Sign in with
Your question

Video card causing BSOD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2012 5:21:45 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then I installed Windows 7 64bit and Windows 7 32bit in dual boot because the TV tunner doesn`t have drivers for 64bit. It worked well for 1 week after windows installation then I started to get random BSODs, screen freezing, restarts, crashes random like it could appeared in a game, while watching a video on the web or just Sometimes BSODs and crashes were acompaniated by a distorsioned sound from speakers. I updated my graphics drivers, I uninstalled Ntune which I suspected, I uninstalled Virtualbox, I done everythig to solve this but nothing.... until now. Now I started to suspect the video card so I removed it and now I`m on the integrated video card and no freeze, no BSOD, no crash, no reset... Could the video card be the cause??

SPECS:
mobo: p5g41t-m lx
ram: 4gb ddr3 kingmax 1333mhz (works on 800mhz)
cpu: Intel pentium dual core e5700 3.0ghz
video card: Asus Nvidia Geforce 8500gt 256MB DDR3
psu: 450W
tv tuner: KWorld PVR-TV 878

my minidump here:

if you need more info, let me know :D 
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 2:57:17 AM

Well, that is an ooooolllld GPU. Wouldn't put it past it to start crapping out on you.

You honestly already tested it, if you have an IGP and that's working just fine, i'd buy a new video card.
m
l
March 24, 2012 9:55:24 AM

well, old as it is, it can handle well games like Skyrim, Gta 4, Just Cause 2, L.A Noire etc at medium settings, I can play Skyrim even on high-ultra. But yeahh, it can be too old, but still if anyone knows other solution... :o 

I get no artifacts, I tested it yesterday with furmark, no crash, I tortured it, no crush, the games runs fine but then suddently: BSOD, FREEZE, RESTART... goshh... :ouch: 
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2012 9:22:56 PM

I ran memtest and it`s all ok, anyway I removed the video card and tryird it on my cousin`s PC and it`s working with no problems, I guess it`s just a driver colflicts or something like that... I must mention that BSODs and this stuffs occured after I made the dual boot ( Win 7 32bit and Win7 64bit ). Before that all was ok, maybe those operating sistems are in conflict somehow and that causes the problem... strange. With IGP pc works like a charm! I`ll try with another HDD maybe dual booting is the problem, just guessing...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 6:01:20 PM

Did you install the wrong drivers for each O/S? 64 bit drivers vs 32 bit, etc.?

If you tried the card out in another PC and it's OK, then the only other thing I could guess would be driver issues.
m
l
!