WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012
So I got all my parts and started to watch the videos on newegg to get my build going. I did an external build as requested. I put the CPU and heatsink fan on, then the RAM and the video card. I then attached all the cables from the PSU to the motherboard. I shorted the power to boot everything, the fans all went on but I get no post beep. I've went through the whole checklist for this problem and still no luck. Could my motherboard be DOA?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Have you made sure all the power cables are connected that are needed? Usually there's the motherboards 24pin and then the 4/8pin that people often miss.

My suggestion would be to build everything properly, inside the case (making sure you use the stand-off screws), connect everything up and then power on.

Have you got a speaker connected to the motherboard? Sounds silly, but if you haven't got a motherboard speaker connected, you wont hear anything anyway :) Motherboard speaker looks like this: http://images.brighthub.com/8d/2/8d2064aaa80504b2674052686523f157d1eed2bd_large.jpg

WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I did have a screen attached but no luck with video. My video card has two PCIe slots, I'm going to try plugging both of them in to see if that works. And about the hdd being attached, multiple threads didn't say anything about an hdd being attached while doing the external build.

Your video card has two Pci-e slots ? What is your video card ? The reason I say the HDD being attached is because the bios checks four things and then gives the bios beep code , cpu , ram , video card and HDD , aftyer checking those four things it gives a single post beep signifying that they all passed and now it's ready to load Windows. If any one of those four things do not pass the bios test then it will give a series of beeps telling you which part failed. Lets say for example that the beep code for the ram is four short and three long beeps and if you started up your system without the ram installed you would get four short and three long beeps to let you know that's the reason why the Pc won't boot.
Some cases come with a case speaker and some don't and then you have to buy one like is posted by AdrianPerry and plug it into the motherboard.
It would also be helpful if you posted the components of your build.

WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Ok I will try it with my hdd attached. Here is my build.

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Case: Rosewill RANGER Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

Video Card: XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I attached the hdd along with the cpu, ram, and video card, but with no luck. Would building it inside the case make a difference? I would think it wouldn't do anything different but I could be wrong. And my 24 pin connector on the psu is missing a pin completely, the slot is empty including the wire that should be going to the psu, I don't know if it is built that way or if it's broken.

If the case has a case speaker then it could help to put it together inside the case so that if there are any boops comong from the bios you would be able to hear them and that could help lead us to the issue. I have two power supplies so I will go check to see if they are also missing a wire like yours.

WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I made some break through now. I did the build inside the case. I attached the hdd again and the video card to my tv through hdmi. I didn't get a beep but I did get video. It has the make of the processor, motherboard, total memory, hdd, etc.

Try shutting down and removing the video card and pluging the monitor cable into the motherboard connector and see if it goes past the spec's , because in a normal boot it will eventually go to a blinking curser and say that a boot file is missing.

WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012
It says under the hdd part: press f11 to go to the boot menu then under that it says BIOS defaults have loaded press f2 or del to run setup or press f1 to continue. I do not have a mouse or keyboard plugged in to do any of that. I can get one if need be. Still no beep also.

WhatsaCOMPOOTER

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Please explain flipping and trying the power voltage. Sorry I'm new to this.

The bios does not have anything that would make you get to the boot screen , you make changes to the factory default settings in the bios. Where the hdd's are listed under the advanced tab you can make sure that the hdd that will hold the OS is listed first in the boot order. But after that hit save and exit. If you are ready to load the OS then put the cd in the dvd drive and start up the computer , it shoud see the disk and start the load process and if you only have one hdd then it will load it on that.