ATA100 question

G

Hello there,

I've got an Asus P2B MOBO, which supports only UDMA33.
I've seen that you can buy a Ultra ATA/100 PCI adaptor card (like the Maxtor one), and thus you're able to have an ATA100 drive.

My question is : is the result the same as having a MOBO that directly supports ATA100 ? Or will I be limited by the UDMA 33 ? (in other words : will I exploit fully the drive capability ?)

I've read about this RAID thing as well, but I don't plan to buy 2 drives, and would like to avoid having to reinstall the OS.

Many thanks,

- hubert -

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I have the Maxtor ata100 adapter card. You are not limited by the MB. And you can boot from a drive on the adapter card. Sometimes CompUSA has a deal where they give you the adapter card (rebate) if you buy a Maxtor high capacity hard drive. The drive is VERY quiet and even the 5400rpm is very fast.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a P2B with a Promise Ultra100 card + IBM ATA100 drive. It KILLS UDMA33 and my old Maxtor 6.4 GB.

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"

luca143

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Does that mean that is impossible to run an ATA100 drive off the regular IDE channels even if you're willing to take a performance hit?

----------------------
Thanks,
[dB]Luca

"He who laughs, lasts"

luca143

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Ahhh....

I just did some research and saw a BIOS update for my mobo (Asus P2B). It says the new update will support drives over 32GB (mine is 40GB), which is why it never detected... I just assumed it didn't work because it was ATA100. :)

----------------------
Thanks,
[dB]Luca

"He who laughs, lasts"

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I've got a couple more questions about this, since I'm thinking about doing something similar. Is there much difference between 33 and 100? I mean, is it noticeable? And roughly how much do the cards cost?

ATA33 = 33Mbps = 4.125MB p/s

ATA66 = 66Mbps = 8.25MB p/s

ATA100 = 100Mbps = 12.375MB p/s (this is the theoretical max speed, which never gets reached. It is usually more than ATA66 though).

The advantage of ATA100 is when you configure them in RAID with a controller. This can be used for improved performance or data integrity.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

luca143

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
In my case, I use my computer for video editing. I'm not big on HD performance as long as it can maintain the required 4MB/s. If I remember correctly, my ATA100 drive, plugged into an ATA33 slot with DMA enabled (Win98se) got a WRITE speed of 11MB/s and a read of 8MB/s which is more than enough for me. It's still quite quick, but I suppose if you're a speed buff, this might be a little low for your liking.

----------------------
Thanks,
[dB]Luca

"He who laughs, lasts"

luca143

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Probably, but it shows that if you're an average user, or someone who doesn't need the highest possible speed then taking the performance hit of ATA100 to 33 isn't much of a hit at all.

----------------------
Thanks,
[dB]Luca

"He who laughs, lasts"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Actually, that would be a little bit of a hit. 100 to 66 would be unnoticeable though, as long as they're both the same spin speeds.

And there are no drives that are 100 and 33 with the same spin speeds, so it's tough to compare that.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.