Sign in with
Your question

Not sure what is causing this problem

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 5:40:03 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post here on the forums. While I looked around on here to see if I could find my issue, I didn't have much luck. Perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction.

About a week ago my computer started acting funny, by funny I mean **** me off haha. I would be doing something on my comp when all of the sudden everything would freeze. Actually, not everything, because I could still move my mouse around. It was as if what I was doing just turned into a picture and I could not click on anything or do anything. No clicking the start button, no ctrl alt delete, no right clicks, nothing. I would have to power off the computer by holding down the power key.

At first doing a hard reset of the system seemed to fix the problem, then it got worse. It was doing it more and more frequently. I talked to a friend and he said it sounded like the HDD was dying. I went to the store and bought a new drive (Seaqgate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM, SATA). I dropped that in my machine, reinstalled Win 7 Pro, and started running updates. It is then that the issue started again. (sadface)

What could possibly be causing this problem? My case gives me temp read outs from inside and the temps are all in the normal range it seems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : causing problem

May 24, 2012 5:58:46 PM

Poss the ram but in al honesty it cold be a number of things. I would start by downloading mem test burning to a disk and running that for at least 2 full cycles if u have 2 sticks testy them 1 at a time.
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:22:40 PM

Here is a break down of my comp.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHZ 4CPUs
MOBO - EVGA 780i
Mem - 8192 RAM (not sure about brand or speed)
HDD - Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
SDD - None
PSU - 800 watt
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX
Case - No idea what its called
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
m
l
!