Processor Decision

Hey all,

So I'm looking to replace my Inspiron 531 (AMD Athalon 64 x2 5000+). Was bought for me in college and I'm impressed to say it still does ok. However, I am ready for an upgrade and some more power without breaking the bank. Current essential components are

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

I'm gonna keep the current graphics card (PNY GTS 250), case, and PUS (650W upgrade from a couple years ago) for now. At least until Christmas time where I might get lucky :D I will be using the computer for MMOs (WoW, GW2, etc.) as well as FRAPs recording and editing. My heaviest load would probably be something like MMO, FRAPs, and iTunes +/- chrome.

Anyhow my dilemma involves which processor to go for. The cheaper option is the i3-2100. Newegg is currently offering a promo code that brings it all the way down to $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

I've also been eyeing the Ivy Bridge line, specifically the i5-3450, which runs about $195.

Looking at the gaming hierarchy chart the processors are only 1 tier apart which I know is negligible. My question is will the i3 be outdated significantly sooner than the i5 (would love to have this rig last 5 years as well) and will I ever put the processor under enough load to miss the extra two cores from the i5? Any info or other processor suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply
More about processor decision
  1. Since you are looking at a non-overclockable (non-K) CPU, you could save ~$30 by using an h77-based motherboard instead.

As for whether or not the extra cores on i5 are going to be worth it, this depends on what software you use, how much multi-tasking you usually do and how the stuff you use might evolve over the next couple of years. I often do a fair bit of multitasking so in my case, i5 would be a safe bet.

If you decide to go i3, you might want to consider the recently launched Ivy Bridge i3-32xx.
  2. I don't know if you would budge on that Intel stuff but for this price point AMD would be best. Here you get 4 cores at 3.6 ghz for a very reasonable price ($110)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001028%20600213781&IsNodeId=1&name=Socket%20AM3%2b

If you like ASRock pair with something like this ($85+$5 shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280
  3. At the moment, my heaviest multitasking will probably involve running an MMO, FRAPS, iTunes, and google chrome with a few tabs open.

Yeah I have considered the AMD FX4100 but its actually a tier below the i3 in gaming performance, even with more clock speed and cores. Since gaming is my top priority I want to maximize performance and frame rate while multitasking as stated.
  4. Don't base your decisions off of just one chart. I can guarantee you will use more than 2 cores while playing a game and recording. I would look up more information. The FX4100 is definitely the best choice for gaming at your price point.
  5. Well, if you are going to be gaming with FRAPS running, i5 would make a lot more sense than i3 since you are going to need the extra CPU power to capture and encode video.
  6. i wouldn't recommend an amd chip at any price point.
  7. daswilhelm said:
    i wouldn't recommend an amd chip at any price point.

And children this is what we call an Intel fanboy ^^^
  8. troll all you want i still cant at this time.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product