Status
Not open for further replies.

raj_6c1

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hi,

I have a cooler master storm enforcer cabinet, and a seasonic platinum 1000watts psu, its bottom mounted...and I installed it in such a way that the fan faces down, there is provision for airflow and a mesh...

but it blew up after like 15 minutes, the first day itself, so now I get a replacement and same thing happened again!

Is it because of the fan alignment ? or the shipping damage I wonder, coz there was a dent on the back side mesh, both times...(flipkart.com), I don't want to put the fan facing towards the board, coz the graphics card gives out lot of heat, which I don't want to get into the psu, or the psu to get more hot air inside the cabinet ... I am not sure if the psu air flows inside or outside from the fan...

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/chassis/enforcer/

http://www.seasonicusa.com/Platinum_Series.htm

asus p8z77-v premium board,

I only connected, seagate 1tb raid1, a blu ray writer , and 2 fans , 8gb ddr3 ram, i7-3770k , geforce 8800gt. didn't even overclock it....and ofcourse mouse/keyboard and an external hard-drive 1tb..

I have an old zebronics psu 600 watts, its running fine on that , ofcourse I didn't mount it on the cabinet , just connected it , its outside the cabinet ,so there is plenty of airflow...

Is anyone facing such problems with PSUs ? please give me your input...

Solution
Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. My first thought is that you purchased from a very unreputable seller. Dents? Re-wired (apparently) with 2-wire cable? On both Seasonics? Probably a seller who collects defective components and "fixes" them for resale. In all honesty, I have to admit I know little about Flipkart, but they appear to be a local Indian version of Amazon. But if your example is any indication, I'd stay away. Can you shop via Amazon.com in India?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've never heard of that happening unless the PSU was defective. But, two? Is yours the one with the hybrid/normal fan switch? The voltage on that model I believe self-selects from 100V to 240V AC. Fan placement shoudn't be an issue, as long as the fan is not blocked. Can you describe what you mean by 'blowing up'?

raj_6c1

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for your reply,

Yes it has a hybrid/normal switch for switching fan speed, it reduces fan speed when there is less usage, and I put it in normal, I am from India and we have 240v power supply, , the selection of voltage is automatic as it says in the website...

About 20 min after I turned it on, It gave a big sound and stopped, 2nd time, It gave the sound twice, like a capacitor discharge sound , like the one u get when there is a short circut? except loud..

There is enough space for airflow...even below the psu there is a gap bw it and the cabinet and bw the cabinet and the floor,

and the psu fit well, I don't want to test it again, but if I can cancel my order, do u have a psu recommendation? atleast 1000w

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
How long has your old zebronics psu been able to run the system? No issues with it? Can you give me a model number of the zebronics psu?

How is the voltage in your area? Stable? It sounds like voltage spikes or surges may be the problem. Odd the zebronics psu isn't affected though.

The Seasonic line is one of the best. The model you have is top of the line. If you want to try another make however, I'd read up on what Jony Guru has to say. He's the 'go to' guy for PSU knowledge.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

raj_6c1

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
My system is new, Just bought it a month back, and the first day itself the psu blew up, so I gave it to my retailer and connected my old psu zeb-600 , have been using it for like 4-5 yrs now...

http://www.zebronics.com/products/platinum-series/zeb600w

so I am running my computer on this for a month or less , but its not mounted onto the cabinet, I put it outside and just connected the wires,

just 2 days ago , I got the replacement unit, I bought it home and about 40 mins, it blew up again,

The voltages are usually stable , but I connected it through a ups unit which has voltage regulation the second time, the first time , I connected it to the mains for hardly 20 mins...

I have an inverter 1k watt, and a 650 watt ups to which the pc was connected the 2nd time, if there was an overload the inverter would indicate it and the ups too, but both were silent... The max amount the pc would take at present is about 550 watts..

I researched, looked at the benchmarks and this psu seemed best, it is supposed to withstand voltage fluctuations , temperatures and overloads too,

the wire provided, the one which connects to the outlet doesn't have a grounding pin, so the second time, I used a 3 pin plug , but still it blew up

Thanks for replying..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No ground conductor in the power cable feeding the PSU?! I didn't know Seasonic would sell something like that. Your electrical code in India must be far more lax than here in the US. Are your 240V wall receptacles a 3-slot grounded outlet? What kind of power cable is on the zebronics? When you get your new PSU, be sure it comes with a grounded supply cable.

It's strange the zebronics is not affected. And it's definetly not a 'real' 600W PSU with that tiny 27A +12V rail. Still, that doesn't solve your problem I guess. I've always prefered Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX for my high-end PSUs. I'm using a PC Power and Cooling unit at the moment in a build I finished for someone. I had read good things about them as well. But the missing ground wire on your unit is something I would think about. Unless you run a seperate wire from your case to the grounded wall receptacle, your system's case ground is 'floating'. Not a good situation.

raj_6c1

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
no I connected it with a 3 pin plug(cable) the second time, we have 3 pin outlets , zebronics has a 3 pin wire, even then it blew up...

I was surprised to see a 2 pin connector too... we don't use 2 pin plugs for high voltage devices...

The thing is there is no reseller of seasonic in India, I got it online on flipkart.com, and there were dents on the back of the psu both times,... that is why I think its better to buy from a reseller than online , so I am thinking corsair or antec or cooler master coz they have resellers and service centers too prob ... cm doesn't have good ratings...

so it could be shipping damage...
or insufficient airflow
if there is loose connection in the wires, coz its full modular, it still has plugs and the pins wont fit on the psu if the wrong cable
is used

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. My first thought is that you purchased from a very unreputable seller. Dents? Re-wired (apparently) with 2-wire cable? On both Seasonics? Probably a seller who collects defective components and "fixes" them for resale. In all honesty, I have to admit I know little about Flipkart, but they appear to be a local Indian version of Amazon. But if your example is any indication, I'd stay away. Can you shop via Amazon.com in India?

Solution

raj_6c1

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
It says on the packing "imported by ...." and that company is not listed in the seasonic list ...and I saw on youtube, the cable has 3 pin connector

I guess you are right,...

raj_6c1

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I got a refund, they got it from someone who imported this product , but the importer was not on the list of seasonic approved...

Thx a lot for taking the time...

goodday...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You are very welcome. And I'm glad you have returned it. It sounded like trouble waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.