Process of converting an old laptop into a second display

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickgroth

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
So I have an old HP laptop (Pentium M) and I am trying to go about converting it to a second display. The laptop runs fine, and since the only display port on the laptop is a VGA, I had to connect it to my onboard 6150SE gpu. I am running my main monitor on an 8800GTX with a DVI cord (the second port on the 8800GTX is DVI as well). I already tested this with a different monitor plugged into the VGA port on my motherboard, and it works, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this laptop to make it not work...

(Sorry for my lack of sentence organization; my brain isn't working well today.)

Solution
Yes, you can do that with software such as MaxiVista (http://www.maxivista.com/). I have used this before and it works fairly well. An open source alternative is ZoneScreen (I can't comment on this softare personally, but I have heard that it is not very effective).

-A
Hello,

You cannot do what your trying to do.

Your laptop has a VGA output <-- this is important.

You are trying to connect your VGA output to your VGA output on you onboard GPU - however most onboard GPU's get disabled once you have a secondary GPU installed. So that will not even work.

What you would have to do is - take apart the monitor and somehow find an adapter that would fit the LCD screen....which I highly doubt you would find.

Maybe look into some Ben Heck mods.

+1 I agree with that.

Some people just try and do really strange things...no offense to you quickgroth!

sous13

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Yes, you can do that with software such as MaxiVista (http://www.maxivista.com/). I have used this before and it works fairly well. An open source alternative is ZoneScreen (I can't comment on this softare personally, but I have heard that it is not very effective).

-A

Solution

Ahh interesting. Didn't know that was possible. Good to know! Good link Sous13.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
theres a program that lets you use a 2nd computer similarly to a 2nd monitor.
you run 2 computer, 2 os's and everything, but its all controlled by one mouse. the mouse jumps from one computer to the other if u scroll to the side. it feels like a 2nd monitor. ish.

edit: nvm, just read the other comments, someone else listed the programs

Status
Not open for further replies.