Solved

Which Gtx 560 ti?

Hey guys! Its been about a year since I've posted on here and I have come back to ask another question. I've been researching a graphics card for gaming, and I decided on this Geforce GTX 560 Ti http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7191453&CatId=3669

My only problem is that Im not sure which brand or type to buy. I have no clue which is a good brand, how much memory on it ill need, or if I need "fermi". etc.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on which 560 is the fastest for the top games out right now, which one is most reliable, and which one is around my price point of under $250ish.

By the way, I might be open to a completely different card as long as it fits my parameters above and beats the 560 in performance.

Thanks a lot. :)
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which
  1. Best answer
    You can get them for under $200 right now. Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA....all good brands. Don't bother spending too much more for an overclocked version, you can overclock it yourself in about 20 seconds using the MSI Afterburner software which is free to download. I'm very happy with my MSI Twin FrozrII OC. I think it's on Amazon right now for about $180 after the $30 rebate.

What's your monitor resolution?
  2. +1 to catatafish. I purchased the same card from newegg in 2/2011 and it works great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565
  3. I have gotta disagree with cata. There seems to be a failure to recognize the fact that there are substantial physical differences between the "reference cards" and most of the factory OC's cards. A factory OC'd card in most instances is NOT just a factory dude using afterburner to crank up the speed a bit on a reference model..... the better factory OC'd cards include a more robust PCB design and a bigger more efficient cooler which allows those higher OC's while making the bean counters at the corporate level happy that they wont fry and have to be replaced.

The majority of the factory OC'd cards have larger and more efficient coolers. All other things being equal, they simply will NOT under any circumstances OC has high a the factory OC'd jobs because of thermal limitations.....might as well argue that you will get the same OC's on a CPU with Intel's stock cooler versus say a Hyper 212, or Noc DH-14.

More importantly, the "reference" 560 Ti has just a four phase VRM. This module is what supplies voltage to the card.....more poer requires more voltage...the more robust the VRM, the more voltage it can handle and the higher your OC.

Some of the factory OC'd cards (i.e. Sparkle, EVGA) have factory OC'd cards with better coolers buyt the same 4 phase VRM. Palit used 5, MSI used 6 in the Frozr line..... Asus and Gigabyte use a 7 phase VRM design which is why ya see these buggers doing a Captain Kirk and "going where no 560 card has gone before .... 1070 Mhz

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

So my advice to the OP is definitely" buy a factory OC'd card with the bigger, more efficient coolers and the beefed up PCB's and robust VRM's with 7 or more phases.

BTW, the MSI is a factory OC'd card w/ 6 phase VRM (875 Mhz ... reference speed is 820). The Asius and Gigabyte Models have 7 phases and come factory OC's to 800Mhz....as per the link below, they can go another 20% with afterburner for a 30+% OC over reference speeds tho I limit them to around 1020 in my builds.....980 Mhz if no air conditioning
  4. JackNaylorPE said:
    I have gotta disagree with cata. There seems to be a failure to recognize the fact that there are substantial physical differences between the "reference cards" and most of the factory OC's cards. A factory OC'd card in most instances is NOT just a factory dude using afterburner to crank up the speed a bit on a reference model..... the better factory OC'd cards include a more robust PCB design and a bigger more efficient cooler which allows those higher OC's while making the bean counters at the corporate level happy that they wont fry and have to be replaced.

The majority of the factory OC'd cards have larger and more efficient coolers. All other things being equal, they simply will NOT under any circumstances OC has high a the factory OC'd jobs because of thermal limitations.....might as well argue that you will get the same OC's on a CPU with Intel's stock cooler versus say a Hyper 212, or Noc DH-14.

More importantly, the "reference" 560 Ti has just a four phase VRM. This module is what supplies voltage to the card.....more poer requires more voltage...the more robust the VRM, the more voltage it can handle and the higher your OC.

Some of the factory OC'd cards (i.e. Sparkle, EVGA) have factory OC'd cards with better coolers buyt the same 4 phase VRM. Palit used 5, MSI used 6 in the Frozr line..... Asus and Gigabyte use a 7 phase VRM design which is why ya see these buggers doing a Captain Kirk and "going where no 560 card has gone before .... 1070 Mhz

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

So my advice to the OP is definitely" buy a factory OC'd card with the bigger, more efficient coolers and the beefed up PCB's and robust VRM's with 7 or more phases.

BTW, the MSI is a factory OC'd card w/ 6 phase VRM (875 Mhz ... reference speed is 820). The Asius and Gigabyte Models have 7 phases and come factory OC's to 800Mhz....as per the link below, they can go another 20% with afterburner for a 30+% OC over reference speeds tho I limit them to around 1020 in my builds.....980 Mhz if no air conditioning

I'm not saying buy a reference card. I'm saying buy an MSI and overclock the crap out of it. Just don't think he needs to buy the "pre overclocked" MSI if he can help it. Yes the Hawk has a different fan and better power management, but there are several other versions of the non Hawk twin Frozer, I'm just saying buy the $180 one, not the $250 because you can take the $180 one (Like the one I have) and crank that sucker up to 950 without messing with the voltage.

So I think we're agreeing, I just didn't verbalize it very succintly. :)
  5. I am in the market for a GTX 560 TI as well. I like the EVGA brand from past experience but I'm no expert. I'm waiting for nvidia to release their new GPU's so the prices drop. They just released the new 680's the other day. Shouldn't be much longer before others in the 6xx series are released and the prices of the 5xx series drops.. I think.. Any opinions?
  6. @JackNalyor I had to read that twice 2 understand most of it, no offense to you, its just all the ins and outs of GPUs confuse me :??:

@Cata I havent bought a monitor yet but I know im buyin a 23" 1920x1080. and btw i looked at that card awhile back and I heard it can be unreliable. Any bad experiences with yours?
  7. None at all.....and I'm pretty sure there's a 3 year warrantly but I don't recall. EVGA has a lifetime. I chose this card because it is the shortest, runs the coolest, and is among the quietest. I was comfortable with the 3 year warranty and the Amazon return policy. I've got about 40 hours of SWTOR and another 40-60 on BF3 and no issues yet. I had a couple of crashes on BF3 when I tried to push the overclocking limits but I've found a nice 950 overclock that is holding steady.

I think you can't go wrong with EVGA, MSI, or gigabyte....all seem to have happy customers.
  8. catatafish said:
    None at all.....and I'm pretty sure there's a 3 year warrantly but I don't recall. EVGA has a lifetime. I chose this card because it is the shortest, runs the coolest, and is among the quietest. I was comfortable with the 3 year warranty and the Amazon return policy. I've got about 40 hours of SWTOR and another 40-60 on BF3 and no issues yet. I had a couple of crashes on BF3 when I tried to push the overclocking limits but I've found a nice 950 overclock that is holding steady.

I think you can't go wrong with EVGA, MSI, or gigabyte....all seem to have happy customers.

Oh okay, the warranty is 3 years but I definitely wont have it for that long, so thats good. Ill do some more research but at the moment Im liking it more than the EVGA brand I picked out. Thanks alot :D
  9. Best answer selected by Tacokiller10.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product