HELP: Initial boot, keeps rebooting, no image on screen

blunt_eastwood

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I put together my new system and booted it up but got nothing. The fans run and everything seems to be powered, but then it shuts down and restarts a few seconds later. It continually does this until I turn it off again. Nothing shows up on my screen at any point as well.

I tried everything in the Troubleshooting thread except resetting the BIOS because I'd like to rule out everything else before attempting that and potentially breaking something.

Below are the CPU, mobo, and case I'm using and pictures of just the mobo, CPU, and power plugged in. I don't know if I have something plugged in incorrectly or what. I also recorded a video of it booting up to show what happens.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2H LGA 1155 H61 mATX Intel Motherboard
Case: NZXT Source 210
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W

psu2v.jpg

psu1w.jpg

fpanelx.jpg

Here is the link to the video.

blunt_eastwood

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Are you talking about the part here that I put the box around? If so where is it supposed to go? Thanks.

psu2b.jpg

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I think I might not have been clear enough ... where you have the cable already plugged in is an 8 pin connector so you have half it connected there's just a black cap on the other half you need to remove to fit the second 4 pin connector

blunt_eastwood

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Thanks, but I'm still not totally clear on where that other 4-pin connector is supposed to go on the motherboard. When you say there's a "black cap on the other half you need to remove" where on the board are you referring?

I took out everything nonessential to isolate what was causing the problem. Even without the RAM I should still see something appear on the screen no? That's how I determined it was non-essential.

blunt_eastwood

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Are you referring to this from the Troubleshooting thread?

2. Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket? If the motherboard has 8 pins and your PSU only has 4 pins, you can use the 4-pin connector. The 4-pin connector USUALLY goes on the 4 pins located closest to the CPU. If the motherboard has an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins, you can remove the cover and use an 8-pin plug if your power supply has one. This power connector provides power to the CPU. Your system has no chance of posting without this connector plugged in! Check your motherboard owners manual for more information about the CPU power connector. The CPU power connector is usually referred to as the "12v ATX" connector in the owners manual. This is easily the most common new-builder mistake.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Nope, you've gotta have RAM in the machine in order to get a post. Try different sticks of ram if you have more than one, and try switching the slots. If that doesn't work, reseat your CPU and try again. If that still doesn't work, you may want to try RMAing the mobo and CPU.

It looks to me like your power connectors are correct - your mobo only has a 4 pin connector and though your PS has 4+4 pin connectors, you only need to use one and you obviously have the correct one in, as the other side shouldn't be able to fit.

Hope this helps!

blunt_eastwood

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Unfortunately no, but I did check that the RAM I have is compatible with my motherboard. I will probably end up taking it to a shop to get it looked at.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Honestly, probably a good idea. Call ahead and get a quote - it shouldn't take them more than 30 minutes to diagnose the issue, but many shops (like mine) have a minimum service charge. Hope you figure it out!