
> > It costs $50 for a wireless controller.
>
> I looked at the other region's cost and it isn't anywhere near $100.

Unless you want to replace the AA batteries two times a week, you're
going to purchase the battery pack. It's rumored to cost $40. Forty
dollars + $50 = nearly $100 for a single wireless controller = price
gouging

aether wrote:

> Unless you want to replace the AA batteries two times a week, you're
> going to purchase the battery pack. It's rumored to cost $40. Forty
> dollars + $50 = nearly $100 for a single wireless controller = price
> gouging

Then buy the wired. You don't have to have wireless. Has it ever been stated
how long batteries will last? I doubt you'll have to replace AA batteries
twice a week.

The higher price is for an introductory time ... especially with the TV
remote in it. The bundles will come, thus the $299 price point.
Personally, I got the extra $100. Especially when it gets me all the
excessories for 1/2 off, instant gratification on my HDTV, a November
'x-mas' gift (as I will not wait), among others. All this whining ...
if you got $300 ... you got $400. It's not like it's November
tomorrow, M-soft is gonna sell a ton ...

Flame on ... :eek:

--
Ace Frehley

Beck <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:

> I am talking about the higher priced model. People are complaining that the
> hard drive model is so much, but if they do not like they don't have to buy
> it. MS are not a charity case and all electronics are pricey at the start.
> I don't think the price of the hard drive model is unreasonable. I cannot
> afford it but I will save up until I can afford it. I don't feel the need
> to jump on the bandwagon as soon as it is released.

$100 for a 20GB removable laptop drive is ludicrious. You can get a USB
enclosure for laptop drives for $15, and a 30GB laptop drive for $60 - or
a *80GB* drive for $80.
..
Making the drive removable does add to the cost, as does using a small
laptop drive, but come on here. No one's explained to me the benefit of
making the HDD removeable though. Will I have the ability to hook up more
than one HDD to my system? If not, how am I supposed to copy my data to a
friend's HDD, or even, play a sports game at my friend's house with my
team on my drive, and his team on his drive?

Second, by pricing the HDD at $100, there's absolutely ZERO incentive to
buy the cheaper core unit. If you decide to buy the core unit and the
HDD, you're already spending $400, so you might as well just buy the high
end kit in the first place. Even if you decide you don't want the HDD,
you'll have to then buy a memory card - $40. So you're already at $340
for the "low end". If you buy one more accessory - such as the remote
control, or the HDTV cable kit, you're now up to $380. For $20 more,
you'll get the HDD, and an upgrade to the wireless controller, a headset,
the HD cable set (or the remote) and a faceplate - roughly a $180 value!

> Perhaps I should rephrase my last post and say "If you cannot afford it
> thats not their fault. You just have to stump up the cash, get the cheaper
> model or wait."

Getting the cheaper model is not an option. If you do that, you will
almost assuredly spend more money than if you just bought the $400 kit in
the first place. The cheaper SKU only has one purpose - bragging rights.
It's a marketing sham.