X360 Brochure

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

<Highlander> wrote in message news:Lr-dnQGtzaxJjpveRVn-jQ@comcast.com...
> http://www.planetxbox360.com/images/brochure/accessories1.jpg

$100 for a 20gig harddrive or wireless usb dongle. No one knows quite how to
take the piss like MS!

I predict a 3rd party harddrive caseing at some point anyway. Would be
surprised if one isnt also made to take a 3.5" drive as they arnt thicker
then a 360.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

Is this right?

I looked at the brochure, and the DVD movie playback is only in 480p?

Look at the accessories, under XBOX 360 Component HDAV Cable. It said the
following:

€ High Definition gaming output of 720p or 1080i
€ Progressive-scan DVD playback in 480p

WHAT??? I got this High Def Sony WWEGA (Got it a going out of business store
for 60% of the actual cost, so do not think I am rich.) and this TV can do
1080i, but will not be able to play movies from the 360 on it at that
resolution. Further more

Under the other cable "Xbox 360 VGA cable"

€ Video output settings of 480p, 720p, or 1080i

So it is possible to play movies on 1080i with a VGA monitor, but not for a
high definition TV. If this is the case, it is going to greatly affect the
desire of purchasing it for a media hub. What is the point of using it for
DVD movies if you cannot watch it at the resolution it can be shown at?

I think I will wait to buy it until Halo 3 comes out. Maybe it will be
cheaper then.

- PEEVED

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

You can play games at 480p, 720p and 1080i (if the game suports it) on the
Xbox 360. Actually, you can already do that with the current Xbox. As for
DVD play, DVDs play at a max of 480p. Some DVD players can up-convert the
image to 720p or 1080i. An up-converted 480p signal does not compare to a
true 720p or 1080i signal. Many HDTVs will do the conversion to 1080i for
you.

So until HD-DVD players and HD-DVD movies come out to go with them, you are
stuck with upconverted 480p for the time being no matter what DVD player you
are using.

You want to get the most out of that HDTV now? Get yourself component
cables for the current Xbox and pick up a few 720p or 1080i games now. Get
yourself an HDTV tuner from your cable company. You can find out more on
HDTV gaming and HDTV console information at http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is this right?
>
> I looked at the brochure, and the DVD movie playback is only in 480p?
>
> Look at the accessories, under XBOX 360 Component HDAV Cable. It said the
> following:
>
> ? High Definition gaming output of 720p or 1080i
> ? Progressive-scan DVD playback in 480p
>
> WHAT??? I got this High Def Sony WWEGA (Got it a going out of business
> store
> for 60% of the actual cost, so do not think I am rich.) and this TV can do
> 1080i, but will not be able to play movies from the 360 on it at that
> resolution. Further more
>
> Under the other cable "Xbox 360 VGA cable"
>
> ? Video output settings of 480p, 720p, or 1080i
>
> So it is possible to play movies on 1080i with a VGA monitor, but not for
> high definition TV. If this is the case, it is going to greatly affect the
> desire of purchasing it for a media hub. What is the point of using it for
> DVD movies if you cannot watch it at the resolution it can be shown at?
>
> I think I will wait to buy it until Halo 3 comes out. Maybe it will be
> cheaper then.
>
> - PEEVED

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

"Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is this right?
>
> I looked at the brochure, and the DVD movie playback is only in 480p?

The current generation of DVDs (that is, EVERY DVD produced and available
commercial retail) has resolution only to 480p. Some units upconvert, but I
am not a big fan of the process. (Then again, some people like colorized
black and white movies, so to each their own). I have noticed some false
imagery and edging during the upconvert, sad to say.

Really, complaining that the DVD output is only 480p misses the point of the
unit.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

Call me educated!

I did not know that the current DVD only does 480 in today's market.

I have been using the XBOX Hi Def connection for my XBOX to my TV right
now, so that works fine. I have tried some games at 720p. Need to find one
at 1080i. Any suggestions on which one?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers!

in article 0BANe.198818$X76.22079@tornado.texas.rr.com, Ollie T at

> Call me educated!
>
> I did not know that the current DVD only does 480 in today's market.
>
> I have been using the XBOX Hi Def connection for my XBOX to my TV right
> now, so that works fine. I have tried some games at 720p. Need to find one
> at 1080i. Any suggestions on which one?

Keep in mind that the Xbox does not do DVD playback at 480p. As for a nice
1080i game, I like MX vs ATV Unleashed.

--
HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

So, the new XBOX 360º will be a better DVD player than the old first
Generation XBOX, right?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers

in article mJpOe.165912$0f.57403@tornado.texas.rr.com, Ollie T at
hello@hello.com wrote on 8/22/05 1:30 PM:

> "Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Call me educated!
>>
>> I did not know that the current DVD only does 480 in today's market.
>>
>> I have been using the XBOX Hi Def connection for my XBOX to my TV right
>> now, so that works fine. I have tried some games at 720p. Need to find one
>> at 1080i. Any suggestions on which one?
>>
> Keep in mind that the Xbox does not do DVD playback at 480p. As for a nice
> 1080i game, I like MX vs ATV Unleashed.
>
> --
> HDTV games lists and discussions
> http://www.hdtvarcade.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,microsoft.public.xbox.live (More info?)

The Xbox will only play DVD's in 480i mode. Is a Limitation of the Xbox.
You can buy DVD players that will play them at the MAX 480P resolution. The
Xbox will play games in 480i,480P, 720P, 1080i. I think almost all games
except a couple would go up to at least 480P. I think there is like 30
games that would do 720P and around 10 that could do 1080i. Not sure off
hand how many would play in 16x9 mode.
Look here: http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm for the list of all the
Xbox games and what resolutions are supported, if they play in 16x9, have
5.1 surround sound and if they support Online.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are the 2 new formats that will play Movies in true HD!
The PS3 will have the Blu-Ray drive in it. I personally thing they will
both fail in the end. DVD work find for most people and they look pretty
good on my HDTV in 480P mode.

"xTenn" <xTennRemovePart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "Phyber Quest" <phyberquest@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is this right?
>>
>> I looked at the brochure, and the DVD movie playback is only in 480p?
>>

> The current generation of DVDs (that is, EVERY DVD produced and available
> commercial retail) has resolution only to 480p. Some units upconvert, but
> I am not a big fan of the process. (Then again, some people like
> colorized black and white movies, so to each their own). I have noticed
> some false imagery and edging during the upconvert, sad to say.
>
> Really, complaining that the DVD output is only 480p misses the point of
> the unit.

wrong. the current generation of DVDs have a resolution of only 480i, not
p. progressive scan DVD players will deinterlace the 480i and output 480p,
but the content is stored as 480i on the DVD. there are some good
progressive scan/upconverting DVD players on the market, that can
deinterlace and scale video to be about on par with cable HD movies though,
which due to compression or bad transfers, don't look as eye-popping as the
Discovery or INHD shows...

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> wrong. the current generation of DVDs have a resolution of only 480i, not
> p. progressive scan DVD players will deinterlace the 480i and output
> 480p, but the content is stored as 480i on the DVD. there are some good
> progressive scan/upconverting DVD players on the market, that can
> deinterlace and scale video to be about on par with cable HD movies
> though, which due to compression or bad transfers, don't look as
> eye-popping as the Discovery or INHD shows...

You do realize that 480p and 480i is the same resolution, right? There are
only 480 lines, you understand... the rest is display mechanics.

I can lead you to water, but you have to drink yourself...

> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> wrong. the current generation of DVDs have a resolution of only 480i,
>> not p. progressive scan DVD players will deinterlace the 480i and output
>> 480p, but the content is stored as 480i on the DVD. there are some good
>> progressive scan/upconverting DVD players on the market, that can
>> deinterlace and scale video to be about on par with cable HD movies
>> though, which due to compression or bad transfers, don't look as
>> eye-popping as the Discovery or INHD shows...
>

> You do realize that 480p and 480i is the same resolution, right? There
> are only 480 lines, you understand... the rest is display mechanics.
>
> I can lead you to water, but you have to drink yourself...

nope.

480i is a half picture, 480p is a full picture...with twice the resolution
of 480i.

you're welcome

>> You do realize that 480p and 480i is the same resolution, right? There
>> are only 480 lines, you understand... the rest is display mechanics.
>>
>> I can lead you to water, but you have to drink yourself...
>>

> nope.
>
> 480i is a half picture, 480p is a full picture...with twice the resolution
> of 480i.
>

> you're welcome

Do you know what "resolution" means?

Interlaced fields not withstanding, of course.

> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> You do realize that 480p and 480i is the same resolution, right? There
>>> are only 480 lines, you understand... the rest is display mechanics.
>>>
>>> I can lead you to water, but you have to drink yourself...
>>>

>> nope.
>>
>> 480i is a half picture, 480p is a full picture...with twice the
>> resolution of 480i.
>>

>> you're welcome
>
> Do you know what "resolution" means?
>
> Interlaced fields not withstanding, of course.

of course I do, what I don't understand is why you're continuing to argue
with me.