Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming System

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2012 6:13:01 PM

I just got off of Newegg after placing my order. The parts should be here next Tuesday or Wednesday. I have always trusted the people of Toms Hardware and I just wanted to see what you guys thought about my new rig that I will be building. The plans for this rig are mainly gaming like MW3, Skyrim (with mods) Left 4 Dead, Crysis 2, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space and the like. Maybe video editing here and there if I feel like recording a game. I do plan to overclock this system to about 4.5GHz. I heard that this is a sweet spot for the Ivy Bridge series and their very warm cores. Anyways guys, just wanted to see what you guys think.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS (Chose this one for SLI/CFX)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Already own)

Video Card: MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case (Already own)

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply (Already own)

I planned to purchase a SSD to go with this rig, but money is a little tight right now. But for the H100, I will be mounting it to the pre-drilled holes at the top of the case under the 230mm fan and will make it a P/P system with the 230mm being an exhaust. I will post pictures of the build once I am done with it too! Just let me know that you guys think! Thanks :) 

More about : gaming system

May 24, 2012 6:16:38 PM

I personally would not have ordered the liquid cooler - I'd get a D14, and I'm not the biggest fan of MSI but otherwise that looks like a solid build. I really like Azza cases and plan to use the Hurrican for my next build but that's a couple years out. :lol: 
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:24:39 PM

I honestly did look at some of the Noctua coolers, but found out that almost all of the good coolers would hit my side panel fan. :/  So I decided to go with water due to the clearance issues I would have had. (Even the EVO 212 wont fit.) :p  Thanks for the reply though!
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2012 6:44:15 PM

Vaxorth25 said:
I honestly did look at some of the Noctua coolers, but found out that almost all of the good coolers would hit my side panel fan. :/  So I decided to go with water due to the clearance issues I would have had. (Even the EVO 212 wont fit.) :p  Thanks for the reply though!

No room in a full tower?! lol
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:50:00 PM

mad2 said:
No room in a full tower?! lol

It is kind of a narrow full tower, but it does the job well. The problem is the fan sticks out about an inch and a quarter into the case so it is hard to find air coolers to fit. My freezer 7 pro BARELY fits inside this thing. :p 
m
l
May 24, 2012 6:57:03 PM

Vaxorth25 said:
It is kind of a narrow full tower, but it does the job well. The problem is the fan sticks out about an inch and a quarter into the case so it is hard to find air coolers to fit. My freezer 7 pro BARELY fits inside this thing. :p 

Ah that makes more sense. That gtx 670 should kill all the games btw. It all looks good.
m
l
May 24, 2012 7:00:52 PM

mad2 said:
Ah that makes more sense. That gtx 670 should kill all the games btw. It all looks good.

Yeah the GTX 670 is an amazing GPU - I would have bought one if I didn't already buy my Radeon 7870.
m
l
May 24, 2012 7:19:04 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah the GTX 670 is an amazing GPU - I would have bought one if I didn't already buy my Radeon 7870.

I would have too if I wasnt a poor college student haha. I ended up getting a gtx 570 for 250$ and couldnt pass it up.
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:22:37 PM

It was actually tough getting my hands on one of these. I actually just walked outside to pick it up from UPS. I have to say, these things are SOLID compared to my HD 6850 this thing is about to dwarf. XD Just can't wait for the rest of the parts so I can get some pics up for you guys. It is going to be one nice rig to have for about 3-4 years. My good old Q9550 is going to a good home to spend hours playing Diablo 3. It's good to see that the processor still has some potential left in it. :p  It has served me well. :cry: 
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:37:00 PM

Yeah I haven't got my hands on DIII yet but really want to, but I've been seeing what my Ivy Bridge CPU can do and compared to my old Phenom II, it's a massive improvement so far, I love it. Great motherboard I got as well.
m
l
May 25, 2012 1:18:12 AM

I was thinking about getting another set of the Corsair memory, should I do that now or would it just be extreme overkill. (All of these parts are already overkill for mainstream games, considering you don't care about the eye candy like me.) :p  And I have played a little of Diablo 3, and I really enjoy it. :) 
m
l
May 25, 2012 1:56:31 AM

Vaxorth25 said:

I planned to purchase a SSD to go with this rig, but money is a little tight right now. But for the H100, I will be mounting it to the pre-drilled holes at the top of the case under the 230mm fan and will make it a P/P system with the 230mm being an exhaust. I will post pictures of the build once I am done with it too! Just let me know that you guys think! Thanks :) 

Nice, a push/pull H100 will surely beat the crap out of all air coolers in terms of performance, not to mention the tremendous stress created by the 1 kg weight from the highend air coolers hanging on the the motherboard. Make sure you get the Cougar 120 mm fans to avoid the noise issue and enjoy the setup!
m
l
May 25, 2012 1:59:01 AM

You do realize the retention plate holds most of the weight, right?
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:43:21 AM

That's something that I have always not liked about big bulky CPU coolers. They can put a lot a strain on your motherboard, even with a retention bracket on the back side. Anyways, I don't have to worry about that now because I have my H100. :)  And to Jacknhut, I was just gonna use the fans that Corsair supplied with the cooler, it will be controlled via PWM so once I get in game and the fans kick on, I won't be able to hear them. I have a 5.1 system that pretty much drowns out any sound that my system makes. :p 
m
l
May 25, 2012 8:35:39 AM

azeem40 said:
You do realize the retention plate holds most of the weight, right?

Retention plate is designed to securely put the cooler in place and distribute the force evenly but that doesn't mean the weight is magically gone. A 1 kg weight hanging on the socket creates the same stress with or without the plate. The plate just distribute the stress across the socket thats all, it doesn't make it go away.
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:27:46 PM

hey Vaxorth did you manage to fit the h100 in the solano 1000? and if so could you upload the pics by any chance i have the same case and i was thinking about buying the h100 as well but want to make sure it would fit in the case before hand thanks in advance if you could or at least if there was anything special that you had to do to make it fit
m
l
August 3, 2012 7:11:27 PM

Note I said MOST of the weight. :p 
m
l
!