Add to open with dialogue

January 10, 2005 4:52:38 AM

Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer) but it
doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's because it's an
app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs from command line.
Thanx in advance
brian

More about : add open dialogue

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:52:39 AM

Open With
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith

Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm

Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
> from command line. Thanx in advance
> brian
January 10, 2005 11:54:45 AM

As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
*Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....

HTH
--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

> Open With
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
>
> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>
> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
>> from command line. Thanx in advance
>> brian
January 10, 2005 5:53:34 PM

In addition to Wesley's advice, see:

Arbitrary File Types:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

Excerpt:

For example, if you want to have Notepad appear in the context menu of an .htm file, use the following keys.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
..htm
OpenWithList
Notepad.exe

Additionally, Notepad needs to have the following application key entry.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Applications
Notepad.exe

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote in message news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer) but it
doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's because it's an
app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs from command line.
Thanx in advance
brian
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:14:57 AM

Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:p prEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
> Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
> FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
> *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
>
> HTH
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> 150DPI

>> Open With
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
>>
>> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>>
>> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
>>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
>>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
>>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
>>> from command line. Thanx in advance
>>> brian

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:14:58 AM

Easiest way, David. But I just noticed that mplay32.exe is in the KillList

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation]

In order to make mplay32.exe appear in the Open With list, I had to remove the file reference from Killlist. Then, opened a .AVI file using mplay32.exe.

Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList. ;-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u3vFG1v9EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:p prEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
> Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
> FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
> *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
>
> HTH
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> 150DPI

>> Open With
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
>>
>> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>>
>> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
>>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
>>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
>>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
>>> from command line. Thanx in advance
>>> brian

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:14:59 AM

>> Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList.

Mark Dormer gives an insight, but haven't tested it myself:

<quote>
The first method was only documented recently leading me to believe it's the
version 5 or 5.5 of the shell (NT5 and later operating system). The kill key
has always been in Win9x so try that one.

--
Mark Dormer

</quote>

Excluding an Application from the Open With Dialog Box

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uPYlPJx9EHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Easiest way, David. But I just noticed that mplay32.exe is in the KillList

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation]

In order to make mplay32.exe appear in the Open With list, I had to remove the file reference from Killlist. Then, opened a .AVI file using mplay32.exe.

Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList. ;-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u3vFG1v9EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:p prEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
> Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
> FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
> *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
>
> HTH
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> 150DPI
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:06:10 AM

Killlist is from 95 NoOpenWith is ME/XP

But Mplay32 happily added itself to my Open With dialogs but not menu. The poster specified dialog. It's not in the top 1/2 but the bottom 1/2.
http://www.uscricket.com
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message news:uPYlPJx9EHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Easiest way, David. But I just noticed that mplay32.exe is in the KillList

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation]

In order to make mplay32.exe appear in the Open With list, I had to remove the file reference from Killlist. Then, opened a .AVI file using mplay32.exe.

Now, I really don't understand the functionality differences between NoOpenWith and KillList. ;-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:u3vFG1v9EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Browse to the file the first time and it will be in the list 2nd time onwards..

http://www.uscricket.com
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:p prEd.31$mw.11@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> As an alternative you can use the *Send To* on the right click context menu:
> Start>Run> Type senddto >OK and drag or paste a shortcut into there.
> FWIW I have created a new folder in there (to keep the length down)called
> *Players* which has shortcuts to all 7 or 8 of my players....
>
> HTH
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> 150DPI

>> Open With
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_o.htm#openwith
>>
>> Open-with list is collapsed; No items listed in the open-with menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithissue.htm
>>
>> Show Programs in the Open With Selection Box
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1135/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:%23QWfl6q9EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> brian <thefergies_at_inicia.es> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello there: I can't seem to find how I can add to this right click
>>> dialogue. I want to open .avi files with a certain player (mplayer)
>>> but it doesn't show up in the right click dialogue. I guess it's
>>> because it's an app that doesn't install, just an .exe file that runs
>>> from command line. Thanx in advance
>>> brian

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:06:11 AM

>>Killlist is from 95 NoOpenWith is ME/XP

Thanks. I assume that the Killlist exists in XP systems for backwards compatibility. Similar to "The long and sad story of the Shell Folders key" :-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!