Your question

Please help, info inside

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 15, 2012 2:08:55 AM

Last week my computer shut off completely and wouldn't start back up. Got a new power supply as the old one was bad and the computer started up fine but now I get nothing on my display.

My graphics card is still good I believe but just in case it went bad I tried another card I knew worked and still no display. I also have attempted to plug directly into the motherboard for display and I still get nothing even though my monitor works great and all the cards I've tried should work.

I believe I've plugged everything in correctly to the motherboard with the new power supply as everything lights up and all drives/fans kick on and I made sure to replace all the cords that were connected with the old one. However, one of the plug ins I didn't have a connection for on the new power supply but I'm pretty sure it was useless

motherboard:

the connection I wasn't able to connect with the new power supply is the aqua colored 4hole square connection in the top mid-left with ATXI 12v written above it.

Any help would be great, I'm really stumped at this point after trying multiple cards. If it helps the old power supply was 450w which was a little under what it should have been but it worked fine for over a year with no overheating so I never upgraded until it crapped out recently. New power supply is 500w 12v which is just about right for my power usage if not more.

system: windows 7 64bit, graphics: ati radeon 6850, motherboard: asus m4a785-m, power supply: lepa 500w 12v.

More about : info inside

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 2:22:58 AM

Can't see pic
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 2:29:59 AM

pyramidmirrors said:
the connection I wasn't able to connect with the new power supply is the aqua colored 4hole square connection in the top mid-left with ATXI 12v written above it.

CPU power, you need to connect it

Either side works
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 2:32:10 AM

Need more system specs
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:40:28 AM

delluser1 said:
CPU power, you need to connect it
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg
Either side works
thanks for the response.

here is the pic i meant to put in the original title

and those are indeed the connectors you've linked to dell. i'm guessing without the cpu plugged in that's definitely why i' m not getting a display or anything, is that possible?
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:42:12 AM

knightdog56 said:
Need more system specs
if you need more specific information my pc could i ask what you are pertaining to?

m
l
September 15, 2012 7:46:20 AM

2786481,1,1405037 said:
Last week my computer shut off completely and wouldn't start back up. Got a new power supply as the old one was bad and the computer started up fine but now I get nothing on my display.

My graphics card is still good I believe but just in case......

Turns out we have the same motherboard... My money is on the monitor plug with all the little pins in it, one of them is probably bent or broken off..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 7:50:39 AM

I think you could be trying the wrong connector. I had the same problem and managed to put a totally wrong plug into that, ( really had to fiddle to get it in, how stupid can you be :whistle:  ) I was lucky i think i didn't mess everything up doing that.

It looks like this ; http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://ikbensnel.nl/...

and it is needed to power your system.
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:51:57 AM

awww i just thought of another idea... if that does not work then Unplug your computer and remove the little battery inside, Then press the power button with it still unplugged about 10 times(to drain the power out of the board). Then re-insert the battery and plug in your computer. This should reset your Motherboard to its factory defaults.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 7:53:03 AM

pyramidmirrors said:
thanks for the response.

here is the pic i meant to put in the original title http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/upload/product_images/afc119ca560f5ff075caa9d05739d88c63961.jpg

and those are indeed the connectors you've linked to dell. i'm guessing without the cpu plugged in that's definitely why i' m not getting a display or anything, is that possible?

Geesh 3:40 in the AM , wake up to hit the head, can't go back to sleep, perfect timing ???
No, without cpu power connected, you won't get a display
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:04:27 AM

delluser1 said:
Geesh 3:40 in the AM , wake up to hit the head, can't go back to sleep, perfect timing ???
No, without cpu power connected, you won't get a display
thank you for the speedy response and the confirmation.

i'll be going to the store to buy a new connector, is that plug a molex 4pin p4? i have pin slots to connect to my power supply but i want to make sure.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 87 V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 8:17:12 AM

You need the Four Pin Connector to be connected...... :) 
That's your mistake.
Firstly connect it to the 12V ATX connector from the PSU to the Mobo.
It is a MUST!!!
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 8:18:05 AM

pyramidmirrors said:
thank you for the speedy response and the confirmation..
Just dumb luck, but you're welcome

pyramidmirrors said:

i'll be going to the store to buy a new connector, is that plug a molex 4pin p4? i have pin slots to connect to my power supply but i want to make sure.

Don't understand why you would need to buy a new connector, your power supply should have the 4+4 shown in the picture or at least a single ATX12v 4 pin connector
Is the cable there but too short ? You would need an ATX/EPS extension
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:20:03 AM

Quote:
You need the Four Pin Connector to be connected...... :) 
That's your mistake.
Firstly connect it to the 12V ATX connector from the PSU to the Mobo.
It is a MUST!!!
yeah for some reason my new power supply didn't come with the connection for it so i'll go out tomorrow and buy a p4 with a 4pin connector and see if it works.

and defiant i wanted to know how i could reset my bios but i can't find out where my mb battery is.
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:31:42 AM

Under the RAM and to the Right of where you would plug in your Graphics card.
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:31:47 AM

delluser1 said:
Just dumb luck, but you're welcome

Don't understand why you would need to buy a new connector, your power supply should have the 4+4 shown in the picture or at least a single ATX12v 4 pin connector
Is the cable there but too short ? You would need an ATX/EPS extension
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the 4+4 is what it came with, how do i fit that in the p4?
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:36:18 AM

just a heads up, Some of the newer power supply's have a 8 pin connector to the motherboard, but they will slide apart into 2 - 4 pin connectors. So it will work on newer motherboards and older ones like ours.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 8:43:38 AM

pyramidmirrors said:
http://www.ecomastertek.com/images/psu_lepa_n_cable.jpg the 4+4 is what it came with, how do i fit that in the p4?

It splits into two seperate halves ( like in the photo ) , you connect 1 side and leave the other hang
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 8:54:12 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section CPU & Components by Mousemonkey
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 8:54:31 AM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Help with connection
    m
    l
    a c 243 ) Power supply
    a b V Motherboard
    September 15, 2012 8:59:14 AM

That made things a little confusing
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    a b V Motherboard
    September 15, 2012 9:15:01 AM

delluser1 said:
    That made things a little confusing

The OP posted the exact same thread in three forums. :pfff: 
    m
    l
    a c 243 ) Power supply
    a b V Motherboard
    September 15, 2012 9:16:21 AM

Not uncommon ;) 
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    a b V Motherboard
    September 15, 2012 9:29:16 AM

delluser1 said:
    Not uncommon ;) 

No, still darned annoying though.
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    a b V Motherboard
    September 15, 2012 11:22:08 AM

Defiant2012 said:
    just a heads up, Some of the newer power supply's have a 8 pin connector to the motherboard, but they will slide apart into 2 - 4 pin connectors. So it will work on newer motherboards and older ones like ours.

LoL, found that out 5 minutes ago myself ; bought a new psu 2 days ago, didn't install it yet and was looking now for the cpu connector and could only find a 8 pin.

Decided to pull and there you go ; two 4 pins :lol: 

Sorry for my wrong link btw, that wasn't the right connector i showed. That was in fact the connector i managed to get in to the cpu connector . . . :pfff:  :pt1cable: 
    m
    l
    a c 243 ) Power supply
    a b V Motherboard
    September 15, 2012 11:51:17 AM

Mousemonkey said:
    No, still darned annoying though.

I agree, much more fun when it's done in the same forum :o 
    m
    l
    !