Solved

New Workstation - Advice Needed

I'm looking for a new system, and have always appreciated the advice I've gotten here from guys who stay on top of the latest products and releases (Thanks). I'm hoping for some advice on a new system I'm looking to purchase.

Approximate Purchase Date: this month
Budget Range: up to about $2500 max...under $2000 would be nice.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (VMWare, multiple applications, Outlook/Exchange)
Parts Not Required: Videocards (I currently have 2 Radeon HD 4800 Series cards which I'll move to the new system. I used to play games but just don't have the time anymore. I run 3 24" monitors). I already have a SB X-Fi card which I'll be moving to the new system as well.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX
Parts Preferences: I am loyal to Asus MB's, Intel CPU's and really like the Corsair Obsidian 650D tower (but am probably open to alternatives if you really like something).
Overclocking: I usually don't OC at first, but do later on when I notice the system slowing down a bit.
SLI or Crossfire: Two AMD cards mean I'll need Crossfire (right?).
Monitor Resolution: 3 Dell LCD's at 1920x1200 each
Additional Comments: I'm basically looking for a workhorse system that can keep up with my work requirements. Blu-Ray really isn't something I need. If you tell me that now isn't an optimal time to purchase a system, and that I'm better off to wait a few months, I could do that. But I think, from what I've ready, that now is a good time?

Thanks for your suggestions!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about workstation advice needed
  1. bigred072 said:
    I'm looking for a new system, and have always appreciated the advice I've gotten here from guys who stay on top of the latest products and releases (Thanks). I'm hoping for some advice on a new system I'm looking to purchase.

Approximate Purchase Date: this month
    Budget Range: up to about $2500 max...under $2000 would be nice.
    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (VMWare, multiple applications, Outlook/Exchange)
    Parts Not Required: Videocards (I currently have 2 Radeon HD 4800 Series cards which I'll move to the new system. I used to play games but just don't have the time anymore. I run 3 24" monitors). I already have a SB X-Fi card which I'll be moving to the new system as well.
    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX
    Parts Preferences: I am loyal to Asus MB's, Intel CPU's and really like the Corsair Obsidian 650D tower (but am probably open to alternatives if you really like something).
    Overclocking: I usually don't OC at first, but do later on when I notice the system slowing down a bit.
    SLI or Crossfire: Two AMD cards mean I'll need Crossfire (right?).
    Monitor Resolution: 3 Dell LCD's at 1920x1200 each
    Additional Comments: I'm basically looking for a workhorse system that can keep up with my work requirements. Blu-Ray really isn't something I need. If you tell me that now isn't an optimal time to purchase a system, and that I'm better off to wait a few months, I could do that. But I think, from what I've ready, that now is a good time?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Do you do any rendering or video work? And do you use any applications that require many core processors?
  2. No video work at the moment, and it doesn't happen often (once or twice a year). I'm not aware of specific software that I use that required multiple cores, but I just end up doing a lot of stuff at once, and that's when I push my machine to the limits of what it can do.

At any given time I might have a few RDP sessions open, be running a couple of VMWare machines, as well as Outlook (Exchange). I also work with 7Customizer a fair bit to customize OS installs, but I'm not sure if any of those are multi-core applications? I don't think so...but I might be wrong...
  3. Best answer
    bigred072 said:
    No video work at the moment, and it doesn't happen often (once or twice a year). I'm not aware of specific software that I use that required multiple cores, but I just end up doing a lot of stuff at once, and that's when I push my machine to the limits of what it can do.

At any given time I might have a few RDP sessions open, be running a couple of VMWare machines, as well as Outlook (Exchange). I also work with 7Customizer a fair bit to customize OS installs, but I'm not sure if any of those are multi-core applications? I don't think so...but I might be wrong...

Since using multiple programs at once..I recommend this build..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8Nl0
  4. First of all, thanks for the quick response!

The price is sure good. I've got a few questions for you...

Is there any faster system that is worth me spending more? Would you consider this system very fast, or is this more of a "best bang for your buck" type of configuration?

I currently have an Asus Rampage Formula, Intel E8500 running at 3.8, 8gb Dominator DDR2 and am hoping this will be a good improvement on that. Do you think it would be?

Thanks!
  5. For what you are looking for I don't think raw speed should be the target. multitasking is more of a focus, and the core i7 mentioned should be very good for that. Sure, you could get more speed, but I don't see that you need it. You are running multiple things at the same time. That requires more lanes of highway, not necessarily a faster speed limit for the cars.

I would up the memory to 32Gb depending on the configuration of your virtual machines. I run labs at times with up to 8 windows VMs on my laptop and memory is always my bottleneck, not CPU. I have a Core i7 2720QM @ 2.2Ghz w/ 16Gb of RAM. I run the same lab on my i7 desktop with 32Gb and never bottleneck.
  6. Ok, that makes sense. As you've both mentioned, I need multiple things to run quickly...one program running quickly isn't really my goal. I do think I'll go with 32gb of memory...I'm not sure if GSkill has a 32gb set, but most likely they do (Mad?).

My current system has a Velociraptor for the OS and then a 2tb WD drive for data (though I have a server nearby for the bulk of my data). I'm guessing you would both recommend me going for a SSD drive? This is one area I've really ignored and have no idea about...any thoughts and/or suggestions on that?
  7. Best answer selected by bigred072.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Workstations Systems