quicktime & real player running at startup

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Quicktime
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
January 9, 2005 7:54:49 PM

Here's what I want to do:
I want to get Quicktime and RealPlayer to not start at all until I want them
to. I don't want them to start at bootup and sit there all the time.

I know this is a problem with these players and I've seen lots of complaints
on the net about it, but I haven't seen any fixes. I don't want to
uninstall them because I do use them sometimes.

Ideas?
kp

More about : quicktime real player running startup

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:54:50 PM

Open the programs.
Carefully look through the options.
Uncheck the items that load them at boot.
Most likely the people that you saw complaining did not look for this
relatively simple solution.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message
news:o qaHOXp9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Here's what I want to do:
> I want to get Quicktime and RealPlayer to not start at all until I want
> them to. I don't want them to start at bootup and sit there all the time.
>
> I know this is a problem with these players and I've seen lots of
> complaints on the net about it, but I haven't seen any fixes. I don't
> want to uninstall them because I do use them sometimes.
>
> Ideas?
> kp

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:06:49 PM

realplay.exe
[[System Tray icon for RealPlayer. If you subsequently start RealPlayer
manually it adds itself back to the start-up list. You can stop this from
happening by right-clicking on the tray icon and disabling SmartCenter via
Preferences]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:o qaHOXp9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
kp <campmhaha@go.com> hunted and pecked:
> Here's what I want to do:
> I want to get Quicktime and RealPlayer to not start at all until I
> want them to. I don't want them to start at bootup and sit there all
> the time.
>
> I know this is a problem with these players and I've seen lots of
> complaints on the net about it, but I haven't seen any fixes. I
> don't want to uninstall them because I do use them sometimes.
>
> Ideas?
> kp
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:02:24 AM

Have a look at what starts via msconfig -

Go to start menu, click run, type msconfig and look at the startup menu.
You should be able to uncheck the items that refer to Realplayer and
QuickTime starting up...
You will need to reboot to make sure they are not starting up...

Cheers

"kp" <campmhaha@go.com> wrote in message
news:o qaHOXp9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Here's what I want to do:
> I want to get Quicktime and RealPlayer to not start at all until I want
> them to. I don't want them to start at bootup and sit there all the time.
>
> I know this is a problem with these players and I've seen lots of
> complaints on the net about it, but I haven't seen any fixes. I don't
> want to uninstall them because I do use them sometimes.
>
> Ideas?
> kp

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:41:03 AM

I've tried all these solutions in the past. I've disabled them with msconfig
and with the program's preferences. But they persist in reloading next time
I boot up.

thanks for the suggestions anyway.
kp

> realplay.exe
> [[System Tray icon for RealPlayer. If you subsequently start RealPlayer
> manually it adds itself back to the start-up list. You can stop this from
> happening by right-clicking on the tray icon and disabling SmartCenter via
> Preferences]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:o qaHOXp9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> kp <campmhaha@go.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Here's what I want to do:
>> I want to get Quicktime and RealPlayer to not start at all until I
>> want them to. I don't want them to start at bootup and sit there all
>> the time.
>>
>> I know this is a problem with these players and I've seen lots of
>> complaints on the net about it, but I haven't seen any fixes. I
>> don't want to uninstall them because I do use them sometimes.
>>
>> Ideas?
>> kp

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:28:28 PM

As you have discovered, some programs recreate the start-up in MSCONFIG if
you disable there.
That is another reason why MSCONFIG is not suitable as a permanent fix.

Go through the programs settings again to attempt to locate what you may
have missed.

If the programs are still starting after disable them in the program, you
are missing something.
Do you have two versions installed and only disabled the start-up in one and
not the other?

--

news:o dPJIox9EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I've tried all these solutions in the past. I've disabled them with
> msconfig and with the program's preferences. But they persist in reloading
> next time I boot up.
>
> thanks for the suggestions anyway.
> kp
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:27:36 PM

KP
I use Start-up CLp and it allows you to choose what starts, after 12
months I have had no problems.

news:o VieVq09EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!