Closed Solved

I5 3470 vs i3 2120 ?

hey am building a gaming pc and i want to know to choose i3 2120 with GTX 560Ti or the i5 3470 with gtx 550ti ? i would be pleased if someone help me ;) (all i need is a fast pc and hardcore gaming lol )
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3470 2120
  1. Add only 10 bucks and you can get a 2500k which you can OC if you want to. The 550 Ti will be good enough to run e.g. BF3 at somewhere lower than ultra in 1080p.
  2. For a gaming PC, always go with the better GPU. Although I would recommend an i5, the i3 is a very capable gaming CPU.
    And instead of the 550 Ti get an HD 7850. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998
    See here why: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=547
    And it's also cheaper ;)
  3. Thomas_89 said:
    For a gaming PC, always go with the better GPU. Although I would recommend an i5, the i3 is a very capable gaming CPU.
    And instead of the 550 Ti get an HD 7850. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998
    See here why: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=547
    And it's also cheaper ;)

    here in my country the HD 7850 is at the exact same price with GtX , and the i5 2500K is more expensive than the i5 3470 with 45$ which i cant afford. its really complicated to lose 2 cores or to lose cuda cores lol :/
  4. Wait a little bit more and get the i5 2500K.
  5. I hate to do this but get the
    3470 it will last a lot longer than the 560ti will then in a few years or a years sell your 550ti and get something newer. I almost never suggest a 550ti as a rule maybe look to see if you can find a 6850 from AMD they outperform the 550ti by a fair margin, even an older 460 GTX any version. They are usually the same price everywhere. Even if you prefer Nvidia the 6850 is just a lot more powerfu

    Don't bother saving more money and spending it on a different cpu. You will never need more than that with the graphics cards you will be using.l
  6. i would go the 560ti with the i3. the i3 will stomp any amd cpu in gaming, and is powerful enough to push the 560ti. 550ti is a piece of crap, totally disagree with what others are saying. GPU power is more important and the i3 is plenty for now and easily upgradable.
  7. If purely gaming then get i3 and 7850. Often, u may end up usin ur pc for other things and it can be good to have a stronger CPU as this will last longer as ur core component and u can upgrade around it. As others have said, I purely gamin then i3 and 7850 if in budget, the 550ti is ok but not great
  8. DUDE! do not buy the GTX 550 Ti,

    i have experienced using plenty of graphic cards. Namely:#

    1. GT 210
    2. GT 430
    3. GTX 550 Ti
    4. GTX 560 Ti
    5. HD 6970 (just testing AMD's card out...haha)
    6. GTX 670

    :) as you can see, as an experienced graphic card user,

    i will suggest you get the card that i used from GTX 560 Ti and beyond.

    even if you get HD 6850 is fine.

    BUT DO NOT GET THE GTX 550 Ti. You have been warned.

    for gaming purposes, the GTX 550 Ti even lost by a small margin by the very ancient HD 4870.

    LOL, the GTX 550 Ti (2011) tech, lost to a HD 4870 (2008) tech. Thats how crappy the 550 Ti's are.

    sry for my words, but just my experience.. :)
  9. iam2thecrowe said:
    i would go the 560ti with the i3. the i3 will stomp any amd cpu in gaming, and is powerful enough to push the 560ti. 550ti is a piece of crap, totally disagree with what others are saying. GPU power is more important and the i3 is plenty for now and easily upgradable.


    If serious about gaming the i3 will last another 2 years ? I5 3470 will game at high levels for another 5 years ?

    550ti will do for now in order to spend the money on a far better cpu.


    Don't you think by the time a CPU upgrade is needed that the 560 ti is going to be a little underpowered for HIGH DEF gaming ?
  10. mrdowntownkiller said:
    here in my country the HD 7850 is at the exact same price with GtX

    AMD announced a round of price cuts this week. Many models (HD7770 and up) are going to get $20-40 cheaper over the next few weeks.
  11. spentshells said:
    If serious about gaming the i3 will last another 2 years ? I5 3470 will game at high levels for another 5 years ?

    550ti will do for now in order to spend the money on a far better cpu.


    Don't you think by the time a CPU upgrade is needed that the 560 ti is going to be a little underpowered for HIGH DEF gaming ?


    well, at least the 560 Ti can do high def gaming till next year, and certainly can play games less than high next 3 years,

    but not the GTX 550 Ti. It cannot do high def gaming today, it can only play medium settings. I have experience with this 550 Ti dude. In witcher 2, GTX 550 Ti averaged 25 fps paired with my 4.2 ghz i5 2500K.

    Now is a different story, i am currently using GTX 670 after a roller coaster experiences with different Graphics card. :sol:
  12. 1depp1 said:
    well, at least the 560 Ti can do high def gaming till next year, and certainly can play games less than high next 3 years,

    but not the GTX 550 Ti. It cannot do high def gaming today, it can only play medium settings. I have experience with this 550 Ti dude. In witcher 2, GTX 550 Ti averaged 25 fps paired with my 4.2 ghz i5 2500K.

    Now is a different story, i am currently using GTX 670 after a roller coaster experiences with different Graphics card. :sol:



    Fair

    OP I'll side with the 560ti and I3 crowd
  13. spentshells said:
    Fair

    OP I'll side with the 560ti and I3 crowd

    +1

    on the other hand, i3 will still be going strong as a gaming unit for at least 2 years.
  14. so u both saying if i used a i3 2120 with 560ti will have a good fps in ultra setting keeping in mind that my max screen resolution is 1280x1024. and after a year or something i should sell my i3 and get an i5 3470 or a i5 2500K ? is it the final answer gentle mens ? its a life decision :D
  15. mrdowntownkiller said:
    so u both saying if i used a i3 2120 with 560ti will have a good fps in ultra setting keeping in mind that my max screen resolution is 1280x1024. and after a year or something i should sell my i3 and get an i5 3470 or a i5 2500K ? is it the final answer gentle mens ? its a life decision :D


    ya, i3 + GTX 560 Ti is more than capable of handling 1280x1024 resolution.

    For your info, even at 1600x900 resolution it can handle. For the next 2 years of course.

    This is only for gaming purposes only.
  16. thanks guys , any other recommendations ?
  17. i think thats about the recommendations mr OP, so, can i get a best answer please? :p
  18. how much u will pay :P i need every cent for my new rig hhahaha :D
  19. Best answer
    mrdowntownkiller said:
    how much u will pay :P i need every cent for my new rig hhahaha :D

    :( $350 is enough for you to buy your rig.. now please give me the best answer for my help.
  20. Done ;)
  21. Best answer selected by mrdowntownkiller.
  22. u are welcome :)
  23. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gtx Gaming Intel i5 Product