Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 3570k vs Phenom X4 965

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 15, 2012 2:03:40 PM

Is it really worth the extra £100? How big is the performance boost?

[EDIT] I ask because If i was to get the phenom X4 965 I could get an extra 8GB Ram for my video editing / SSD 120GB Agility 3 / Better case & a 7850 , Whereas if I was to get the 3570K i'd be struggling to get these

More about : 3570k phenom 965

a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 2:19:35 PM

600 budget calls for a 955 though
Related resources
September 15, 2012 2:24:53 PM

spentshells said:
600 budget calls for a 955 though


What's better than the Phenom but slightly worse than the i5 2500k & at around £100 Price?
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 2:30:07 PM

rEcR8Z said:
What's better than the Phenom but slightly worse than the i5 2500k & at around £100 Price?


Wishes, mostly
September 15, 2012 2:30:47 PM

egilbe said:
Wishes, mostly


They sometimes become true.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 2:35:46 PM

Downgrade the motherboard to a P67 or Z68 to save some money and also buy a Core i5 2500K.It's as fast as a 3570K but cheeper.

Or if you're into video editing/encoding/converting a FX 8120 will be just as good if not better than a Core i5.
September 15, 2012 2:40:13 PM

Kamen_BG said:
Downgrade the motherboard to a P67 or Z68 to save some money and also buy a Core i5 2500K.It's as fast as a 3570K but cheeper.

Or if you're into video editing/encoding/converting a FX 8120 will be just as good if not better than a Core i5.


Gaming / Video editing / Photoshop are all my main priorities. I've heard many bad things about the bulldozers so I don't really trust them
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 2:47:59 PM

rEcR8Z said:
Gaming / Video editing / Photoshop are all my main priorities. I've heard many bad things about the bulldozers so I don't really trust them


They work, just not as well as the Deneb core processors for gaming, and it takes 6 AMD cores to equal 4 intel cores. For video editing, the 8 core processor is as fast as the i7's and it does hold the overclocking record at 8ghz or something like that.
September 15, 2012 2:54:21 PM

So to the main question. What should I do , Spend on the 3570K and takeaway some other Hardware or Keep the 965BE And keep the extra Harwdware? Or even Get a FX8120
September 15, 2012 5:09:16 PM

No thanks i'd rather build my own PC around my budget than let someone who goes around 'shoutin' not to get fx chips build me one. I only take advice from proffesionals.
September 15, 2012 7:28:59 PM

The FX series of CPU's isn't a bad series, but it's pretty underwhelming. Do you live close to a Microcenter?
September 15, 2012 8:06:02 PM

Are you planning to overclock? I think the I5's are better at it (though my 955 isn't too shabby at all) - something to consider...

7850 is a damn good card to buy right now imo - it really depends how much you value gaming over everything else... SSD is a must, at least for the OS...

Also buying a cheap case and some spray paint is surprisingly fun :) 
September 15, 2012 8:08:46 PM

paynee89 said:
Are you planning to overclock? I think the I5's are better at it (though my 955 isn't too shabby at all) - something to consider...

7850 is a damn good card to buy right now imo - it really depends how much you value gaming over everything else... SSD is a must, at least for the OS...

Also buying a cheap case and some spray paint is surprisingly fun :) 


I agree with everything, except for buying a cheap case. A well built, high quality case can last you through several builds. It also helps with cable management, airflow, size of the graphics cards you can have, how many HDDs you can have, if you have 2.5" bays, etc....
September 15, 2012 8:15:07 PM

The 3570K smashes any current AMD CPU into little AMD pieces. There is no competition. For video editing, do you even need a GPU right now?
September 15, 2012 8:37:21 PM

stant1rm said:
The FX series of CPU's isn't a bad series, but it's pretty underwhelming. Do you live close to a Microcenter?

A couple of thousand miles from it , I live in the uk :)  ( where hardware is expensive as hell )
September 15, 2012 8:41:11 PM

paynee89 said:
Are you planning to overclock? I think the I5's are better at it (though my 955 isn't too shabby at all) - something to consider...

7850 is a damn good card to buy right now imo - it really depends how much you value gaming over everything else... SSD is a must, at least for the OS...

Also buying a cheap case and some spray paint is surprisingly fun :) 


I'm getting the HD7850 1gb CLUB3D edition because if overclocked its better than the 2GB version by around 10 - 15%. I might downgrade from the i5 3570k to 3550 so i can afford the SSD
September 15, 2012 8:43:54 PM

P.s I aint really too keen on OCing as ive been told by many theres no extra performance you will notice.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 9:13:19 PM

Here's a comparison between 965 BE and a 2500k. None of them overclocked.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288

An overclocked (4.0-4.1 Ghz) 965 BE is still stable and comes close to a stock 2500k. Close means not it's as fast, just ... close. And that's still a stock 2500k with a lot of headroom when overclocked itself. Not to mention the power draw is quite a bit higher on a Phenom (125W stock, even more OC'ed). ;) 

That being said, you can get a mobo (970 chipset) + 965BE + 8GB (1866) RAM for the price of just the 2500k.

None of the Bulldozer chips is really an option, because the fastest one is still short in performance of a 2500k and just a little bit cheaper. Not as much cheaper as a 965, so price advantage goes out of the window compared to the performance gain you would get by spending a few more bucks on that 2500k.

Note: I'm comparing to a 2500k because it is a few bucks cheaper than an 3570k and almost the same in performance, with a slightly higher power draw. If you can get the 3570k for about the same price, take it over the 2500k.

Considering your budget, a 965 BE leaves more room for a nice overall system. Like an SSD + good case or a 7870 or a quality modular PSU for a clean and stable system ...

For gaming on 1080p with a 7850/70 a Phenom is fine, few fps slower, but fine.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 9:23:23 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
Here's a comparison between 965 BE and a 2500k. None of them overclocked.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288

An overclocked (4.0-4.1 Ghz) 965 BE is still stable and comes close to a stock 2500k. Close means not it's as fast, just ... close. And that's still a stock 2500k with a lot of headroom when overclocked itself. Not to mention the power draw is quite a bit higher on a Phenom (125W stock, even more OC'ed). ;) 

That being said, you can get a mobo (970 chipset) + 965BE + 8GB (1866) RAM for the price of just the 2500k.

None of the Bulldozer chips is really an option, because the fastest one is still short in performance of a 2500k and just a little bit cheaper. Not as much cheaper as a 965, so price advantage goes out of the window compared to the performance gain you would get by spending a few more bucks on that 2500k.

Note: I'm comparing to a 2500k because it is a few bucks cheaper than an 3570k and almost the same in performance, with a slightly higher power draw. If you can get the 3570k for about the same price, take it over the 2500k.

Considering your budget, a 965 BE leaves more room for a nice overall system. Like an SSD + good case or a 7870 or a quality modular PSU for a clean and stable system ...

For gaming on 1080p with a 7850/70 a Phenom is fine, few fps slower, but fine.



+1
September 15, 2012 10:02:26 PM

I would rather keep a bit slower CPU and have good components than take 3570K and go cheap everywhere else.

For this budget I see 3 options for CPU:

Intel Core i3-3220:
The fastest gaming CPU out of the 3. Unfortunately it has 2 cores, so it will have worst performance when all the cores can be utilized.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition:
The cheaper quad-core CPU that is also a perfect choice for gaming. Ideal when you can get all 4 cores utilized.

AMD FX-4170:
It is only $10 dollars more expensive than 965 BE, but it offers 4 higher clocked cores than 965 BE, so it has better performance at gaming than 965 BE, still not near as fast as a Core i5 3570k, but fast enough to get the job done. I find it the perfect middle-ground both for your gaming and video-editing desires.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 10:18:59 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
...
it offers 4 higher clocked cores, so it has better performance at gaming
...



Makes no sense, if clock speed would be the only thing that determines the speed of a CPU, AMD wouldn't have such a vast disadvantage compared to Intel CPUs. :sarcastic: 
September 15, 2012 10:24:05 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
Makes no sense, if clock speed would be the only thing that determines the speed of a CPU, AMD wouldn't have such a vast disadvantage compared to Intel CPUs. :sarcastic: 


It does make sense when you compare CPUs from the same manufacturer. However you have a point that for the same clock speed Phenom usually outperforms Bulldozer in gaming.

EDIT: And I never said that clock speed is the only thing that matters, it is just another feature of the product that you keep in mind.

EDIT2: i just re-read my post and I had not stated my thoughts clearly.

Now it is fixed
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 10:25:27 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
It does make sence when you compare CPUs from the same manufacturer. However you have a point that for the same clock speed Phenom usually outperforms Bulldozer in gaming.


Yep, different chip architecture, too. :) 
September 15, 2012 10:31:34 PM

Up the budget and get at least a 3470. You'll regret an AMD build next year. They simply can't keep up to Intel.
September 15, 2012 11:15:09 PM

Smeg45 said:
Up the budget and get at least a 3470. You'll regret an AMD build next year. They simply can't keep up to Intel.


Agreed. Unless Piledriver makes major improvements in IPC , AMD is gonna keep falling behind.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 11:26:55 PM

Right now, his budget just calls for a better overall system than investing half, instead of just one third, of it on the CPU department.

Doesn't matter what happens in a year or "if you had a few more bucks" (which you do not have), if you need a new system right away. ;) 
September 15, 2012 11:31:35 PM

^^^^

AMD is not better overall. If you don't buy Intel now, you'll regret it over the coming months. Save up some more cash if you have to but AMD right now is a poor decision.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 11:37:06 PM

Smeg45 said:
^^^^

AMD is not better overall. If you don't buy Intel now, you'll regret it over the coming months. Save up some more cash if you have to but AMD right now is a poor decision.


:lol:  you are such an intel fanboy trolling all the AMD threads :pt1cable: 
September 15, 2012 11:48:04 PM

egilbe said:
:lol:  you are such an intel fanboy trolling all the AMD threads :pt1cable: 


Because AMD is rubbish. Which is what I experienced first hand in my own build. Its not worth it. Hot, slow, parts that are EOL and belong in the tip.
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2012 12:02:23 AM

You can spent (or save) 100-120€ more on other parts if you go with a 965. That's worth something if you do not aim for breaking benchmarks but running a balanced system. It always depends on what you are doing with your system, what performance you are expecting and if you care for "waiting on the next release of whatever" or not.

My 4 year old Phenom 9750 is still running everything I throw at it. Despite DDR2 and a 6770. Yeah I can't run "ultra" settings, but "high" still works @1080p for most games. CAD, 3DS MAX and Photoshop CS3 are running fine. It sucks in benchmarks, but "real world performance" is okay. ;) 


Anyway, I'm sure the OP already decided on what to do.
!