Which CPU to improve FPS? (current: Athlon64 3500+)

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I'm currently trying to find the best (cheapest) way to improve framerates on my system, as they are very low in my native (large) resolution of 19200x1200.

My system: A8N-SLI, 2x 7800GT, 2GB RAM, A64 3500+

Some people have been recommending a faster CPU (Athlon64 X2 4400+), but I always thought that the fact that they are dual processors doesn't matter too much with present games, and clock rates are pretty much the same (comparing the 4400+ with my 3500+). The FX would certainly make a difference, but is out of my price range...

Does anyone have an idea how I could get my framerates up noticeable, with only a small investment?

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I can't really consider overclocking, as I've built my system with low noise in mind, so I replaced all fans with silent Zalman ones. I can increase fanspeeds, but probably won't be able to overclock to those glowing levels you had in mind, without getting serious heat problems...

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Personally, I would think more about upgrading your GPU rather than your CPU. Most games are more limited on the graphics side of the equation. Selling your 7800GT and using that money to get a 7900 would help more (for now) than getting a slightly faster CPU.

Just my two cents.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If you're looking for faster FPS on current gaming (not future) then ignore anyone who is recommending a dual core CPU. A 3800 dual core will NOT beat a 3500 single core on current games - period. Yes, it might well future proof you, but at 3800 speeds it certainly won't anyway - by the tie the games come out that take advantage of dual core, a 3800 will be like a Celeron anyway. Even a 4400 won't make much difference over what you have for today's games.

For now, and only looking at now, you'd be better of with a 4000+ and a 7900GTX. Selling your old CPU and 2 graphics cards might mean the csot to upgrade wouldn't be too high.

The dual core hype is compelling. I've certainly bought into it and it will be fantastic given time. But for the games you mention, it is just pointless.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
How big is your monitor? At higher resolutions an SLI would be the solution. That is what is SLI for to run games at high res with good performance. As for the upgrade get 7800GT and X2 4400. That high resolution is the one killing your frame rates.

On the other hand, with your current rig. If you use a 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitor, I have no doubt that it will be hitting over 60fps on BF2 at high quality settings.

linux_0

Splendid
I'm currently trying to find the best (cheapest) way to improve framerates on my system, as they are very low in my native (large) resolution of 19200x1200.

Some people have been recommending a faster CPU (Athlon64 X2 4400+), but I always thought that the fact that they are dual processors doesn't matter too much with present games, and clock rates are pretty much the same (comparing the 4400+ with my 3500+). The FX would certainly make a difference, but is out of my price range...

Does anyone have an idea how I could get my framerates up noticeable, with only a small investment?

What kind of monitor do you have?

Unless you have a really nice monitor 1900x1200 will probably give you a big headache.

Upgrading to 7900GTs or GTXs would help your system run at high-res better, probably more so than a new CPU would.

Also a complete re-install from scratch should help improve performance as well.

You can also turn off unnecessary services for better performance.

If you can afford to wait a few weeks 939 prices should drop after the AM2 launch in 3 days.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Maybe you should consider in investing in a physics card? I know it wont help in all games, but for future games, it would greately improve your performance. 8O 8O 8O

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If I were in that situation I I would find the next res lower that keeps the same aspect ratio. Something like 1280x768 or something similar. Run your games @ this red with 4xAA and the highest AF possible and you will hardly be able to tell the diff. I find that lots of games have a real problem running well once you get past 1600X1200 no matter what hardware you have. You could also try o/cing that chip as far as it will go on stock volts as your temps shouldnt really get high until you get above 2.6ghz.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks for all the info, boys! Gives me lots of things to consider.
It is, of course, only that big screen that's causing the problems (a Dell 24" WS), and most games already i'm running not at the native resolution (1920x1200) but the next lower one. It doesn't have a huge impact (although some) on frame rates, but it does look noticeably fuzzier...
Well that's what happens when a mate tells you "you gotta have that screen, great price and all!", well it IS a good screen, and TV and DVDs on it are great, but my games, my GAMES!

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Getting a headache from my monitor? What, a REAL, aspirin headache, or a proverbial one?

What kind of monitor do you have?

Unless you have a really nice monitor 1900x1200 will probably give you a big headache.

Upgrading to 7900GTs or GTXs would help your system run at high-res better, probably more so than a new CPU would.

Also a complete re-install from scratch should help improve performance as well.

You can also turn off unnecessary services for better performance.

If you can afford to wait a few weeks 939 prices should drop after the AM2 launch in 3 days.

endyen

Splendid
First off, up the fan speed, and see if an OC will make the difference.
I suspect that your problem stems from the number of icons you have in your tray. Kill off every prog you dont absolutely need.
If you are using norton, get rid of it. Your mobo came with pc-cillin, which is good enough. IM is probably your biggest pig, so if you aint IMing in a game, loose it while you play.
If you absolutely have to keep IM, norton, and all your tray icons, you will have to get a dual core.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
A X2 4400+ will offer the same or slightly better performance than your 3500+ but definitely nothing noticeable. You're better off selling the 7800GT's and getting a 7900GTX or X1900XT(X). But if you do decide to upgrade the CPU you should seriously consider dual core since in a very short while it will make a difference in games and you'll regret it if you invest again in single core at this point in time.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I've got a brand new windows XP installation. Overclocking not really an option since I built my system to make it as quiet as possible, so thermically I'm operating at the limit already.
Otherwise, I'm running minimum background apps, no Norton, no IM.

First off, up the fan speed, and see if an OC will make the difference.
I suspect that your problem stems from the number of icons you have in your tray. Kill off every prog you dont absolutely need.
If you are using norton, get rid of it. Your mobo came with pc-cillin, which is good enough. IM is probably your biggest pig, so if you aint IMing in a game, loose it while you play.
If you absolutely have to keep IM, norton, and all your tray icons, you will have to get a dual core.

I don't know of any "cheap" ways to improve performance in any machine. Keeping to the question in mind, an fx-53, fx-55, or an fx-57 will dramatically increase the performance of your machine. There's nothing thats going to improve anything over raw processor speed.

"Selling" your video cards and only "moving up" a single notch won't help too much of anything. In a year and a half to two years, yes, I would swap out my cards, keeping an eye on how the technology changes.

If you can hold out, the fx-60 dual core should drop quite a bit, IMO, by this time next year.

There's nothing wrong with what you have now. Don't let somebody tell you otherwise.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Sound advice. However, there is something "wrong" with my setup in so far as my native screen resolution forces all current games down on their knees, not even to mention the ones that will come out in a few months time!

I don't know of any "cheap" ways to improve performance in any machine. Keeping to the question in mind, an fx-53, fx-55, or an fx-57 will dramatically increase the performance of your machine. There's nothing thats going to improve anything over raw processor speed.

"Selling" your video cards and only "moving up" a single notch won't help too much of anything. In a year and a half to two years, yes, I would swap out my cards, keeping an eye on how the technology changes.

If you can hold out, the fx-60 dual core should drop quite a bit, IMO, by this time next year.

There's nothing wrong with what you have now. Don't let somebody tell you otherwise.

Just because you have two good video cards, doesn't mean you can run everything at the highest possible settings.

Try turning back the max settings and find a happy medium at which the games can be played. Antialiasing at 2x instaed of 4x etc. There's alot of settings to futz with.

Change your refresh also.

I understand that the lcd monitors expect you to run at top end, so don't change the recomended resolution of that til last, if you will have to at all.

As you make adjustments, you'll notice very little, or no improvements between medium and high settings in most cases. Keep plugging at it.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
This is, of course, what I've been doing. I have to make do somehow, don't I... But I haven't got over the fact yet that just a short while ago, in the times of my 1280x1024 screen, I was able to play everything with ONE graphics card at max settings, and now I have to severely compromise. My ego has been dented! My joy and pride besmirched!

Just because you have two good video cards, doesn't mean you can run everything at the highest possible settings.

Try turning back the max settings and find a happy medium at which the games can be played. Antialiasing at 2x instaed of 4x etc. There's alot of settings to futz with.

Change your refresh also.

I understand that the lcd monitors expect you to run at top end, so don't change the recomended resolution of that til last, if you will have to at all.

As you make adjustments, you'll notice very little, or no improvements between medium and high settings in most cases. Keep plugging at it.

Oblivian, my nephews play that. It is laggy, 1.) because of all the people playing it online. 2.) there was a write-up on some site, where as there wasn't enough server providers and "oblivian" was going to add more in strategic spots to help with ease game play on line.

The other game I know nothing about.

How does it play offline in single player games ?