D70 DSC_#### to _DSC####

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 12, 2005 6:07:46 PM

Hi,

Without (as far as I know) changing any settings, my D70 now insists
on naming my files _DSC####. The last batch I took used DSC_####. The
number sequence was not disrupted, and is around 0918. I couldn't see
anything in the manual about this, and can't find any way to set this
in the menu. I am using the new D70 firmware (uploaded a month ago
with no problems). Any suggestions on how to get back to the original
naming scheme?

TIA
Duncan

More about : d70 dsc dsc

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:07:47 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:07:46 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Duncan Chesley
<BioColor@aol.com> wrote:

>Without (as far as I know) changing any settings, my D70 now insists
>on naming my files _DSC####. The last batch I took used DSC_####. The
>number sequence was not disrupted, and is around 0918. I couldn't see
>anything in the manual about this, and can't find any way to set this
>in the menu. I am using the new D70 firmware (uploaded a month ago
>with no problems). Any suggestions on how to get back to the original
>naming scheme?

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Why do my D70 files names begin "_DSC0001.jpg"
Question
Why do some of the files names from my D70 begin with an "_"
underscore?
Answer
Images recorded in the "Optimize image" "Color Mode II (Adobe
RGB)" setting have names that begin with a "_" underscore character,
for example: "DSC0001.JPG".

This is part of the new EXIF 2.2.1 standard, which enables imaging
programs to recognize images taken in the Adobe 1998 color space
without the need for an embedded profile. At present only Adobe
Photoshop CS supports this new EXIF standard. This information is
mentioned on page 41 of the D70 User Manual.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:07:48 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:07:46 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Duncan Chesley
> <BioColor@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>Without (as far as I know) changing any settings, my D70 now insists
>>on naming my files _DSC####. The last batch I took used DSC_####. The
>>number sequence was not disrupted, and is around 0918. I couldn't see
>>anything in the manual about this, and can't find any way to set this
>>in the menu. I am using the new D70 firmware (uploaded a month ago
>>with no problems). Any suggestions on how to get back to the original
>>naming scheme?
>

> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>
> Why do my D70 files names begin "_DSC0001.jpg"
> Question
> Why do some of the files names from my D70 begin with an "_"
> underscore?
> Answer
> Images recorded in the "Optimize image" "Color Mode II (Adobe
> RGB)" setting have names that begin with a "_" underscore character,
> for example: "DSC0001.JPG".
>
> This is part of the new EXIF 2.2.1 standard, which enables imaging
> programs to recognize images taken in the Adobe 1998 color space
> without the need for an embedded profile. At present only Adobe
> Photoshop CS supports this new EXIF standard. This information is
> mentioned on page 41 of the D70 User Manual.

Not owning a D70, what would happen with this scheme if I renamed
ordinary jpgs to start with an '_'?
JAB

> http://EdwardGRuf.com
July 12, 2005 6:13:26 PM

Duncan Chesley <BioColor@aol.com> writes:

> Without (as far as I know) changing any settings, my D70 now insists
> on naming my files _DSC####. The last batch I took used DSC_####. The
> number sequence was not disrupted, and is around 0918. I couldn't see
> anything in the manual about this, and can't find any way to set this
> in the menu. I am using the new D70 firmware (uploaded a month ago
> with no problems). Any suggestions on how to get back to the original
> naming scheme?

The new EXIF standard requires they do this for images recorded
something other than sRGB color space. It's an utterly imbecilic
idea, and will make everybody's life considerably messier, and cause a
lot of mistakes. Write Nikon and complain! There's no reason they
have to follow an imbecilic standard.
July 12, 2005 7:42:28 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:07:46 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Duncan Chesley
> <BioColor@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>Without (as far as I know) changing any settings, my D70 now insists
>>on naming my files _DSC####. The last batch I took used DSC_####. The
>>number sequence was not disrupted, and is around 0918. I couldn't see
>>anything in the manual about this, and can't find any way to set this
>>in the menu. I am using the new D70 firmware (uploaded a month ago
>>with no problems). Any suggestions on how to get back to the original
>>naming scheme?
>

> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>
> Why do my D70 files names begin "_DSC0001.jpg"
> Question
> Why do some of the files names from my D70 begin with an "_"
> underscore?
> Answer
> Images recorded in the "Optimize image" "Color Mode II (Adobe
> RGB)" setting have names that begin with a "_" underscore character,
> for example: "DSC0001.JPG".<-------*
>
> This is part of the new EXIF 2.2.1 standard, which enables imaging
> programs to recognize images taken in the Adobe 1998 color space
> without the need for an embedded profile. At present only Adobe
> Photoshop CS supports this new EXIF standard. This information is
> mentioned on page 41 of the D70 User Manual.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com
Ed,
Am I reading this wrong? Shouldn't it read "_DSC0001.JPG" in the Answer
part * above?
Paul
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:29:20 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:42:28 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Paul Schilter
<paulschilter@nospamcomcast.net> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:

>> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>
>> Why do my D70 files names begin "_DSC0001.jpg"
>> Question
>> Why do some of the files names from my D70 begin with an "_"
>> underscore?
>> Answer
>> Images recorded in the "Optimize image" "Color Mode II (Adobe
>> RGB)" setting have names that begin with a "_" underscore character,
>> for example: "DSC0001.JPG".<-------*
>>
>> This is part of the new EXIF 2.2.1 standard, which enables imaging
>> programs to recognize images taken in the Adobe 1998 color space
>> without the need for an embedded profile. At present only Adobe
>> Photoshop CS supports this new EXIF standard. This information is
>> mentioned on page 41 of the D70 User Manual.

>Ed,
> Am I reading this wrong? Shouldn't it read "_DSC0001.JPG" in the Answer
>part * above?

You're reading it exactly as it was copied and pasted from the referenced
URL. Yes, it would appear Nikon has it wrong in their example name.

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
July 13, 2005 6:46:05 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:44:31 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/e...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
>
> Why do my D70 files names begin "_DSC0001.jpg"
> Question
> Why do some of the files names from my D70 begin with an "_"
>underscore?
> Answer
> Images recorded in the "Optimize image" "Color Mode II (Adobe
>RGB)" setting have names that begin with a "_" underscore character,
>for example: "DSC0001.JPG".
>
>This is part of the new EXIF 2.2.1 standard, which enables imaging
>programs to recognize images taken in the Adobe 1998 color space
>without the need for an embedded profile. At present only Adobe
>Photoshop CS supports this new EXIF standard. This information is
>mentioned on page 41 of the D70 User Manual.
>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
>http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed:

Thanks very much.

Your help is appreciated.

Duncan
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:00:40 PM

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote in message
> Duncan Chesley <BioColor@aol.com> writes:
>
>> Without (as far as I know) changing any settings, my D70 now insists
>> on naming my files _DSC####. The last batch I took used DSC_####. The
>> number sequence was not disrupted, and is around 0918. I couldn't see
>> anything in the manual about this, and can't find any way to set this
>> in the menu. I am using the new D70 firmware (uploaded a month ago
>> with no problems). Any suggestions on how to get back to the original
>> naming scheme?
>
> The new EXIF standard requires they do this for images recorded
> something other than sRGB color space. It's an utterly imbecilic
> idea, and will make everybody's life considerably messier, and cause a
> lot of mistakes. Write Nikon and complain! There's no reason they
> have to follow an imbecilic standard.
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:D d-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/&gt;

But then there would be thousands of posts by George Preddy crowing about
how Nikon dropped support for a standard.

Tom
!