Sign in with
Your question

Ps3 htpc cooling problem

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 1:35:50 PM

Hi just completed my htpc that is disguised as a ps3 (in a ps3 case) affter trying many different solutions I just can't get it to run cool. I'm currently useing the stock fan from a seprom CPU as it is the lowest profile I have but my Athlon x2 soon reaches 55c affter a short time affter booting. (with arctic silver 5 paste)
I'm quite limited on space around 55mm from mobo to roof of case. Also my psu is quite warm to the touch with stock fan. What is a safe running temp for a 400w mini psu I have removed the outer case of the psu to get it in. Any help would be greatly Receved thanks.
May 24, 2012 3:56:06 PM

55c is ok for an athlon x2 is it under load or idle at that? is it the older type ps3 case or the slimline model?
I reckon you may need to mak a vent to your cpu cooler to allow air to it
May 24, 2012 5:15:32 PM

It's 55c idle if I use prime it quickly rises to over 70c under 100% stress. it's a old phat ps3 and the top of the CPU fan is almost touching the top of the case so very tight.
E
Related resources
May 24, 2012 5:16:14 PM

It's 55c idle if I use prime it quickly rises to over 70c under 100% stress. it's a old phat ps3 and the top of the CPU fan is almost touching the top of the case so very tight.
E
May 24, 2012 5:21:31 PM

P.s sorry forgot to mention that there is ample air in through the side of the ps3 as the ps3 hdd cover has been left off.
May 24, 2012 8:03:12 PM

from what i remember of taking my ps3 apart was thee fan was designed to pass the air through the front and out the back you may think theres enough free air space but when your cpu fan is blowing air down its not been removed from the case id say,
you'll need to get air flowing through the case,
just what i thought may help as you said your cooler is right at the top of the case was to make a series of 3mm holes above the fan to give the cooler fresh cool air from the room and hopefully the positve pressure hotter air will exhaust out the hdd space
May 24, 2012 10:42:19 PM

Ok thanks for the answers. My only prob is that the mobo is mounted upside down so the fan is pointing down towards the bottom of the case so no air can get in if I drilled extra holes. Duz any one know of a fan that is low enough to give sufficient space for good cooling and also maybe add some small exhust fans in the drive bay hole do u think that would do the job.
May 25, 2012 9:34:43 AM

Hi been looking at one of these do you think it will be sufficient for my needs it will give me aprox 20mm clearance to the top of the case.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=248...
I've also ordered 2x40mm and a 30mm fan to try and draw air across the components just a bit consius of noise now.
May 25, 2012 11:43:54 AM

yeah sony reduced the noise by having a bigger fan but a ps3 while playing a game got pretty loud don't fit all 3 fans try one at a time try drawing the air across the cpu and then past the psu with just 1 fan wherever your cpu is located should be the intake side so exhaust from opposite and you can get software for modulating fan speed to cpu temp which will also help noise levels
May 26, 2012 3:54:17 PM

Ok thanks I'll try it out when my fans arrive and report back.
!