Add to open with dialogue

Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer) but it
doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's because it's an
app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs from command line.
Thanx in advance
brian
8 answers Last reply
More about open dialogue

    Open With
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith

    Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm

    Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
    > dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
    > but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
    > because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
    > from command line. Thanx in advance
    > brian

    As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
    Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
    FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
    *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....

    HTH
    --
    ¦ zulu ¦
    Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

    > Open With
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
    >
    > Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    >
    > Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
    >> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
    >> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
    >> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
    >> from command line. Thanx in advance
    >> brian

    In addition to Wesley's advice, see:

    Arbitrary File Types:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fa_arbitrary_file_types.asp

    Excerpt:

    For example, if you want to have Notepad appear in the context menu of an .htm file, use the following keys.

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    ..htm
    OpenWithList
    Notepad.exe

    Additionally, Notepad needs to have the following application key entry.

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    Applications
    Notepad.exe

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote in message news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
    dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer) but it
    doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's because it's an
    app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs from command line.
    Thanx in advance
    brian

    Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:pprEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
    > As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
    > Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
    > FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
    > *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > ¦ zulu ¦
    > Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
    > 150DPI

    >> Open With
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
    >>
    >> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    >>
    >> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
    >>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
    >>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
    >>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
    >>> from command line. Thanx in advance
    >>> brian

    Easiest way, David. But I just noticed that mplay32.exe is in the KillList

    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation]

    In order to make mplay32.exe appear in the Open With list, I had to remove the file reference from Killlist. Then, opened a .AVI file using mplay32.exe.

    Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList. ;-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u3vFG1v9EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:pprEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
    > As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
    > Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
    > FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
    > *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > ¦ zulu ¦
    > Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
    > 150DPI

    >> Open With
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
    >>
    >> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    >>
    >> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
    >>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
    >>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
    >>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
    >>> from command line. Thanx in advance
    >>> brian

    >> Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList.

    Mark Dormer gives an insight, but haven't tested it myself:

    <quote>
    The first method was only documented recently leading me to believe it's the
    version 5 or 5.5 of the shell (NT5 and later operating system). The kill key
    has always been in Win9x so try that one.

    --
    Mark Dormer

    </quote>

    Excluding an Application from the Open With Dialog Box
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fileassoc.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uPYlPJx9EHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    Easiest way, David. But I just noticed that mplay32.exe is in the KillList

    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation]

    In order to make mplay32.exe appear in the Open With list, I had to remove the file reference from Killlist. Then, opened a .AVI file using mplay32.exe.

    Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList. ;-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u3vFG1v9EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:pprEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
    > As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
    > Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
    > FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
    > *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > ¦ zulu ¦
    > Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
    > 150DPI

    Killlist is from 95 NoOpenWith is ME/XP

    But Mplay32 happily added itself to my Open With dialogs but not menu. The poster specified dialog. It's not in the top 1/2 but the bottom 1/2.
    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uPYlPJx9EHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    Easiest way, David. But I just noticed that mplay32.exe is in the KillList

    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation]

    In order to make mplay32.exe appear in the Open With list, I had to remove the file reference from Killlist. Then, opened a .AVI file using mplay32.exe.

    Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList. ;-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u3vFG1v9EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:pprEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
    > As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
    > Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
    > FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
    > *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > ¦ zulu ¦
    > Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
    > 150DPI

    >> Open With
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
    >>
    >> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
    >>
    >> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
    >>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
    >>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
    >>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
    >>> from command line. Thanx in advance
    >>> brian

    >>Killlist is from 95 NoOpenWith is ME/XP

    Thanks. I assume that the Killlist exists in XP systems for backwards compatibility. Similar to "The long and sad story of the Shell Folders key" :-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User